Downpour Pros (ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ*:・゚✧

Murphy's been a bad boy ...

Moderator: Moderators

warfare315
Brookhaven Receptionist

Re: Downpour Pros (ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ*:・゚✧

Post by warfare315 »

I finally did the side-quests, and they are a lot of fun, and there are some surprising moments. I loved the whole side-quest at the movie theater. That was probably my favorite one.
Another frequency perpetuated into context, trapped in the eternal paradox.
vaporeyesofficial.bandcamp.com
Facebook.com/vaporeyesofficial
CandyLander
Just Passing Through

Post by CandyLander »

mikefile wrote:Well, CandyLander- your comment was very enlightening. Especially for those who hadn't played the game, as for instance: me.

The very first post clearly stated to MARK SPOILERS! I hope a mod notices this soon enough to prevent someone else from getting screwed like this.
sorry, but, in the first scene of the game, you see murphy doing that (i'm not gonna say what). i'm sorry for not marking the spoiler, I forgot it, but that was a really weak spoiler. Long story short (not so long) the game tells you that right at the start of the game. A spoiler would be telling you that
PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER_SHOW PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER:
Murphy also killed anne's father. Actually it wasn't him, but anne thinks it was him

anyways, sorry :(
Last edited by CandyLander on 12 Jun 2012, edited 2 times in total.
Have you seen a little girl? Short, black hair. Seven years old...
JuriDawn
SHH Cult Subscriber
SHH Cult Subscriber

Post by JuriDawn »

It may be something you discover early in the game, but it still has a strong impact on players who don't know about it in advance. I remember being very disturbed by it, and it wouldn't have gotten such a reaction if I'd known it would happen. That's what makes it a spoiler. Just please try to be more careful in the future.
Silent_Storm
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Silent_Storm »

I liked the way you opened doors.

I really liked how you could throw weapons at monsters (I took hardly any damage in the game).

I liked the ladders which could only be accessed using certain weapons.
What's the big deal - Laura
Severeth
Gravedigger

Post by Severeth »

Think one of the best things about Downpour is just how much there is to explore. The map is huge and there are barely any locked doors in comparison to the old titles...

The amount of sidequests was impressive, too.
I have a Youtube account where I sometimes post SH related videos. www.youtube.com/user/severeth

http://www.last.fm/user/Severeth
gostoneph17
Just Passing Through

Post by gostoneph17 »

Downpour, I think is my second favorite SH game for many reasons: exploration, side quests, music (even though there could have been more tracks), storyline (loved the plot twists), the way they present the story (we see flashbacks, and we are really in the flashback as a spectator sometimes), the Boogeyman and the doll monster, the puzzles. The game was very realistic and unique. It added something new to the SH series. :) Too bad it doesn't go well with the sales, it deserves much more, also hearing about Vatra closing is making it even worse. :(
Falconv1.0
Gravedigger

Post by Falconv1.0 »

Not sure where else to put this since it's not exactly a con but not exactly a pro either but eh here w ego.

I liked the side quests more than a lot of the main game. In fact, I felt they should have been part of the main game. I don't want to come off as bitchy seeing how this is a Downpour pros thread, but I felt it was kinda odd because having sidequests implies that your character is in fact just free to explore as much as he wants, I thought he wanted to escape asap. So why is he doing all of this stuff? I'm not saying the game needed to be more linear per se, just, if the outside world had been tied more into the actual narrative, I felt the game could have been stronger.
Your weaboo is showing
thy_butcher
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by thy_butcher »

I agree with you strongly Falcon. I enjoyed most of the sidequests to a great degree; and since I first beat Downpour I felt as though they should've been interlaced with the main path; not necessarily the sidequests beat-by-beat, but the unique ideas presented within them.
gostoneph17
Just Passing Through

Post by gostoneph17 »

I agree with the two comments above, they could be for example some clues in the main story that were important to the character's story, but we wouldn't understand them completely if we didn't do the side-quests. Like, the side-quests would explain more about the facts that Murphy got in the main story. They could do that in the next SH game. :)
thy_butcher
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by thy_butcher »

I don't mind sidequests at all, I'd just like fewer but more well-rounded ones.
PoemOfTheLastMoment
Gravedigger

Post by PoemOfTheLastMoment »

Yeah....the exploration is the only thing i like about the game. Too bad every alley start to look the same after 10 minutes. The whole game's textures are copied and pasted together. you see the same damn wall and furniture textures that break the immersion once you start to notice them.
Now I Know, The Real Reason Why I Came To This Town....I Wonder....What Was I Afraid Of? Without You..I've Got Nothing...Now, We Can Be Together Again.....Mary.....
Typographenia
Historical Society Historian

Post by Typographenia »

Like most video games?

It's not like the previous SH games didn't reuse assets like crazy either.
Augophthalmoses
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Augophthalmoses »

Typographenia wrote:Like most video games?

It's not like the previous SH games didn't reuse assets like crazy either.
Well said. I know many of SH1's alleyways (especially the ones with the garage houses) were pretty similar. The random corpses you'd find at dead end alleyways or streets in SH2 all pretty much looked alike and I can't recall any differences between them. You could probably make up some theory of why they're supposed to look similar, but it doesn't change anything. SH3 also reused the dead James model in SH2 to sit in for Harry.

Not to mention SH4 made us go made us go through all the environments of the first half of the game (save the Hospital World) a second time. And while there are some cosmetic and personal details in the apartment rooms that differ from each, the layouts of the rooms end up looking pretty similar.
KiramidHead

Post by KiramidHead »

Yup, in SH1 they even copy/pasted the same house interior.
PoemOfTheLastMoment
Gravedigger

Post by PoemOfTheLastMoment »

KiramidHead wrote:Yup, in SH1 they even copy/pasted the same house interior.
You do realize its more noticeable in HD then it is on a PS1 era game.
Now I Know, The Real Reason Why I Came To This Town....I Wonder....What Was I Afraid Of? Without You..I've Got Nothing...Now, We Can Be Together Again.....Mary.....
Wigeke
Woodside Apartments Janitor

Post by Wigeke »

And that justifies it somehow? It's cheaper to produce low polygon assets for a PS1 era game. Making HD stuff is more expensive so it's more understandable why they did it now.
alone in the town

Post by alone in the town »

I know you've all been holding your breath, waiting for my impressions. So.

I would say this game is the best in the series at two things.

- Murphy is, far and away, the most interesting and believable (and likable) protagonist. I found his story fascinating and (bearing in mind I've not seen all the endings yet) his motives make sense. I could really understand him and what he did. I liked his reactions to things as well.

- The Otherworld was amazing and super creative, even when I account for the chase scenes (definitely the thing I hate most about the game). I thought Silent Hill 3 would possess the most sinister and virulent otherside. Downpour's leaves it utterly in the dust. I also adore how often the game would get deliciously screwy even when you're in the normalside, such as seen in the orphanage playhouse and the movie theater sidequest. What I consider central to the series, what makes a Silent Hill game Silent Hill, is the idea of the mind influencing an alternate reality. Downpour did a fantastic job. Some parts of the game are beautifully surreal.

- The combat was acceptable, better than what I was expecting. The idea of breakable weapons repelled me, but there are so many weapons to find in this game that it didn't matter. There was almost always an option.

- A few of the sidequests, such as the Gramophone and the Movie Theater, were pretty awesome.

- I thought Daniel Licht did a completely acceptable job with the score.

- This has been the least self-referential Silent Hill game in ten years. There were callbacks to older games but Downpour's story was not shoe-horned into the meta-narrative at all. I loved this.

- There was no emphasis on the cult or the religion.

- Throwing weapons is fun and hilarious.
Rev
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Rev »

^ Oh god, everything up here, especially regarding the Otherworld and the combat/weapons, which so many people give the game gaff for. The Otherworld made sense to Murphy's symbolism, and the water effects were just gorgeous. The M. C. Escher-inspired themes during the diner Otherworld was just mind blowing.

The combat was fun and versatile. I enjoyed being able to pistol whip monsters or hurl a fire extinguisher at their face, or beat things to death with a chair leg. It's actually a step up from just finding a single weapon that you can carry with you throughout the game to just wail on all your enemies (and many of them I never even wind up using. Meanwhile, Downpour forces you to make use of what's on hand and I loved that).

Also, throwing rocks and hammers and pickaxes at the Weeping Bats while in the mines? Oddly cathartic.
Typographenia

Post by Typographenia »

I must say, I'm really shocked at how positive your impressions of the game are, Ryan. Not that you wouldn't have any praise for it, but it was certainly more than I would have assumed would come from you.
Really glad to hear you enjoyed so much of the game. I thought it was a solid entry into the franchise. : )
eddieatemypizza
Just Passing Through

Post by eddieatemypizza »

when the game isnt constantly f***ing itself with framerate issues and bogging down theres actually alot i do like about this game. for one the opening is fantastically done. It just makes you think ok, wtf is this all about but then you find out later on. also makes you wonder if the whole thing was a dream or not to start out with. the town itself is just awesome presentation wise, there's numerous places to explore and you have free run to whenever you wanna go..the rain aspect of the game is cool..the plot was great..those movie scenes where you actually get to go into the movie so to speak was really neat. the shadow manaquin monsters were awesome (about the only monster that i liked and found challenging). this really had the opportunity to be an awesome game but they released it with so many friggin problems with it that its just such a hassle play..seems like nobody today wants to take the extra month or 2 to fix glitches or lag problems anymore..just sad..