Downpour Cons ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)

Murphy's been a bad boy ...

Moderator: Moderators

PoemOfTheLastMoment
Gravedigger

Re: Downpour Cons ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)

Post by PoemOfTheLastMoment »

CandyLander wrote:
PoemOfTheLastMoment wrote: puzzles were fundamentally flawed especially the lockers as there no logical hints to help the player, instead focusing only on chance.
there was no puzzle where the game wouldn't give you the code for the locker. unless you're talking about the lockers that give you weapons for those codes that you get by buying the game in specific places.
Konami goes the way of Capcom.
Now I Know, The Real Reason Why I Came To This Town....I Wonder....What Was I Afraid Of? Without You..I've Got Nothing...Now, We Can Be Together Again.....Mary.....
silenthillking
Just Passing Through

Post by silenthillking »

I felt the game was more mystical than scary now the cons

1 if you go to the boat near the end of the game and walk back towards the bridge you have to lower on the way when you come to the big truck it will pop in out of nowhere very very off
putting

2 when walking around the town there`s a feeling of (is this a pre beta build) from the music cutting out to sound tracks playing over one another then there`s the monsters
when it`s not raining there seems to be a bug type feel because hardly anything is trying to get you. Then there`s the prison monsters that seem to stay away from you always backing away

3 when you travel through the tunnel and are going to outdoors the game world is black then as you walk up the stairs the blue fog comes in. speaking of fog why does it look the way it does the fog in sh2 looked better.

4 the game feels cut down if you think of it there`s not much to do main mission wise
also i would of liked to see more side missions.

5 the monsters seeing as it`s a story about a child kidnapper you would think the monster would represent that in the form. Also the boss or better still 1 boss and a final boss there needed to be more a lot more.

6 I would of liked this the dev to be star breeze the game running of the engine that made
the darkness the composer to be the guy how did the soundtrack from shadowman the video game or a band called mortiis and the creature designer to be H. R. Giger. Now
that would of been a good downpour.
Leo Ho Tep
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Leo Ho Tep »

ok, I'm in the spoiler free thread. So why was I spoiled when I read the cons thread?
pink_isnt_well000
Historical Society Historian

Post by pink_isnt_well000 »

Because some times people fail at using spoiler tags even though it is mentioned in the first post to MARK THEM.
Dr-G0nz0
Just Passing Through

Post by Dr-G0nz0 »

PoemOfTheLastMoment wrote:
CandyLander wrote:
PoemOfTheLastMoment wrote: puzzles were fundamentally flawed especially the lockers as there no logical hints to help the player, instead focusing only on chance.
there was no puzzle where the game wouldn't give you the code for the locker. unless you're talking about the lockers that give you weapons for those codes that you get by buying the game in specific places.
Konami goes the way of Capcom.
The irony is when the day the game came out, I went online and got the code to open said content. :P Wasn't a massive way of screwing people over really.
"Oh, you think darkness is your ally. You merely adopted the dark; I was born in it, moulded by it. I didn't see the light until I was already a man, by then it was nothing to me but BLINDING! " -Bane
asdf'
Just Passing Through

Post by asdf' »

1.monster design
2.nightmare world transactions it wasn't creep. Or scary
3.the void
4.trying to read the map was frausting
5.mystery there wasn't any (maybe the plot)
6.moral choice scheme
7.the plot it'self was not that strong on its own
Lahkesis
Just Passing Through

Post by Lahkesis »

-Terrible monster designs
-Bland, unlikeable characters
-Lack of scares (for me)
-Weak plot
-The Boogyman
-Didn't feel like Silent Hill at all
DistantJ
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by DistantJ »

My main gripes with Downpour disappeared when I installed it to my new Xbox 360's hard drive. Those being the stuttering framerates and the fact that sometimes the disk would start making noises when loading monsters, often killing off the surprise/suspense. Once installed the framerate seems much more stable and the disk noise doesn't happen so I don't get surprises ruined.

The fact that you can sometimes run straight past maps and things, on a later playthrough I missed the town map and couldn't find my way back to where it was, and that resulted in a restart.

Sometimes on replays I want to skip cut scenes. As much as I love the story and animation sometimes I just want to get on with the game when I've seen it all before.

I adore the game, can't find much to dislike about it to be honest.
Where we're from, the birds sing a pretty song, and there's always music in the air.
MuffinCraft
Just Passing Through

Post by MuffinCraft »

Chugging frame rates and no save points.

Checking your health status via 'statistics' in the start menu.

The repetitive rather boring monster designs (at least they didn't burp).

The ragdoll physics, which should never be done in any survival horror game.

Running from the void... and just the void in general.

None of the puzzles made you really think, they were all pretty much 'find the numbers' or 'make the picture'.

The ladder harpoon gimmick.
PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER_SHOW PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER:
The Silent Hill 4 room, I was so excited to find it and then really disappointed to find out all you get is a med kit and a gun... you can't do ANYTHING in the room, at the very least they could have let you interact with the peep hole in the door.
Side quests. I started doing all the side quests from the start, really trying to get each thing done... but in the end all the side quests did was give you items (med kits, guns etc) and I just didn't feel like I accomplished anything other than make the game last longer.
The only side quest I did like was in an apartment you access with the stupid harpoon. Looked it up it's “The Gramophone" side quest that involves ghosts and the scene of a murder.
The entire end game.
End game literally forces you to fight multiple monsters in locked rooms when all the other scenarios you could run away from them. The game also tells you NOT to fight multiple monsters at the same time, so why do they force you to do so at the end?

The puzzle in the prison room (where the license plates are made) with the forensic flashlight. The stupid machines that would constantly turn on and spawn monsters every time. I didn't know about the stupid number on the ceiling and got extremely frustrated with it, especially with limited degrading weapons.

The last void run seemed incredibly hard for some reason compared to the others and EVERY time you fail it you had to do the stupid shower scene and collect the evidence over again.

The wheelchair boss. Until you actually beat the game and find out who that is... it doesn't make any sense, and why is he telekinetically throwing furniture at you?!
The Bogeyman.
They couldn't have thrown the fact that Murphy was the Bogeyman in your face any harder if it was a pie. Playing him end game, while satisfying to smash the monsters, was really frustrating trying to catch Cunningham.
DistantJ
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by DistantJ »

MuffinCraft wrote:Checking your health status via 'statistics' in the start menu.
I never actually did this, I've always judged health by Murphy's posture and how much blood he has on himself, I think that was the intention of the developers and I really liked it, personally.
Where we're from, the birds sing a pretty song, and there's always music in the air.
Yuki

Post by Yuki »

MuffinCraft wrote: Checking your health status via 'statistics' in the start menu.
You've had to do this in almost every other installment of the series.
clips
Woodside Apartments Janitor

Post by clips »

DistantJ wrote:
MuffinCraft wrote:Checking your health status via 'statistics' in the start menu.
I never actually did this, I've always judged health by Murphy's posture and how much blood he has on himself, I think that was the intention of the developers and I really liked it, personally.

Yeah...i didn't even know you could do that. i too just went by the condition of his clothing...heh in the older games i just went by how fast the controller vibrated when i was low on health..
CandyLander
Just Passing Through

Post by CandyLander »

Also just realized that, if the game had more fog, the town would look pretty much endless. the town in donwnpour is already a lot bigger than in some of the other games, so if the fog was actually there, the game would have been a lot more scary. in all the games since sh origins, the fog is always too thin.
Have you seen a little girl? Short, black hair. Seven years old...
Silent Fantasy

Post by Silent Fantasy »

CandyLander wrote:Also just realized that, if the game had more fog, the town would look pretty much endless. the town in donwnpour is already a lot bigger than in some of the other games, so if the fog was actually there, the game would have been a lot more scary. in all the games since sh origins, the fog is always too thin.
What used to be a way to cover up pop up and lag is now a problem in itself to render appearently. That, or they have the idea that people get frustrated if the fog is too close.
I miss the thick dancing fog of the non-HD SH2 and 3...
WARNING: Some Parts of Reality May Seem Violent or Cruel.
Silent_Storm
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Silent_Storm »

How hard would it be to add a 'fog adjust' slider in the options.

I haven't been able to play a single video game in the last 12 months so Downpour is still have unseen to me but I did not like the inclusion of the devil pit area, although it was well designed I thought it weird how it had never been mentioned before in the Silent Hill series.

I think the void chase scenes worked well but should have been fewer and far between, also less linear, it would of been good if you had some walls to climb over or some ducking to do
What's the big deal - Laura
Jonipoon
Subway Guard

Post by Jonipoon »

While I found the story to be intriguing, well-done, and feature a proper mindfuck at the end, I couldn't help but thinking it was hasty put together in some way.

There were too many characters, which made me lose focus. They could've shrunken the amount of characters to a lesser few and only kept the most important ones. Characters such as DJ Ricks, the mailman, JP Sater, the boy, the girl, and the nun were unnecessary, and I felt their only function was to be there because it made good dialouge. Most of them were unrelevant to the main plot (not even tied to the sidequests).
When there's too many characters in a Silent Hill game, it feels too realistic which I dont like.

The monsters were a big letdown. Except for Wheelman and the weeping bats, most of them felt very... un-Silenthillish. The Dolls were OK, but the Prisoners were just ridiculous and the Screamers could've been done much better. But most importantly, there were too few monsters and those that existed were poorly overused.

The Bogeyman could very well be one of the worst monsters/characters ever made for a Silent Hill game. Not only does it rip off Pyramid Head, but also the cult members.

The side quests took away too much focus of the main plot, and just felt like a huge filler.

Lastly, while it's not a big complaint, I somewhat missed a few more extras. They had the opportunity to include alot of sweet extra costumes and weapons, but they didn't. When I first found the golden gun I thought "Well that means there's gonna be an agent tuxedo somewhere!".... but no.
I EAT GALAXIES FOR BREAKFAST.
Silent Fantasy

Post by Silent Fantasy »

The Bogeyman in Downpour is nothing like pyramid head. The only similarities he has is being big (bigger than Pyramid Head actually) and having a large weapon. Other than that, his demeanor is completely different, he is completely different symbolically, and is implemented differently than Pyramid Head.
The only "rip-off" of PH that has been made is The Butcher, considering the most he had going that isn't similar to PH is his symbolic meaning.

I agree about the extra characters, though. They were ultimately pointless and unnecessary.
thy_butcher
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by thy_butcher »

The little girl is infinitely more important than you give her credit for; if only for Anne.
The little boy isn't useless either, I feel.

I liked JP & Howard immensely... but they were implemented in a way that destroyed their potential.

Ricks & the nun... they were a bit pointless... maybe :)
Silent Fantasy

Post by Silent Fantasy »

The children obviously had their place in the plot. It's Howard, and to an even greater extent, JP, the nun, and DJ Ricks who really had no business in the game.
Anything they did could have been implemented in another way as to not have those characters in the game. Not physically at the very least.

Of course, I say they are pointless and it could have been done better, but they don't actually bother me. I don't care how many characters they push into a Silent Hill game as long as they have a reason for being there, and the excuses (or lack thereof in some cases) for these select characters in Downpour didn't cut it for me.
EmilietheStrange
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by EmilietheStrange »

Jonipoon wrote: When I first found the golden gun I thought "Well that means there's gonna be an agent tuxedo somewhere!".... but no.
I also thought the golden gun would do something special, but it doesn't. No infinite ammo, no super powerful bullets, nothing. It seemed like the golden gun was identical to the regular handgun in every way save for color.

A few months ago, I played through the game again, and I did all the sidequests except for the shadow symbols one, and I must say I was really disappointed by the rewards. Ammo and health kits is pretty much all you get, though you'll sometimes get a gold gun or a more durable melee weapon.

Completing the sidequests should have at least unlocked different costumes or some alien weaponry.