Was Murphy ready to leave before Anne showed up on the boat?

Murphy's been a bad boy ...

Moderator: Moderators

teosoleil
My Bestsellers Clerk

Was Murphy ready to leave before Anne showed up on the boat?

Post by teosoleil »

I was going to post this in silenthillking's thread "Why are you here.", but decided it deserves its own thread.
thy_butcher wrote:I see the monsters & the Otherworld of Downpour as mainly Anne's. Murphy is the playable secondary character, one that is sucked into the circumstances due to Anne's desire for revenge.
IMO, I think each monster is for both Anne and Murphy, even more clear after the lake scene.

Murphy is all ready to sail away and leave towards a bright sunrise, already finished with dealing with the Charlie arc...then Anne shows up. The town is now dark and foggy again.

What confuses me is this: if Murphy WAS meant to sail away and leave Silent Hill (attaining the freedom key and showing the sunrise) before Anne showed up, were the writers deliberately ignoring Murphy's connection to Coleridge (which still would have caused him to stay in the alternate worlds)? Or was his experience of seeing Coleridge's die just not important enough for him to face it in the town?

Or, would he still have been able to leave without helping Anne deal with her issues? (Which brings the question; are there "requirements" for staying in SH in order to clear someone else's problems?)

Maybe this even points to one of the endings: if Murphy didn't feel guilty for Coleridge's death, as Sewell murdered him, he really had nothing to deal with, though extremely unlikely as Murphy doesn't seem like a cold-hearted bastard.

What do you think?
AuraTwilight
Historical Society Historian

Re: Was Murphy ready to leave before Anne showed up on the b

Post by AuraTwilight »

Silent Hill is just a mirror that reflects your own mind back at you. Murphy has no big emotional investment in Coleridge's death in the same way he does Charlie's because everything else is an after-effect of that. He already accepted that getting himself into jail and doing all of these shady things were WRONG. Confronting the Coleridge thing would have been redundant.
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
CandyLander
Just Passing Through

Post by CandyLander »

No. Murphy was still feeling guilty about Frank's death, so he had to confront it. And so was Anne.
Have you seen a little girl? Short, black hair. Seven years old...
AuraTwilight
Historical Society Historian

Post by AuraTwilight »

Murphy really had no idea about Frank though, how could he have felt guilty about it? He lives beyond the encounter in every possible scenario.
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
wonder's boy
Woodside Apartments Janitor

Post by wonder's boy »

Even without knowing Anne's place in it all, Murphy and Frank still had a relationship beforehand. Frank's appearance as the Wheelchair Man and the phantom voice always gave me the impression that he did have some strong feelings regarding him and the riot event at the prison. Murphy seems to look at Frank with respect and thankfulness at some points, even saying something along the lines of, "You were always looking out for me..." or whatever, so I find it hard to believe that Murphy didn't feel guilt or something due to his death.

Murphy may have gotten past his core issues regarding his son, but the cause and effect of where that incident and his choices lead him, and his heavy involvement in Anne's beef, leads me to believe that he may have been in a state of "ignorant blissfulness" when he reaches the boat, just because he doesn't realize how Anne fits in it all. It's when she steps in that he begins to realize that he's not truly past all his guck, furthering the mystery at that point in the game.

I almost want to say that he's deceived into thinking he's ready to leave through overcoming some issues with his son's death, or even misled, but that doesn't sound right. More like, he's lead to believe he is, but there's still a half of the puzzle that he hasn't quite understood, the part he's half-ignorant to: Anne.

Either way, I don't truly believe he'd be ready to leave before Anne showed up on the boat. I believe he does have some unaddressed concerns at that point, whether he realizes them or not.
Music created by the fans, for the fans. . . . . . . . . . . . . . Vol. 1 | Vol. 2 | Vol. 3
CandyLander
Just Passing Through

Post by CandyLander »

AuraTwilight wrote:Murphy really had no idea about Frank though, how could he have felt guilty about it? He lives beyond the encounter in every possible scenario.
I thought that murphy thought that Frank had died at the moment. That, of course, before Anne told him otherwise. I feel like I'm the only one giving short answers, but I don't fell like elaborating a lot >:D
Have you seen a little girl? Short, black hair. Seven years old...
Yoshata
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Yoshata »

I have to agree with wonder's boy. Murphy seemed to me to have an emotional investment in his relationship with Frank Coleridge before he died, and he felt badly because Frank died. After all, Sewell originally
PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER_SHOW PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER:
put Murphy up to murdering Frank, so Murphy was involved in that situation, whether he actually killed Frank or not.
I think Murphy just really wanted to leave because he didn't want to be screwed with anymore, and he had already just gone through a heavily emotional ordeal. Wouldn't anyone want to leave and be done at that point?
Soulless-Shadow
Subway Guard

Post by Soulless-Shadow »

I agree with Wonder's Boy. I think Frank, and what happened to him, was affecting Murphy more than we were originally led to believe. If Frank meant so little to Murphy, then we wouldn't have seen or heard from him as much as we did. Sure, Anne was responsible for some of his appearances, but not all.

Having said all that, I also think that Murphy wouldn't have been able to leave, even if he was ready. Anne, or something from her otherworld, would have prevented him leaving, at least until she was finished with her part in everything.