Vatra closing?

Murphy's been a bad boy ...

Moderator: Moderators

wonder's boy
Woodside Apartments Janitor

Re: Vatra closing?

Post by wonder's boy »

Honestly, before Downpour, I wasn't expecting a lot of the Shattered Memories-like gameplay to return. Yet was pleasantly surprised, of course, when footage started coming out. I assumed early on that, after Shattered Memories, they'd try and return to the same forumuler they had tried with Homecoming and Origins. Thank goodness they made some different, riskier choices... It's just, somehow SM initially felt like an experiment or a spinoff, though it proved to be so much more than that.
Music created by the fans, for the fans. . . . . . . . . . . . . . Vol. 1 | Vol. 2 | Vol. 3
Hydra666
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Hydra666 »

I want Climax back.
Lucita
Just Passing Through

Post by Lucita »

That's sad, the guys had potential....¬¬
"Ignore the voice, it'll go away!"
=====================
leftshoe18
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by leftshoe18 »

Hydra666 wrote:I want Climax back.
This. If Vatra closes, I want them to hand the next game back to Climax. Shattered Memories is one of my favorites in the series and I'd be crazy to not want another game from the dev team responsible for it.
Mephisto
Historical Society Historian

Post by Mephisto »

Yeah, but they should just do a different story. I don't want SH1 re-visited for the third time...
Droo

Post by Droo »

Mephisto wrote:Yeah, but they should just do a different story. I don't want SH1 re-visited for the third time...
What reason could you possibly have for thinking this is what they'd do?
"Oh yeah, I've been here before
I can see it with eyes closed
Shadows that look like blood
Dead as far as the mind goes
Fear that comes from my head
Lives in the mirror"
Skele
Subway Guard

Post by Skele »

Im guessing he meant he hopes they do something different? im in the same boat. i mean, they've done 2 games and both had an association to the first game. I'm not a fan of Climax at all, but who else is Konami going to hand the series off to? i just hope 3rd times a charm, and i enjoy whatever it is they create.
wonder's boy
Woodside Apartments Janitor

Post by wonder's boy »

After playing Shattered Memories, which was original in many ways even "completely new" games, such as Homecoming and Origins, failed to be, I have faith that the team could come up with an awesome original Silent Hill game.
Music created by the fans, for the fans. . . . . . . . . . . . . . Vol. 1 | Vol. 2 | Vol. 3
Agent of God
Subway Guard

Post by Agent of God »

Droo wrote:
Mephisto wrote:Yeah, but they should just do a different story. I don't want SH1 re-visited for the third time...
What reason could you possibly have for thinking this is what they'd do?
Everything they've done so far revolves around Silent Hill 1.
We are still here...
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

Yea, the whole TWO things they've done, one of which (Origins) was passed to them instead of being 100% their own creation.
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
Agent of God
Subway Guard

Post by Agent of God »

Doesn't change the fact that everything they've done revolves around SH1.
I liked both 0rigins and Shattered Memories, therefore I like Climax. They haven't actually contributed to the story, though. Still waiting for that.
We are still here...
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

I can't blame them for Origins though when they weren't the ones who wrote the script for it. When your boss tells you to "Do X", you've gotta do X. And Shattered Memories was basically almost entirely original, commentating on the whole franchise using SH1/SH3 as a metaphor for it.

"They haven't contributed to the story" is dumb. What story? They've created a prequel and they've created an entirely new universe that's richer than half the games that came before it.
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
Agent of God
Subway Guard

Post by Agent of God »

" And Shattered Memories was basically almost entirely original, commentating on the whole franchise using SH1/SH3 as a metaphor for it.

It used the SH2 formula, only backwards. The resulting scenario involved a reimagined SH1 cast. What was "almost entirely original" was the gameplay.

"They've created an entirely new universe that's richer than half the games that came before it."

How in the name of Jesus can you describe SHSM as having a rich universe. Richer than half the games that came before it? It was a standalone story that was so character based that, when you compare it to the mythology of the canon games, you're left with nothing. Abso-fucking-lutely nothing.
That said, I loved the game for what it was. Still not a contribution to the main series storyline.

Climax is a good team, they deserve to take the series on their hands. What remains to be seen is if they have potential in originality (story-wise).
We are still here...
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

It used the SH2 formula, only backwards. The resulting scenario involved a reimagined SH1 cast. What was "almost entirely original" was the gameplay.
What is "The SH2 formula?" Because that sort of terminology is completely useless. It's presentation that matters in storytelling, not the content. In that context, Shattered Memories stands completely unique in the series.
How in the name of Jesus can you describe SHSM as having a rich universe. Richer than half the games that came before it? It was a standalone story that was so character based that, when you compare it to the mythology of the canon games, you're left with nothing.
The mythology doesn't matter. Silent Hill has always been character-based at it's core. The mythology is just window dressing to stylize the environments and give certain characters their religious motivations. On the basis of character study, Cheryl is the deepest character since James, possibly moreso.
That said, I loved the game for what it was. Still not a contribution to the main series storyline.
Who cares about the main series storyline? Most people are getting tired of it. Most of the biggest complaints about the series I've been seeing is "i'm tired of the cult" or "Silent Hill's history is stuffed too full now" or "Homecoming was a good game, but it's not a good Silent Hill game; it contradicted the canon so it doesn't fit, booo!"

Frankly, the series would probably be better off if everything was a separate universe like Shattered Memories was. The writers will have complete freedom to write the best possible product they can give us without having to worry about stepping on Team Silent's toes.
Mephisto

Post by Mephisto »

Who cares about the main series storyline? Most people are getting tired of it. Most of the biggest complaints about the series I've been seeing is "i'm tired of the cult" or "Silent Hill's history is stuffed too full now" or "Homecoming was a good game, but it's not a good Silent Hill game; it contradicted the canon so it doesn't fit, booo!"
I do. And I'm damn sure others do, too.

Just because some are more vocal about "OHMIGOD!!1 GET RID OF DA F@UKIN CULT ALREADYZ" does not make it the absolute truth. The religion aspect is one of the main reasons of why I enjoy the series and I'd definitely like it if it comes back in a, hopefully, near future.
KiramidHead

Post by KiramidHead »

And Homecoming hardly contradicts the canon, but I digress.
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

Mephisto wrote:
I do. And I'm damn sure others do, too.

Just because some are more vocal about "OHMIGOD!!1 GET RID OF DA F@UKIN CULT ALREADYZ" does not make it the absolute truth. The religion aspect is one of the main reasons of why I enjoy the series and I'd definitely like it if it comes back in a, hopefully, near future.
And yet, the cult isn't the focus of the story at best, and is explicitly throttling the story at worst. Look at Origins, which is generally agreed would've been better served if the Alessa plotline was cut out of it so it could focus on Travis.

The cult might be one of your favorite aspects to the series, but it's becoming bloated and becoming unrealistic. All of it's ground as Team Silent intended was covered, and even then, to make new content for it, they have to get more and more zany and over the top evil.
And Homecoming hardly contradicts the canon, but I digress.
Not saying it does per se, I just used it as an example of common complaints. Some people feel it contradicts some of what came before it, making it's good ideas impossible to utilize. Another example would be Downpour, and how it seems to insist that the Otherworld in it's current form predated Alessa, and retconned Silent Hill to have this Mystical Negro stereotype that acts as the town's spokesperson.
Agent of God
Subway Guard

Post by Agent of God »

The writers will have complete freedom to write the best possible product they can give us without having to worry about stepping on Team Silent's toes.
That would basically mean: ''We're out of ideas, so we're making original concepts and marketing them as Silent Hill''.
If that's all you think is left of Silent Hill, then why not make a new series?
Want "complete freedom"? Make your own original IP.

When I'm playing a game called Silent Hill, I want it to feature the town called Silent Hill. That's not something you can reimagine with each game that comes out. And it's mythology is something that can exist with or without the cult (SH2 and SH4).
We are still here...
Seal of Megatron
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Seal of Megatron »

"mystical negro stereotype".....well that's the pepsimax I was drinking all over the screen.
Who's the man? Me!!
Mephisto

Post by Mephisto »

And yet, the cult isn't the focus of the story at best, and is explicitly throttling the story at worst. Look at Origins, which is generally agreed would've been better served if the Alessa plotline was cut out of it so it could focus on Travis.

The cult might be one of your favorite aspects to the series, but it's becoming bloated and becoming unrealistic. All of it's ground as Team Silent intended was covered, and even then, to make new content for it, they have to get more and more zany and over the top evil.
When I say "Cult" and religion I'm technically adressing to everything related to it's mythos and hierarchy within the Order itself. Not about only Alessa and the God.

The way I see it, some aspects of it became obsolete when Silent Hill 3 happened. Though perhaps (and more than likely) people are upset about the Order because Homecoming made them bloodthirsty nutheads that created another religion that shamed the previous. I don't really know.

But Silent Hill 4 is the only game that made it right. And that's what I'd like to see happening again. If it wasn't for Walter's story we wouldn't even know anything about the inside.

And I can agree with Agent. Silent Hill can perfectly survive without the Order. We just have to take a look at Silent Hill 2. Even Downpour made it right. But c'mon... I can't give any better reason apart from my opinion.