Stereoscopical 3d - Experiences? Pros/Cons?

Murphy's been a bad boy ...

Moderator: Moderators

EnlighteningDarkness
Just Passing Through

Stereoscopical 3d - Experiences? Pros/Cons?

Post by EnlighteningDarkness »

Hello,

First off, I used the search function but I couldn't find a thread remotely dedicated to the experiences with the stereoscopical 3d support in Downpour.
I was wondering why that's the case though, so I started one (I hope I'm not doing anything wrong here, I'm new)

So, for those who have a 3d-tv:
Did you play Downpour in 3d? What did you prefer, 2d or 3d?
Did it somehow enhance your experience or not? If it did, is there any special place you would like to point out that impressed you the most?
Did it enhance the creepyness for you?
Did you think it could've been better implemented?

I did play it in 3d (obviously, hence the thread) and I'm still unsure about it.
Of course, it's eye straining, but thats not the only thing. The lack of strong colours due to the shutter glasses somehow affects my Silent Hill experience more than I thought. I also think there definitely could've been more visual depth, sometimes it seemed really flat I think.
On the other hand, I really found it to be a refreshing feature for the Silent Hill franchise and I still enjoy it. I've played through the Centennial Building in 2d and 3d and both had its pros and cons, so they're pretty much tied for me.

What about you?
thy_butcher
Brookhaven Receptionist

Re: Stereoscopical 3d - Experiences? Pros/Cons?

Post by thy_butcher »

I personally didn't play in 3D, although I would have liked to.

Honestly though, I've always felt that the 3D compatibility in Downpour was shoehorned in, which is disappointing.

There are parts of the game that I think would've been great to see in 3D, namely a certain area with a certain amount of paper drifting in the air...

I personally hope to see the newest hot-piece of gaming tech, the "Occulus Rift" be brought to consoles and fully implemented in the next SH game; and yes, I know that's unlikely. ;)
EnlighteningDarkness
Just Passing Through

Oh yeah, the Oculus Rift ist definitely interesting. If it wasn't just a development kit right now I probably would've bought it with DOOM BFG Edition. That + a good SH would be like christmas + birthday together.

About 3d being shoehorned in:
A lot of people wrote that 3d in Downpour gives them a whole new feeling and takes it to a higher level. Also some 3d review site said that it's a good example how 3d should be implemented if done correctly. I'm not sure how much time the developers spent on it, but I guess it was serious to them?
CandyLander
Just Passing Through

Post by CandyLander »

I played some moments of the game in 3d. I mean, I played untill murphy got to the caves. I don't really think the game in 3d has any difference to the 2d version, except for the 3d itself, but i might be wrong.
Have you seen a little girl? Short, black hair. Seven years old...
EnlighteningDarkness
Just Passing Through

Of course it doesn't, what would you expect in terms of "extra content"?

This thread was about whether it enhanced your experience or whether it's more of a useless gimmick to you.
CandyLander
Just Passing Through

Post by CandyLander »

EnlighteningDarkness wrote:Of course it doesn't, what would you expect in terms of "extra content"?

This thread was about whether it enhanced your experience or whether it's more of a useless gimmick to you.
in mk9, there are some character moves such as kung lao's hat throw that actually "leave the screen" with the 3d. that's what I meant. There's no point where the game seems to have done to be played in 3d (wich is kinda good, because I would laugh If I saw a monster doing something related to the 3d, such as going towards the screen and kind of leaving it, samara style XD)
Have you seen a little girl? Short, black hair. Seven years old...