Silent Hill Downpour - Anne's Story graphic novel

Murphy's been a bad boy ...

Moderator: Moderators

clips
Woodside Apartments Janitor

Re: Silent Hill Downpour - Anne's Story graphic novel

Post by clips »

Droo wrote:This looks far more interesting and appealing to me than the game was.

I actually liked the game, but this comic seems faaarrr better than the garbage that was "Dying Inside"...the first SH comic.
KiramidHead
Historical Society Historian

Post by KiramidHead »

I've got my copy ordered. Hopefully it'll live up to the Tom Waltz standard.
thy_butcher
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by thy_butcher »

I bought one too. It'll be my first comic.
I wonder how many issues there'll be?
KiramidHead

Post by KiramidHead »

I believe there's going to be four issues.
HeartlessBastard
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by HeartlessBastard »

clips wrote:but this comic seems faaarrr better than the garbage that was "Dying Inside"...the first SH comic.
Wich isn´t much of a competition. Dying Inside is probably the worse comic ive ever read.
"Good people should love their enemies" - Seu Madruga
KiramidHead

Post by KiramidHead »

I just got done with issue one, and I more or less liked it. The flashbacks showing Anne's side of the back story are very nicely done, and I liked the interaction she had with the bus driver.
PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER_SHOW PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER:
It was also great seeing JP again,and the stuff on the train was genuinely creepy. "One more ride!" brrrrrrrrr
I will say that things feel a tad rushed. Not a lot, but some. Maybe that was to make room for the obscene amount of ad space at the end, but I don't know for sure.
HeartlessBastard wrote:
clips wrote:but this comic seems faaarrr better than the garbage that was "Dying Inside"...the first SH comic.
Wich isn´t much of a competition. Dying Inside is probably the worse comic ive ever read.
I think Dead/Alive is even worse.
thy_butcher
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by thy_butcher »

I went through Issue 1 when I got home from work. It took a few minutes.
Overall, I'm disappointed.
Anne's Story suffers because it's working around the flimsy foundation that is SH: Downpour's narrative.
Unfortunately, everything felt very shoe-horned in.
The writing was uninspired.
The pacing was non-existent.

What was there to like? The art. The art is fantastic.
There are a couple of panels that annoyed me greatly due to Anne's un-needed sexualization in them, but at least they were still nice looking.
Rev
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Rev »

Sexualization what? I read the issue twice and didn't get any vibes that Anne was being sexualized in any way.

I do agree that the art is fantastic, though.
thy_butcher
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by thy_butcher »

@Rev
PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER_SHOW PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER:
Whenever Anne is lying in bed... a strap on her tanktop is down over her shoulder and in a separate panel she has a lot of noticeable cleavage.

I don't want to come off as ignorant or anything... but I really do feel that those details were unnecessary and out of place.
It's nothing major, I know, but it still seems like sexualization. I really liked Anne in Downpour because she wasn't sexualized at all.
I'm just getting sick of the way females are portrayed in fiction. It makes me sad.
KiramidHead

Post by KiramidHead »

I think that was just realistic of the situation she was in, waking up in bed, as opposed to chasing a convict through a rainy forest/town.
Rev
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Rev »

KiramidHead wrote:I think that was just realistic of the situation she was in, waking up in bed, as opposed to chasing a convict through a rainy forest/town.
Agreed. And I hardly consider noticeable cleavage grounds for "sexualizing" a character. It's just cleavage. Women tend to have them.

As a woman, flimsy spaghetti straps isn't uncommon sleepwear, either. Same with pants, or lack thereof. Sometimes women even, gasp, sleep without bras! It's not scandalous - it's realistic.
thy_butcher
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by thy_butcher »

I completely understand that it's realistic.
I'm just saying that it's an artists rendering... it didn't have to be that way.
It's a very apparent detail for me.
Portraying her awaking in bed can be realistic without the cleavage and without the downed strap.

To be honest, as a straight male, I find the panel to be baseline arousing; and that's due to the details I brought up; they invoke a primitive arousal.
That is where I'm pulling my criticism from in the first place...
... it feels too deliberate.
Rev
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Rev »

Speaking as a not-straight woman who is sick of female characters being sexualized in fiction -- and I do find Anne to be an attractive lady character -- I neither minded nor noticed until you mentioned it, and still don't mind because I don't see it as sexualization. I mean, if you found a little cleavage to be arousing, that's probably a personal problem and not a fault of the artist.

I'm actually more goaded by the implication that the mere sight of cleavage is considered "sexual" at all rather than being, you know, a part of the human anatomy that men can show off but for women it's totally scandalous, but that's a whole other rant altogether.
Seal of Megatron
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Seal of Megatron »

There's quite a bit of cleavage going on in your avatar there fella. And how do you manage to walk down the street without a big stiffy?. I wish I got so aroused by the mere sight of cleavage, it would certainly add more funds to the old monkey spank bank.
Who's the man? Me!!
Rev
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Rev »

Oh man I was going to wear a tanktop today until I realized that it's too low cut and that's just sexualizing myself. I mean, what if men who can't control their primitive natures get aroused? Time to break out my puritan dress and bonnet!
Seal of Megatron
My Bestsellers Clerk

And so you should. And I don't want to be seeing no ankles neither. Damn wimmen, what's next, going topless on the feckin beach.
Who's the man? Me!!
Rev
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Rev »

Seal of Megatron wrote:Damn wimmen, what's next, going topless on the feckin beach.
There's another problem - women on the beach. We should just stay in the kitchen where we belong. Otherwise we might be accosted by the primal men who desire us!
thy_butcher
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by thy_butcher »

I just didn't like the way she was portrayed.
I didn't mean to cause a fuss.
I feel like your attacking me, peeps.

I'm not some lonely dude who ejaculates at the thought of a female; I have more depth than that (https://www.facebook.com/jake.pick.16 - as proof that I'm not some weirdo loser)... I was just trying to be as honest as possible.
So yes, I do find cleavage attractive. I'm a freak, I guess.

P.S. @ Seal of Megatron - I agree that Elizabeth is portrayed poorly in my avatar. I was thrilled to have her scaled towards realism in Infinite's final version.
My focus with the avatar is the looming Songbird and Elizabeth interacting with it...without fear... and it's all against that stark background. I think it's really striking.
Seal of Megatron
My Bestsellers Clerk

Sorry fella, didn't mean it to come across as attacking, just having a bit of fun. I doubt that anyone thinks your a freak, we all have our own thing. I used to fancy the cadbury's caramel bunny, still do. Not that I get to see her any more, scumbags took her off the air over here.
Who's the man? Me!!
Rev
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Rev »

Well, to be fair, I've gone back and checked the panel in question and still find it harmless, considering that the most "cleavage" we see is a line drawn. Have you seen women's sleepwear? A lot of them are low cut like that because it's a lot more comfortable. I don't like wearing shirts that come up to my neck because it's just not comfortable to sleep in. If the artist drew said cleavage with more detail and portrayed Anne as more endowed than she is in the game, I'd see where you're coming from. As it is I think you're just making something out of nothing.

And again, I say this as a woman who isn't straight. I find cleavage to be attractive. Hell, I love cleavage. I love it when my girlfriend wears low cut shirts. You're not a freak for liking breasts, but I do firmly believe that women are allowed to show some skin and shoulder without being reduced to sex objects. It's just an insult to my gender to insinuate that we must cover up - be it with clothing or a carefully drawn angle on one freaking comic panel - to keep dudes' urges in check.

It's just one line on one panel. Call it whatever you want, but it's not sexualization. And I'm going to leave it at that because literally nothing you say will convince me otherwise.