Search FAQ

Login | Register

All times are UTC [ DST ]

It is currently 21 Nov 2018

Woodside Apartments Janitor
 Post subject: Re: Smiling Picture Person

Missing since: 21 May 2010
Notes left: 1241
I never noticed the ear...where in the game is it?...i've played SH3 a gazillion times and i'm shocked that i have never seen that...

Brookhaven Receptionist

Missing since: 08 Aug 2011
Notes left: 922
Last seen at: Ohio
clips wrote:
I never noticed the ear...where in the game is it?...i've played SH3 a gazillion times and i'm shocked that i have never seen that...

First room where you wake up beside the bath tub in the alternate office building. Right before you leave the room.

Woodside Apartments Janitor

Missing since: 21 May 2010
Notes left: 1241
peronmls wrote:
clips wrote:

First room where you wake up beside the bath tub in the alternate office building. Right before you leave the room.

Thanks...next time i fire this up, i'll be looking for this.... 8)

Rosewater Park Attendant

Missing since: 22 Jul 2005
Notes left: 1421
Last seen at: room 302
Yeah, as Aerith said:
Quote:
For example, in Silent Hill 3 there are pictures of ears and mouths on the walls of the hospital and Hilltop Center. Ito explained on his messageboard that he wanted to use these to express the Otherworld and its personality, but didn’t want to use eyes, because he didn’t use them in the Silent Hill series creature design. The ear is bloody because Alessa is angry; likewise, the red around the nurses’ mouths are to express a feeling of anger. The mouths appear to be smiling, but Ito says they really represent Alessa’s “shrieking insanity.”

Too lazy to find exact Ito quotes,but they are cited at the end of this article.

While it does look like Marilyn, it's also true that any woman with a similar mouth wearing red lipstick could replicate it.

Missing since: 15 Apr 2004
Notes left: 11052
Last seen at: In the anals of forum history
nur_ein_tier wrote:
While it does look like Marilyn, it's also true that any woman with a similar mouth wearing red lipstick could replicate it.

The look could be replicated, but this isn't replication. I can visually confirm it is the exact same photo, though of course touched-up, from the shape of the mouth and the angle of the shot. The angles and dimensions aren't just similar, they are identical. It would not happen by accident.

Now, such a thing could be duplicated, but getting it exactly right would take about a million times as much effort as is necessary to create a visual artifact which is little more than a footnote. And, why bother duplicating it anyway? Why not just use a bit of Lisa's mouth?

Just Passing Through

Missing since: 14 Nov 2011
Notes left: 65
Last seen at: Kijuju Autonomous Zone, West Africa
Holy Fucking Shitboluders, Batman... Props to the OP and Aerith Gainsborough. I always wondered what that damn mouth meant! Now I know. Can't believe I never noticed the "Bleeding Ear" though. Now I have the sudden urge to play SH3 again...

Yep. Just another day in Silent Hill...

Cafe5to2 Waitress

Missing since: 30 Aug 2010
Notes left: 197
I feel like I knew what it meant without knowing what the artist intended it to mean. It's just such a simple, primal image, and like most of the monster designs the eyes are hidden which creates a strange, inhuman disconnect from what appears to be an expression of joy. Pure genius.

My Bestsellers Clerk
 Post subject: Re: Smile Picture Person

Missing since: 08 Aug 2010
Notes left: 362
VenusDoom wrote:
Actually it's this one from the SH1 soundtrack Image ^-^ But nice observation anyway!

No, it's not Lisa. It doesn't even look like her smile.

Just Passing Through

Missing since: 19 Nov 2008
Notes left: 70
Last seen at: Silent Hill
Wow, this just made my day. Good one!

I love that part in the game. I find it beautifully disturbing. Even did a project based on it for my art class.

Brookhaven Receptionist

Missing since: 08 Aug 2011
Notes left: 922
Last seen at: Ohio
Sorry for the bump. OP here. I was wanting confirmation on my finding so I went ahead and tweeted to Masahiro Ito as he is very communicative to the SH community. Upon asking him within the hour my account was blocked by him from everything. I am not quite sure what happened. As a big fan of his art in general this shot me down pretty hard. I guess we can assume it is. =/ Here was my tweet.

https://imgur.com/a/jSexxl1