Is silent hill 3 the worst game in the series?

Heather finds out why it's true that you shouldn't talk to strangers. Or look in mirrors, quite honestly.

Moderator: Moderators

Imnotazombie
Just Passing Through

Re: Is silent hill 3 the worst game in the series?

Post by Imnotazombie »

Shattered Memories is a bad example. Homecoming, and Origins are much better "worst" of the series choices I think. I've heard pretty great things about Shattered Memories, and 3 is great, Team Silent man.
http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m96mafdh081r4v6xxo1_500.gif
Seal of Megatron
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Seal of Megatron »

Team silent man? How dare you mock my love of the original 4 games, a pox on thee.
Who's the man? Me!!
Imnotazombie
Just Passing Through

Post by Imnotazombie »

I said "Team Silent, man" as a compliment. They're fantastic, and to say one of their games is the worst of the series seems a bit out there to me. I don't even know how that could be in debate. Especially three, which most agree is better than four.
Mephisto
Historical Society Historian

Post by Mephisto »

The story of number 3 is crap. The game only shines in gameplay and atmosphere.

The Room is the opposite. Story is awesome but gameplay and atmosphere are crap.
Imnotazombie
Just Passing Through

Post by Imnotazombie »

How is the story in three crap though? Heather's story is quite fascinating, or maybe it's more her arch I love. I do think her whole back story with Harry is really interesting, but that scene
PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER_SHOW PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER:
after she discover's Harry's dead body
is gold. To see a character in a videogame go through that, and then continue you on their mission is something we rarely see in games, it was especially rare back then when storytelling was always such an afterthought in gaming.

So I think again that it's a stretch to call the story in three shit. It may not be the strongest in the series, but that certainly doesn't mean it's bad or shit as you say.

Not to mention Heather as a female character in videogames was unprecedented. Strong female characters in videogames are always made to be sexy or scantily clad with HUGE boobs. Heather is just a normal girl, or at least physically she is as her past is quite abnormal and effed up.
Seal of Megatron
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Seal of Megatron »

"I said "Team Silent, man" as a compliment". Many apologies.
That car ride to Silent Hill after that scene is one of my favourite scenes in any game.
Who's the man? Me!!
Imnotazombie
Just Passing Through

Post by Imnotazombie »

Agreed. And I think all the Silent Hill games have some topsy turvy voice acting, but that scene is some of the best in a Silent Hill game. Plus that song in the background by Akira Yamaoka, and Melissa Williamson gives me goosebumps. It's a shame they wasted it in the first movie when with the next SH movie it'll be perfect. Though they still might use it.
Mephisto

Post by Mephisto »

Crap, it was a figure of speech that I found at the time. The story... It's not original in any way apart from her relationship with Harry.

3's story is sort of a copy of the one that happen in number one. The characters roles are the same damn thing.
alone in the town

Post by alone in the town »

How is the story in three crap though?
It doesn't even begin until the game is half over, and most of the game has nothing to do with it. Honestly, the only truly story-relevant location in the whole game is the final one, and if you're feeling charitable, the amusement park. The mall, subway, sewer, office building and hospital are nothing but filler. Practically everything important in the game happens at the end, and most of what actually does happen is the first game, rehashed. Heather's a great lead character, but Claudia is a relentlessly-cliche religious fanatic. Doug's a decent but not terribly compelling character. Vincent is interesting because of the insights he offers.

Silent Hill 3's strength is in gameplay and aesthetics. In terms of story, it's probably the worst game in the series.
Imnotazombie
Just Passing Through

Post by Imnotazombie »

Ryantology wrote:
How is the story in three crap though?
Silent Hill 3's strength is in gameplay and aesthetics. In terms of story, it's probably the worst game in the series.
Heather's fantastic storyline alone elevates it to good, if not great in my opinion. Yes it's an atmospheric videogame first and foremost, but I think the storyline is it's strength (that applies to all silent hill games), with that game I always get excited when we see cut scenes. And talking about the "filler" areas, I don't see how that's a problem considering it is ALSO a game it has more than one use.

I don't know, I guess we just disagree. But I think it's stronger than the first game storyline wise. That scene I talked about above with Heather is just so good.

Say it's not as good as the rest, but bad? It's not bad. I'd also like to point out that in four the side characters are all one dimensional as they drop off like flies before we get to know them.
clips
Woodside Apartments Janitor

Post by clips »

I wouldn't call 3's story bad either, but it is the weakest out of the bunch...compared to 4 which is just so bizarre and disturbing? I think 4's story caught alot of folks off guard because it wasn't your traditional cliche` storyline.....some wierd guy thinking the room is his mother?....the dynamic between Walter and toddler Walter?...the terrifing hauntings in your apt?

Henry's situation was alot more desperate than Heather's because his situation just seemed so dreadful...each time Henry stepped into that hole, you knew his situation was about to become worse, yet that was the only way he had to find a possible solution to his situation.

Heather's game had some nice set-pieces in the famous mirror room and that little segment right before she went up into the bloody walled hospital?..with all of that disturbing imagery in the background?...absoultely amazing.
Mephisto

Post by Mephisto »

Ain't no point in speaking with someone that is so blind that end up refusing to acknowledge a fact. What was wrote in here wasn't really an opinion, you know. SH3 doesn't offer anything new regarding the mythos/lore apart from the whole Valtiel thing.

And The Room shines not with the things that you see in the damn cut-scenes. The story about little Walter and Walter himself about the "Room 302 is my mom" is quite dull. It's the things behind the presentation that are interesting. If you connect piece by piece, from the random neighbors in SAH, to the true meanings of each murder and what they represent in Walter's Otherworld... You get the point.

And Clips, what you just wrote... In the final line, this is gameplay and/or atmosphere. It doesn't have anything to do with the story.
Imnotazombie
Just Passing Through

Post by Imnotazombie »

Ain't no point in speaking with someone that is so blind that end up refusing to acknowledge a fact. What was wrote in here wasn't really an opinion, you know.
What exactly are you talking about? Are you saying I'm factually wrong for not thinking Silent Hill 3 is the worst game in the series?
clips
Woodside Apartments Janitor

Post by clips »

And The Room shines not with the things that you see in the damn cut-scenes. The story about little Walter and Walter himself about the "Room 302 is my mom" is quite dull. It's the things behind the presentation that are interesting. If you connect piece by piece, from the random neighbors in SAH, to the true meanings of each murder and what they represent in Walter's Otherworld... You get the point.

And Clips, what you just wrote... In the final line, this is gameplay and/or atmosphere. It doesn't have anything to do with the story.
Well, i actually liked the dynamic between Adult and toddler Walter...and the wierd and corrupt fascination with the apt, but i also understood the story behind the numbers in regard to Walter as well...the overall package and storyline in 4 was quite impressive and truly unique.

As far as the gameplay aspects concerning SH3?...yeah it had nothing to do with the storyline, i just stated that while it's story was on the weak side of things, it still had some fantastic imagery and set-pieces.
Mephisto

Post by Mephisto »

What exactly are you talking about? Are you saying I'm factually wrong for not thinking Silent Hill 3 is the worst game in the series?
No. When you say "The story isn't pure garbage. It's awesome." or "The story sucks." that's an opinion. But when you say that it "Don't offer anything new and don't add anything else to the SH lore." then that's a fact.

0rigins does the same thing. It doesn't add anything to the SH mythos and lore. See Travis story, for example. It was really nice. But the devs played safe with the whole Alessa thing. It's their fault because they thought that by playing safe they would achieve something but they ended up without anything new or interesting.

Downpour and Homecoming on the other hand had things in their own way but Homecoming failed in many attempts. This is a fact. Only because I like Homecoming does not mean that I can ignore what is shown. You're doing it with SH3.
Imnotazombie
Just Passing Through

Post by Imnotazombie »

No you're right in that it doesn't add anything new in terms of the SH lore. I never said that it did. I just said I really enjoyed the story, and the character of Heather. So I'm not doing anything with SH3 other than stating my opinion. It does add new things to the series such as a few enemies, and music, and what not, but you're right that it doesn't really add much new as far as "lore" goes, it's just a continuation of the first game, but I don't in any way see how that's a bad thing.
KiramidHead

Post by KiramidHead »

I don't see why it absolutely must add new stuff to the lore to be good. Also, having similar character roles to the original game doesn't make it the exact same thing. Nor does that make it bad.
Imnotazombie
Just Passing Through

Post by Imnotazombie »

THANK YOU. And it's not a complete retread of the first game, it's a continuation, an expanding, and it's masterfully made by team silent.
KiramidHead

Post by KiramidHead »

Imnotazombie wrote:THANK YOU. And it's not a complete retread of the first game, it's a continuation, an expanding, and it's masterfully made by team silent.
The similar character roles are somewhat necessary as well. Character's who are only around to aid the protagonist are a common device in fiction. Also, it's only natural for the antagonist to be a cultist, since it's a direct sequel to the game that introduced the evil cultist aspect in the first place.
alone in the town

Post by alone in the town »

Imnotazombie wrote:THANK YOU. And it's not a complete retread of the first game, it's a continuation, an expanding, and it's masterfully made by team silent.
What is masterful about this story? It's not a complete retread of the first, but it doesn't fall a great deal short of that. And, it continues a story which, itself, isn't of a depth anywhere close to titles like 2, 4, or Shattered Memories.

It is what it is, and it has some strengths. It's not even a bad thing that the story in this game is thin, but it undoubtedly is.