Is silent hill 3 the worst game in the series?

Heather finds out why it's true that you shouldn't talk to strangers. Or look in mirrors, quite honestly.

Moderator: Moderators

Imnotazombie
Just Passing Through

Re: Is silent hill 3 the worst game in the series?

Post by Imnotazombie »

I said the game was masterfully made by Team Silent, not the story specifically. Though I do think the story is strong, or at least Heather's whole character and arch. Her relationship with Harry is wonderful the way he saved her, and went through what he did to keep her safe. Not to mention how complex it was because we got that note in the game where he said he resented her for not being his own and of the cult but still loving her. It's a super sweet relationship, and it's an earned love they have for each other that has nothing to do with being blood related.

Also how Heather deal with what happens after the mid point of the game is glorious in my opinion. Great storytelling in those couple scenes specifically. But besides the story, there's the music and atmosphere of the game. The subtle symbolism, and the way in which the story is told. It's probably the most polished of the first four games.

I'm not saying it's better than the others I'm just saying it's quite an achievement in it's own right.
http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m96mafdh081r4v6xxo1_500.gif
Dr-G0nz0
Just Passing Through

Post by Dr-G0nz0 »

Imnotazombie wrote:I said the game was masterfully made by Team Silent, not the story specifically. Though I do think the story is strong, or at least Heather's whole character and arch. Her relationship with Harry is wonderful the way he saved her, and went through what he did to keep her safe. Not to mention how complex it was because we got that note in the game where he said he resented her for not being his own and of the cult but still loving her. It's a super sweet relationship, and it's an earned love they have for each other that has nothing to do with being blood related.

Also how Heather deal with what happens after the mid point of the game is glorious in my opinion. Great storytelling in those couple scenes specifically. But besides the story, there's the music and atmosphere of the game. The subtle symbolism, and the way in which the story is told. It's probably the most polished of the first four games.

I'm not saying it's better than the others I'm just saying it's quite an achievement in it's own right.
Completely agree. It stands on its own right as a great game. Really nice how it's a continuation of the first. IMO definitely the weakest out of the Team Silent games, but I've begun to appreciate this game the more I play it. Plus the Haunted House section was one of the most terrifying experiences I've ever played -- Silent Hill games or any other. lol
"Oh, you think darkness is your ally. You merely adopted the dark; I was born in it, moulded by it. I didn't see the light until I was already a man, by then it was nothing to me but BLINDING! " -Bane
Tillerman
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by Tillerman »

I wouldn't say the story is "masterful," but I would say it's underrated. I think that Claudia is a pretty well written character, many antagonists claim to be doing things for the greater good but I think that she really sells that she believes it. Also, a story is only as good as it's main character, and I think Heather is a great main character, easily the most sympathetic and relatable in the series. And I really like how it uses the themes of body horror / pregnancy.

Sure, the game probably has the weakest story of the first 4 games, but more because the other 3 were just so damn good. Silent Hill 3 is still an excellent horror game though, in certain ways I find it to be the best in the series. It's certainly not a worse game than SH4, which I don't see how anyone could argue. And if we're counting Silent Hills after 4, then SH3 is one of the better games in the series.
Leo Ho Tep
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Leo Ho Tep »

I do love SH3 for its atmosphere and settings. I really like Heather, and her relationship with Harry was great. That said, the story is not only quite generic, but it's totally a rehash of SH1 story. I couldn't help but think it was the same the first time I played it. In that regard, it's not as good, IMO, as SH 2 or the room for instance.
warfare315
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by warfare315 »

Leo Ho Tep wrote:I do love SH3 for its atmosphere and settings. I really like Heather, and her relationship with Harry was great. That said, the story is not only quite generic, but it's totally a rehash of SH1 story. I couldn't help but think it was the same the first time I played it. In that regard, it's not as good, IMO, as SH 2 or the room for instance.
I kind of agree... for being a rehashed story, it's good, but that's pretty much the only reason SH2 is my favorite over 3. I love the story. Everything else about SH3 I like better... but in a series that's supposed to be so story centric, SH3's didn't really grip me like SH, SH2, SH4..

EDIT: I don't really know if 2 is my favorite.... favorite story, at least.
Last edited by warfare315 on 10 Oct 2012, edited 1 time in total.
Another frequency perpetuated into context, trapped in the eternal paradox.
vaporeyesofficial.bandcamp.com
Facebook.com/vaporeyesofficial
I, Rabbit
Just Passing Through

Post by I, Rabbit »

i love sh3 the most and always will. Admittedly the subway level makes me grit my teeth and sometimes even throw the controller at heather's face, (i hate looking for the right subway and all that bull), but it's such a good game. Heather looks really good when she is up close to the camera, i love the monsters, i love the story line, i love the graphics, i love the little sh2 easter eggs, i love it all.
I want to see how far I can go before I'm forced to stop.
Aphel Aura
Historical Society Historian

Post by Aphel Aura »

I enjoyed Silent Hill 3 when I first received it. Nowadays, I don't think I'd go through it. It's difficult to look at the game with an objective eye anymore since I've played the damn thing so many times (I think the most out of the series, actually). I've exhausted it completely for myself and can't even watch the opening titles any more.

That being said, I had a blast with it the first couple of years I owned it. Not my favorite, not by a long shot, but between it, The Room, and Origins, I say it's a clear winner (for me). So not the worst. Sometimes I DO have a love/hate relationship with it when I try it. Some stuff I enjoy, some stuff I loathe.

It's a solid horror game with a realistic (imo) heroine, though I do think Heather is the only interesting character in it save for Douglas.

Pros:
Great graphics
Great areas
One of the most gut-wrenching atmospheres in the series
Gameplay isn't too hard
Voice acting is well done

Cons:
Storyline wasn't the most compelling
Claudia and Vincent weren't interesting (imo)
Game was too short
Didn't have enough endings
Recycled elements (like Brookhaven Hospital) in general
Some effects were too fucking much (Brookhaven otherworld is a good example)

Just my opinion.
Live fast, die young
Bad girls do it well
zeo
Just Passing Through

Post by zeo »

SH3? It's not the worst at all. I think out of the first 3 it is a little bit goofy compared to the second and I think people were harsh on it for that. By goofy I mean the things you find and use to progress like a hair dryer, a wire hanger, etc. But I think that was all intentional by Konami developers with the main character being a teenage girl and all. Also I love how quirky and random that was, during your first play through it really made you have to think about how to use what you find. I loveee the third game just as much as the first 2.
PoemOfTheLastMoment
Gravedigger

Post by PoemOfTheLastMoment »

Silent hill 3 is in a way a re-telling of the original as you pretty much visit most of the same locations as the original and use the same plot devices such as the seal of Metatron and the birthing of God.
Now I Know, The Real Reason Why I Came To This Town....I Wonder....What Was I Afraid Of? Without You..I've Got Nothing...Now, We Can Be Together Again.....Mary.....
lovelytourniquet
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by lovelytourniquet »

I started playing this again lately. First time in somewhere around 4 or 5 years. I have been out of the SH loop for a long time since the first film irked me so. I check in from time to time and see what Tomm Hulett is doing to our beloved franchise but that has been about it.

I recently watched that Real Silent Hill Experience and enjoyed it thoroughly. Found it on accident and because of that it rekindled my long lost love to the franchise that I haven't much touched since my divorce years ago. It was sort of "our" franchise. Pfft. Anyway, to make a long story a bit shorter, I have a new found respect for this particular game that was only sort of there before. I suppose it helps that Silent Hill 4 (also revisited lightly) helped that process as well being that it is rife with issues. But you all knew that.
[img]http://img19.imageshack.us/img19/5349/lovelyvines4tj.jpg[/img]
boblecon1096
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by boblecon1096 »

Is silent hill 3 the worst game in the series?
Nah!
CandyLander
Just Passing Through

Post by CandyLander »

PoemOfTheLastMoment wrote:Silent hill 3 is in a way a re-telling of the original as you pretty much visit most of the same locations as the original and use the same plot devices such as the seal of Metatron and the birthing of God.
PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER_SHOW PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER:
Shattered memories and origins "re-tell" the original game. Silent hill 3 is obviously a continuation. just because the plot twist (if we can call it like that, it's more like the big secret to the game) involves the same element (birth of god) it DEFINETLY doesn't mean the game is the same. And the seal of metatron isn't a plot device, it is just there. the character's tried to use it and they failed because it doesn't work, that's not the plot of the game, that's nearly not even important; I'm not sure, but I think that there are 2 or 3 places that are the same in the entire game, and the places are changed.

I loved how the game is complex.. And there are discussions going on and on on what the monsters mean or if Vincent was being sarcastic or not in the library untill today.
Have you seen a little girl? Short, black hair. Seven years old...
calindreams
Just Passing Through

Post by calindreams »

I have played the games since the first and never really had a strong grasp of the mythology that was nearly always in the background, waiting to be discovered rather than the main focus. I regularly confuse my Dahlias with my Claudias.

For me this was still my experience of third game. Yes, I suppose some of that background mythology came more into focus especially with its links to the first game. But it has always been for me a simple story of a young girl who is forced to question who she really is in the midst of some harrowing experiences, both supernatural and realistic.

As good as the first two games, not better.
Silent Fantasy

Post by Silent Fantasy »

But it has always been for me a simple story of a young girl who is forced to question who she really is in the midst of some harrowing experiences, both supernatural and realistic.
In the end, that is the main point of the game. You'll notice in the making of the game and even when Akira talks about the music that it's the focus.
WARNING: Some Parts of Reality May Seem Violent or Cruel.
calindreams
Just Passing Through

Post by calindreams »

I would love to see the 'making of' but I don't its on my copy. I'll check, I've just got out my ps2 just to play the game. The making of Silent Hill 2 really deepened my appreciation of that game.

You know, I'm so bad at following the story I don't think I ever realised who her father reply was, both times I completed game.i was still greatly moved though by that mid scene. Maybe I did realise and I've just forgotten. It's been a while. And I call myself a SH fan! I still couldn't tell you what the Seal of Metatron is.

Not that I want to remain ignorant. These forums are quite enlightening and looking forward to playing the games again.
Silent Fantasy

Post by Silent Fantasy »

I didn't know who he was when I first played either, but I learned quickly after falling in love with the series following my finished of SH3 (Even though my introduction was SH1 a few years before).
You can find the making of SH3 on youtube though. You won't find videos like that in the games.
calindreams
Just Passing Through

Post by calindreams »

Very interesting video. Thanks for the recommendation.

Just finished the game again today and is still love it. And the great thing is, is that I've got such a terrible memory, half of it still came as a surprise. I know what Ryantology means when he says that horror can lose it's ability to shock on repeated viewings but this game still managed to for me. Especially since I had totally forgotten about the church section and what happens there.

I don't think the main storyline is lacking, but I did feel for the first half there were few side stories to be found in notes and diaries, which I do feel add to the atmosphere.

I did say that this game was as good as the first two, but now I've found that you can make Douglas wear boxers, it kind of raises it slightly higher in my estimation.:lol:
Silent Fantasy

Post by Silent Fantasy »

but now I've found that you can make Douglas wear boxers
That makes it the best in the series and any argument against the claim invalid.
up, up , down, down, left, right, left, right, circle, cross = Automatic win.
UncleLyn
Just Passing Through

Post by UncleLyn »

I really enjoyed sh3, my second favourite(after 2).

But the endings bugged me abit. I was expecting more than 3 after sh2 had over 5 endings that were all quaity. The best ending in sh3 is the ufo ending, and after alot of effort trying to get the posessed ending i was dissopointed on how short it was, it felt like it had just been put in for the sake of having a bad ending. Although im not quite sure what other endings they could of added with the storyline.
Project_Night
Just Passing Through

Post by Project_Night »

I don't like the level design and art-style, but i'm still impressed by graphic engine.
For me:

1° - Worst) Silent Hill Shattered Memories
2° - Worst) Silent Hill 4
3° - Worst) Silent Hill Origins
If you want, please support my horror game "Project Night": http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/proje ... /x/2716968
Thank you!