Is silent hill 3 the worst game in the series?

Heather finds out why it's true that you shouldn't talk to strangers. Or look in mirrors, quite honestly.

Moderator: Moderators

alone in the town
Historical Society Historian

Post by alone in the town »

The odd thing is, I used to make that kind of noise myself, but Shattered Memories appears to have satisfied such desires in me.
Shadow
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by Shadow »

But surely a straight remake would be a waste of time (I'm imagining it being like The Twin Snakes on Gamecube - the same layout as the original, just using a different graphics engine.) Whereas Shattered Memories works (I haven't played it myself yet, just watched YouTube a lot) because it takes such expectations and drop kicks them out the proverbial window.
VIVIsect

Post by VIVIsect »

helldescent wrote:so, is it fair to say anyone trapped in the otherworld is able to reach others thru phone?
THEN WHO WAS PHONE?

PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER_SHOW PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER:
Sorry, but someone had to say it.
nobody is anybody
Brodie
Just Passing Through

Post by Brodie »

I strongly Disagree I think its the best It Still scares the shit out of me :twisted:
christoiwas
Just Passing Through

Post by christoiwas »

No way!
1: SH2 (Best by far)
2: SH3
4: SH1
5: SHH
6: SH0
7: SHZero (Arcade)
8: SH4

--I haven't played shattered memories yet--
--> "... It’s just... I guess I really don’t care if it’s dangerous or not. I’m going to town either way."
LuciaInFurs
Just Passing Through

Post by LuciaInFurs »

^ You know, I think my order would be exactly the same as yours.
[color=yellow]The Electric Angels [/color](here be tales)
[url]http://luciainfurs.wordpress.com/[/url]
~*~*~*~*~*~
[color=red]"Don't you know there ain't no devil,
it's just god when he's drunk"[/color]
mimee
Just Passing Through

Post by mimee »

Yea, I strongly disagree - SH3 was awesome..
SPRINGS02
Location: i'm sick of these monkey fighting snakes on this monday to friday plane.

Post by SPRINGS02 »

christoiwas wrote:No way!
1: SH2 (Best by far)
2: SH3
4: SH1
5: SHH
6: SH0
7: SHZero (Arcade)
8: SH4

--I haven't played shattered memories yet--
Hmm the correct order for me would be

1 SH3
2 SH2
3 SH4
4 SHSM
5 SH0
6 SHH

Left out SH1 because i haven't played it.
GothGal
Just Passing Through

Post by GothGal »

Homecoming was the worst, in my opinion. the first SH game i didn't bother finishing and could see the "twist" ending a mile off :roll:
Alone. Yes, that's the key word, the most awful word in the English tongue. Murder doesn't hold a candle to it and hell is only a poor synonym.

~ Stephen King
SPRINGS02
Location: i'm sick of these monkey fighting snakes on this monday to friday plane.

Post by SPRINGS02 »

^Yep i feel the same way and i've heard a decent amount of people say they saw the twist coming. I have a feeling that even the people who don't consider sh3 the best silent hill game would still probably say it's the scariest.
KiramidHead

Post by KiramidHead »

SH3 definitely had the best atmosphere of the series, imo. It also just threw you straight into the action, which was very disconcerting and added to the game's feel.
simeonalo

Post by simeonalo »

VIVIsect wrote:
helldescent wrote:so, is it fair to say anyone trapped in the otherworld is able to reach others thru phone?
THEN WHO WAS PHONE?

PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER_SHOW PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER:
Sorry, but someone had to say it.
Ack, don't bring in CreepyPasta.com "THEN WHO WAS..." jokes in here!!! haha ;)

THEN WHO WAZ PYRAMIDZ HEADS?
supperhater
Just Passing Through

Post by supperhater »

The first two are tied for me, they're both just so amazing i can't choose as they both have different things going for them.

After 1+2, i'd say 3, it was insane but i think because i had a huge amount of anticipation before finally playing part 3 it was disappointing when i played it because it wasn't like i imagined it (after reading so many claims that it was the scariest and best SH game, i found it far less scary than the original). I felt that the atmosphere was almost overkill, like it was SOO intense that after a few minutes you just adapted to it and it stopped being truly scary, whereas with Silent Hill 1 and 2 it was more subtle and got to me on a much deeper level. I think if more of SH3 had been like the church otherworld/nowhere, i would have liked it alot more. And the dramatic music in cut scenes etc. didn't feel very "silent hill" to me, it seemed like it was trying too hard or something (I still really like it for other reasons though)

Then another tie between SH4 and Homecoming for my least favourite SH game (haven't yet played Shattered Memories/Origins), even though i actually like SH4 and Homecoming a fair bit, i just prefer the others by far.
Dutchman
Gravedigger

Post by Dutchman »

Silent Hill 3 is so different in comparison with SH1 and 2, that it was difficult for me to enjoy it fully when I first played it. But later on, when I started to pay more attention to the story and how everything worked in the game, it started to grow on me.

The enviroments, atmosphere and the eery soundtrack is the thing that I like the most. Although the story is somewhat liniair and thin in some places, I don't think it's the worst installment.
[img]http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn230/Ghoul68/banner_shh_4.png[/img]
asphyxia_82
Just Passing Through

Post by asphyxia_82 »

disagree... sh4 was pretty bad...
[img]http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k227/oi_nat/nick/footerdone.jpg[/img]
Joseph
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Joseph »

SH3 was boring and really...err.... sprakly.
They didn't even bother to come up with a new story, they continued with what was left from the first one -.-
It was the worst out of Team Silent's trilogy! (and to me SH1 was far scarier and more epic - I can't compare it with Restless Dreams, since I see these two as two different things).
http://twitter.com/quieterworlds
Forget it, Jake. This is Chinatown.
Br00khaven
Just Passing Through

Post by Br00khaven »

I personally think SH3 was amazing. I'm not saying it's the best out of all of them, but it's actually my favorite. So much creepy in it.
mimee
Just Passing Through

Post by mimee »

Joseph wrote:SH3 was boring and really...err.... sprakly.
They didn't even bother to come up with a new story, they continued with what was left from the first one -.-
It was the worst out of Team Silent's trilogy! (and to me SH1 was far scarier and more epic - I can't compare it with Restless Dreams, since I see these two as two different things).

dude you kidding right? Lol SH 3 is NOT bad at all.. And whats wrong with continuing SH1 story? movie 2 normally is movie 1 continuation so on and so on.. at least they didnt make a NEW completely story of SH 3 making "flying ghosts" you cant kill and dogs that are like 10000X faster than you are like SH4..
KiramidHead

Re: is silent hill 3 the worst game in the seris

Post by KiramidHead »

I think of 1, 2, and 3 as being a sort of trilogy. You have SH1, which sets the scene and ends on a cliffhanger, SH2 which acts as glimpse of the period between 1 & 3 and fills in the town's history, and SH3, which continues the story of SH1 and brings it to what I feel is a satisfying conclusion. 4 was a bold but flawed experiment, Origins was largely unnecessary, and Homecoming attempted to show the relationship SH has with the surrounding area. I think another trifecta like 1-3 would be interesting to see.
LuciaInFurs
Just Passing Through

Re: is silent hill 3 the worst game in the seris

Post by LuciaInFurs »

KiramidHead wrote:I think of 1, 2, and 3 as being a sort of trilogy.
This is exactly why us SH fans are nigh impossible to please.
[color=yellow]The Electric Angels [/color](here be tales)
[url]http://luciainfurs.wordpress.com/[/url]
~*~*~*~*~*~
[color=red]"Don't you know there ain't no devil,
it's just god when he's drunk"[/color]