No Running-challenge.

Heather finds out why it's true that you shouldn't talk to strangers. Or look in mirrors, quite honestly.

Moderator: Moderators

Akheon
Just Passing Through

No Running-challenge.

Post by Akheon »

For additional challenge and suspense, my recent Hard-mode playthrough has been constrained with the rule of "no running"... though for the sake of avoiding redundancy, the player is allowed to run in any room where there are no monsters.

I've had lots of fun, and it's been easier than what I would've expected: most enemies can't catch you even if you just walk. Most dangerous spots are cramped spaces and where there are many enemies at once, as usual. I'm currently at nightmare hospital, slowly but surely progressing forward.

I have never tried to play on extreme mode yet, so I don't know how drastically different it's from hard. But I'm interested in eventually trying a no-running game in that mode too. Anyone ever tried this type of game before? Have any hints or suggestions?
LanceS133
Historical Society Historian

Post by LanceS133 »

That sounds pretty damn nerve racking, I run as much as I can :lol: Especially to save ammo and health.
"That town. That God forsaken town. It just, keeps, calling me back..."
crucifix

Re: No Running-challenge.

Post by crucifix »

Akheon wrote:most enemies can't catch you even if you just walk.
haha!

extreme is pretty different from hard, actually (i'm currently on level 3). the monsters are quicker, there's more of them, and they do much more damage. you also get less health items.
no longer active. thanks for the memories.
alone in the town

Post by alone in the town »

Sounds like an exercise in tediousness to me.
alessas angel
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by alessas angel »

That sounds redundant. It does sound like fun though.
Life changes daily so go with it!
Baal
Just Passing Through

Post by Baal »

Hopefully you won't try to walk away from the red light of doom.
Give me peace and chemicals. I wanna run into. . .
LanceS133

Post by LanceS133 »

lol good point, who knew SH2 would be predicting the fate of so many XBOX 360's :lol:

PS3 FTW!
"That town. That God forsaken town. It just, keeps, calling me back..."
Akheon
Just Passing Through

Post by Akheon »

>>Hopefully you won't try to walk away from the red light of doom.

Of course not! It would be impossible... but then again, could it even be considered an enemy?

>>Sounds like an exercise in tediousness to me.

It's sometimes annoying, but the good parts outweigh the bad.
Baal
Just Passing Through

Post by Baal »

Of course not! It would be impossible... but then again, could it even be considered an enemy?
Well it does try to kill you. :lol:
Give me peace and chemicals. I wanna run into. . .
Akheon
Just Passing Through

Post by Akheon »

Completed nightmare hospital. It's very hard to clear some hallways without getting hit at least once... of course beef jerkys make your life a lot easier. Caution stance + flashlight off is the way to go, which means that you'll have difficulties navigating, but that's better than getting beaten yourself silly whenever an enemy is near you.

Also noticed that getting hit by a nurse pistol shot hurts a lot. It's the single most dangerous thing in the hospital area.

"Hospital basement boss" is next to impossible impossible to take on w/ melee while walking because he moves fast and his attacks reach far. Fortunately I had enough bullets to make it through. Next it's the time to walk back to the motel - not very fun because of at least 4 dogs who loom near the motel's street corner...
lain of the wired
Location: Is this not Eorzea? Where the hell was that exit...?

Post by lain of the wired »

Sounds a bit like that part in RE... what was it, one? two? The one with Barry, the Tyrant and the mansion. That awful part where you're carrying some highly volatile substance and you can't run or you'll blow up. With all those crimsonheads crawling outta the vents, and you can hear them, and you could get away if you could just run. *shudder*

Great tension. I hope you're using the extra time to thoroughly examine your environment. :wink:
You'll be missed. You were missed. I am missing you.
Mis Krist.

Post by Mis Krist. »

alessas angel wrote:That sounds redundant. It does sound like fun though.
I don't think that word means what you think it means...

I wouldn't want to walk because of how freakin' long it takes Heather to get ANYWHERE. You aren't out for a stroll at the mall, you're supposed to flee from crazy things.
I'm not dead yet, dammit.
lbsword
Just Passing Through

Post by lbsword »

Hahaha, like the Resident Evil 1 Remake.

Gotta handle the nitro gylcerin by walking, while monsters crawl out of vents and try to nab ya =PPP

Silent Hill with just walking would annoy the hell out of me, especially on f'ing hard mode
serek
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by serek »

I've found myself killing more monsters when I walk...it beats trying to walk away and listening to the bloody split-heads barking and whining.
Why do you complain of your fate when you could so easily change it?
-Marquis de Sade
SilentMadness
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by SilentMadness »

bloody split-heads barking and whining
it always send a shiver down my spine everytime I hear that. I've done a full "walk-thru" on normal and it wasn't so bad, just shoot the monsters that are obstructing your path. The insane cancers are hard to take down because they keep getting back up
"It doesn't matter if you're smart, dumb, ugly, pretty...IT'S ALL THE SAME ONCE YOU'RE DEAD!"--Eddie Dombrowski
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
words to live by
Akheon
Just Passing Through

Post by Akheon »

I've started another walk-run of the game on HARD, video capturing it in process. However, this time I'll also be fully pacifist in the process: this means no harming or killing anything not absolutely necessary. Very fun... in a way.

EDIT:
Here's a playlist containing what I've uploaded of the run:
SH3girl32
Gravedigger

Post by SH3girl32 »

OMG that would take a long time to get through the game! I try to run as much as possible, but I walk in areas with no monsters when I get the items of course.
dsagent
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by dsagent »

I always amused myself at how most enemies in survival horror games are dumber than bricks and move like they are turning into stone. In harder difficulties this challenge gets annoying
The meaning of all life, the universe, and the answer to all questions is:
PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER_SHOW PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER:
Like I would tell You! MUHAHAHAhahaha!!!!!
SilentObserver
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by SilentObserver »

What's your time when you're done with these?
I'm doing 10 stars, so I have to run. My best time is 1:44:00

walking would be pretty nerve-wracking on Extreme. I'd have to consider someone who tried that to be rather insane :)

Now I just need to learn to kill more things. I've got the times down pretty well with a bit of leeway but I don't really kill much unless it's in my way. I bet if i walked through i'd be able to practice this.
Kerrigan
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Kerrigan »

I have never tried to play on extreme mode yet, so I don't know how drastically different it's from hard.

The "Extreme" modes are essentially the same as "Hard" mode.
The monsters and bosses still take the same amount of damage, you still encounter them as frequently as you do on "Hard", and most of the supply dealings are the same.

However, Heather's "aiming range" is decreased by a substantial amount. On "Hard" mode, if there's a monster nearby and her flashlight is off, she'll still automatically lock onto it. On "Extreme" mode, Heather won't be able to lock onto it unless she is standing right next to it; but that isn't to say that she can't get lucky and hit a monster in the dark.

Also, when Heather is grappled by a monster, the bar that indicates the "shaking" duration goes all the way across the screen, as opposed to about one third of the screen on "Hard" mode. If Heather gets bitten by a Doublehead, it'll more than likely deplete more than half of her health. If she gets grabbed by a Slurper, and for some reason she escapes, she'll probably only have the tiniest fraction of her health left.

However, if one is to abuse the "Life Bar" glitch, then Extreme X isn't much of a challenge at all.

Anyway, back to the run itself, I've done that before. It's really good practice when it comes to monster strategies; and I find it funny that you also re-enter rooms until the moment is right.