Is the PC version worth getting?

Heather finds out why it's true that you shouldn't talk to strangers. Or look in mirrors, quite honestly.

Moderator: Moderators

Magnus_the_red
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Is the PC version worth getting?

Post by Magnus_the_red »

Is the PC version of SH3 worth getting or not?

I personally like PC games better then Console ones. However I am aware that most Console versions of some games are better then their PC version counterparts.
I already have the PS2 version of SH3 but i'm interested in getting the PC version.

Oh, and are there any mods for the PC version of SH3? If so then I will get it because I LOVE mods!!! :D
Let the galaxy burn.
Ashmodean
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Ashmodean »

I liked it though I had to buy a dual stick controller because the keyboard and mouse didn't work too well with the game.
Xigz
Hope House Careworker

Post by Xigz »

Get it for the mods and hacks available for the PC.
[b]I'm constant now, and useful too.
I know my eyes cannot see through.[/b]
Whoomp
Gravedigger

Post by Whoomp »

As Xigz said get it for the mods and hacks, there seem to be a fair share of those out there.
Mis Krist.
Historical Society Historian

Post by Mis Krist. »

How about we not... talk about things that are illegal when a perfectly legal option (buying the game!) is readily available for people D:

I'm aware that the only specifically stated no-no is providing links to downloads of these things, and copyrighted material, but I do think that common forum etiquette would imply that if you can't *share* links to the material, it might not be the best of ideas to promote going out and getting it, either...

Magnus: I haven't played the PC version so I can't be sure. If you look at Cloud8745's Youtube page, he has done a walk through for SH3 on the PC--I'm somewhat positive that he makes a mention of the controls while playing the game. Unfortunately he plays through the WHOLE game so I have no idea when that takes place or how long it'll take for you to find it if you go looking.
I'm not dead yet, dammit.
Xigz
Hope House Careworker

Post by Xigz »

Krist. wrote:How about we not... talk about things that are illegal when a perfectly legal option (buying the game!) is readily available for people D:

I'm aware that the only specifically stated no-no is providing links to downloads of these things, and copyrighted material, but I do think that common forum etiquette would imply that if you can't *share* links to the material, it might not be the best of ideas to promote going out and getting it, either...

Magnus: I haven't played the PC version so I can't be sure. If you look at Cloud8745's Youtube page, he has done a walk through for SH3 on the PC--I'm somewhat positive that he makes a mention of the controls while playing the game. Unfortunately he plays through the WHOLE game so I have no idea when that takes place or how long it'll take for you to find it if you go looking.
When I say "hacks and mods" I mean ones that are used to view textures easier, change the camera angle, walk through walls, ect. They're talked about all of the time around here.
Baal
Just Passing Through

Post by Baal »

I'm pretty sure he mentions it early on in the walkthrough. I just re-watched it recently and remember him saying that keyboard controls were a bit clunky.
Give me peace and chemicals. I wanna run into. . .
lbsword
Just Passing Through

Post by lbsword »

If you already have the ps2 version, dont bother.

its the same, if not slighly inferior.

I would only suggest SH3 PC to someone who doesnt have a playstation.
Magnus_the_red
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Magnus_the_red »

After some thought I might get the PC version solely for the mods/hacks. I'm not too bothered about controls.

As I said before; I love mods. 8) Sometimes modded versions of the game are better then the original. :wink:

Any body got any links where I can find some?
Let the galaxy burn.
Xigz
Hope House Careworker

Post by Xigz »

Magnus_the_red wrote:After some thought I might get the PC version solely for the mods/hacks. I'm not too bothered about controls.

As I said before; I love mods. 8) Sometimes modded versions of the game are better then the original. :wink:

Any body got any links where I can find some?
I'd give you some, but I can't as I'm unsure of what's legal and what's not, if any.

Also, I'm some what suprised that some of the people on this forum other than me watch Cloud's videos.
Whoomp
Gravedigger

Post by Whoomp »

Krist. wrote:How about we not... talk about things that are illegal when a perfectly legal option (buying the game!) is readily available for people D:
Mods and hacks are not illegal are they? If you buy the game aren't you allowed to do whatever you wish with it?
Nickq2007

Post by Nickq2007 »

Well, it's the only version I've played of 3, and I think it's rather good, I've had less problems with SH3's pc version than I did with 2 or 4's. Haven't had to tweak much to get it running perfectly. Although I do use a gamepad for it, as I didn't like it much with a mouse and keyboard, but the controls are configurable enough so even if you don't have a gamepad for your pc, you should be able to set up a custom configuration that'll be comfortable.
Magnus_the_red
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Magnus_the_red »

Mod and hacks are not illegal. You can do whatever you want to the game as long as you don't make any money from it.

Well, it's the only version I've played of 3, and I think it's rather good, I've had less problems with SH3's pc version than I did with 2 or 4's. Haven't had to tweak much to get it running perfectly. Although I do use a gamepad for it, as I didn't like it much with a mouse and keyboard, but the controls are configurable enough so even if you don't have a gamepad for your pc, you should be able to set up a custom configuration that'll be comfortable.
Great! I can't wait to get my copy. 8)
Let the galaxy burn.
Mis Krist.
Historical Society Historian

Post by Mis Krist. »

Whoomp wrote:
Mods and hacks are not illegal are they? If you buy the game aren't you allowed to do whatever you wish with it?
Well I stand corrected. Nope. Everything's peachy here--I thought you guys were talking about something else.
I'm not dead yet, dammit.
valiturus

Post by valiturus »

It's worth getting for mods, getting screenshots and having a zoom feature on the camera. Other than that, it's pretty much the same game.
Lostkitsune
Woodside Apartments Janitor

Post by Lostkitsune »

I believe the mods, and screenshots are worth getting it,there are some nice mods out there. On a side note does anyone know if it works on Vista?
Nickq2007

Post by Nickq2007 »

Yes, it runs on vista. 2 and 4 do as well.

Though to get the best results I run them in Windows XP sp2 compatibility mode.
Magnus_the_red
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Magnus_the_red »

It's a shame SH doesn't have a larger modding community, I can't can't find any worthwhile mods/hacks.

*sigh* When I do get this game i'm gonna have to make some of my own. Mind you i've only had experience modding Total War games and i'm sure modding SH3 will be harder.
But, oh well, i'll give it a shot! 8)
Let the galaxy burn.
Socalryder7
Just Passing Through

Post by Socalryder7 »

I played the SH games on computer via Game Fly, it isn't that bad nor is it that great either. BTW Mangus, where did you find the PC versions of ANYTHING before SH4? I'd like to pick on up myself as my game fly subscription went out.
Magnus_the_red
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Magnus_the_red »

Well first tell me where you are from. If you are from America, you are out of luck because I don't think there are any American copies left.

But here is a place where you can get the European version of it;

http://www.play.com/Games/PC/4-/136879/ ... oduct.html
Let the galaxy burn.