Attention to detail - your favourites

Heather finds out why it's true that you shouldn't talk to strangers. Or look in mirrors, quite honestly.

Moderator: Moderators

woofy
Woodside Apartments Janitor

Attention to detail - your favourites

Post by woofy »

I love all the 'little' details that they put into this game.
For instance, not just posters etc but things like dead guys in bunny suits etc, those little 'connections' between games (like when you look through the hole in the wall in SH4 and see the robbie stuffed animal on the bed, or referneces to characters in other SH games)
My personal favourite is when the crazy 'Happy Birthday' lady says "I'm not your beloved Stanley either, he's in the basement, he's known as number 3 now...". and when you finally go to the basment and walk past body number three you hear Heather's name whispered.
What's your favourite details?
woofy

Post by woofy »

Also, when you're in the church basement and you see Valtiel scrubbing the walls with a dead body, now that was funny :D
TheRedOne

Post by TheRedOne »

Mine would have to be the cages found in the carnival, with the bodies in them. Creepy. I also found the Insane Cancer's death animation disturbing. I'm pretty sure you know what I'm talking about. 8)
r_rr
Just Passing Through

Post by r_rr »

The image that captured me most was the wheelchair in the "otherworld" Hilltop Center office building. The wheelchair was sitting behind glass in a dark hallway, and an opened door was projecting light onto it. Not sure why, just gives me the shivers.
James Sunderland, the Chuck Norris of Silent Hill =]
Kupomee
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Kupomee »

Small details? I love the small plate on the wall next to the elevator to the darkworld in the Mall in SH3. It points the way to classrooms. In a mall. Nice little connection to Silent Hill 1 and Alessa's influence on Heather.
Also, the way the water looks in all of the games continues to amaze me. They had a reflection for lights in Silent Hill 1 that made the murky water look pretty realistic for that time. Every other Silent Hill game just has lifelike water graphics. What I love most about the water are those small bits of garbage floating on the sewer-water in Silent Hill 3, they react to waves and motions in the water realistically. More specifically they float down those water drains where that tentacle lives in the sewers and it looks awesome.

While I love all the clearly symbolic scenes in the game (phone in locker, wheelchairs, fans etc.), I'm more fascinated by impossibly small details in these games that always seem to mean something even when it feels like your over-analyzing. That's what defines Silent Hill for me, meaning and interpretation in everything.
"We are such stuff as dreams are made of, and our little life is rounded with a sleep."
heavensnightsh
Historical Society Historian

Post by heavensnightsh »

r_rr wrote:The image that captured me most was the wheelchair in the "otherworld" Hilltop Center office building. The wheelchair was sitting behind glass in a dark hallway, and an opened door was projecting light onto it. Not sure why, just gives me the shivers.
You should give Session 9 a watch :wink:
[img]http://i41.tinypic.com/dbmhpc.gif[/img]
(o ) ( 0)[size=75]WOOO!|[url=http://www.silenthillheaven.com/wiki]Silent Hill Wiki[/url]|[img]http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s278/razrguy/tray.gif[/img]"What the hell is it?"[/size]
( ) ­ [size=75]I wanna thank you for this chance to be [color=teal]angels[/color] [/size]
[img]http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s278/razrguy/Pokemon.gif[/img][img]http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s278/razrguy/HarryPotter-2.gif[/img][img]http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s278/razrguy/LGDare.gif[/img] Thank you Harrys_Girl for the Drawing Block!
[size=59][I am currently permitted to display a larger avatar thanks to my status as a supporter of SHHF][/size]
verychillyicemilk
Hope House Careworker

Post by verychillyicemilk »

I loved one room in the hospital, where that caged-thingy resided. On the wall there's a picture of Cheryl.
https://soundcloud.com/conor_hedley
http://conor-hedley.tumblr.com/
SHACKled89451
Gravedigger

Post by SHACKled89451 »

r_rr wrote:The image that captured me most was the wheelchair in the "otherworld" Hilltop Center office building. The wheelchair was sitting behind glass in a dark hallway, and an opened door was projecting light onto it. Not sure why, just gives me the shivers.

I agree totally, I don't think I have an actual favorite detail, I like nearly all the work put into this title. But that wheelchair behind the glass.... It's the closest thing in SH3 to an actual nightmare, there's just something twisted about that scene... I love it :D
revalations 23:16
blank fairy
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by blank fairy »

When you're in the mall there's little posters that say 'Silent Hill 2', I thought that was pretty cool. Another is when you can tell Stanley's getting mad and the little doll he always leaves is all torn up. Also all the little random noises you hear and I just think that Heather's shadow looks so cool when you use the lightsaber!
delusion
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by delusion »

There also a magazine with Maria's picture in one of the hospital rooms..
SHACKled89451
Gravedigger

Post by SHACKled89451 »

delusion wrote:There also a magazine with Maria's picture in one of the hospital rooms..
Really? I'm on another playthrough now... any idea which hospital room that would be in ?
delusion
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by delusion »

Maybe it was the one where Leonard calls to you.
Kupomee
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Kupomee »

The one Mary stayed in for a while in Silent Hill 2, don't know the room-number though
"We are such stuff as dreams are made of, and our little life is rounded with a sleep."
Empyrean
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Empyrean »

I thought the Wheelchair behind the glass was awsome and I also loved the haunted mansion but wish it was a little bigger.
TenderMercy
Just Passing Through

Post by TenderMercy »

I love the attention to detail in SH3. There's too many little things to remember now but some that I can think of right now are: The word 'Friend' on the wall when you first met Vincent. The teddy bear/bunny drawing on the door in the hospital (sorry, I forget which room). The drawings in Alessa's room. And Vincent's lazy eye. I love that.
...sounds like kittens...
woofy

Post by woofy »

I particularly like the references to other movies/games. For instance, in silent hill 1 there is a poster also seen in the movie 'Jacob's ladder', and the platform Heather needs to get to in the subway is on Bergen street.
That's also the name of the Platform Jacob needs to get off at in the film.
SHACKled89451
Gravedigger

Post by SHACKled89451 »

woofy1988 wrote:I particularly like the references to other movies/games. For instance, in silent hill 1 there is a poster also seen in the movie 'Jacob's ladder', and the platform Heather needs to get to in the subway is on Bergen street.
That's also the name of the Platform Jacob needs to get off at in the film.
We should all be so lucky, if it wasn't for Jacobs ladder, SH would be missing some of it's most disturbing elements :P
Uyrikeustek
My Bestsellers Clerk

Re: Attention to detail - your favourites

Post by Uyrikeustek »

I always tried to figure out about the wheel chair behind the glass in the large construction building. I was constantly in awe just looking at it. I wanted to break the glass and go there. I found a camera hack on youtube and there is a lot more than just the wheel chair in the hallway.
"What can be asserted without proof can be dismissed without proof." ~ Christopher Hitchens R.I.P.
Skylerness
Just Passing Through

Post by Skylerness »

I loved all the times you can see Valtiel. :D For some reason, I don't remember the wheelchair part. :shock:
What the hell?
Loonwolf
Just Passing Through

Post by Loonwolf »

I love all the little things as well you notice as you look around. This is not so much a "detail", but I also enjoy all of Heather's little comments about things. Like when she is thinking about putting on a hard hat for extra protection which she finds in the underpass, but she decides not to - because it would make her look really "geeky".
"In the end it's only round and round, and round."

LOOnwOlf