Why do the monsters attack Heather? *Big Fat Spoiler*

Heather finds out why it's true that you shouldn't talk to strangers. Or look in mirrors, quite honestly.

Moderator: Moderators

Silver
Just Passing Through

Post by Silver »

Alessa may have created the world, but that doesn't mean she has power to control everything that happens. Especially if it was created out of fear and hatred.
That's a good point. I should also point out that, at the end of the first Silent Hill, both the good endings seem to show Alessa loosing her control of the Otherworld to the God/Baophmet/Final Boss. So it could be that the God is the one in control, and it just wants out.
[i]All these dreams, a crush of stifled memory. Was there something in my mind? There are things they say man was not meant to know. Is this shadow out of time?[/i]
[img]http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh142/NeoSilverThorn/NatH2.gif[/img][img]http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh142/NeoSilverThorn/Heather_Mason_Fan_by_AlchemillaHosp.gif[/img]
Arsonist
Hope House Careworker

Post by Arsonist »

^ The only reason I questioned that was because I read it in the strategy guide for the game. It seemed accurate because the God doesn't have to be born in order to cause Heather problems. As in, when she feels pain. The area she's in changes into the otherworld and she doesn't even have to be in Silent Hill for it to happen.
Her subconscious could still be doing it though, she could be reacting to having been exposed to her previous life; Seeing Claudia, talk about God's birth...

There really are no indication that god would have a power to do that, or anything, with out Claudia jogging Heather's memory... With that in mind, isn't it likely that any power "god" has actually comes from Heather's subconscious belief in that power?
That's a good point. I should also point out that, at the end of the first Silent Hill, both the good endings seem to show Alessa loosing her control of the Otherworld to the God/Baophmet/Final Boss. So it could be that the God is the one in control, and it just wants out.
The otherworld is falling apart in all endings, not just in the good ones. Alternative explanation is that that's because the spell of the Seal of Metatron started up, erasing most of the otherworld, thus creating a cluster of the few locations that are left (Nowhere). And the reason anything is left after the spell is activated could be that the spell wasn't complete?

Alternatively Alessa's otherworld was standing strong, but started falling apart after the Flauros was used, the Flauros cause Alessa to come into a state of deep unconscious, and with all of her fear and worry gone, the otherworld had nothing to survive on.

There are many possibilities that exclude god from the picture too.
Silver
Just Passing Through

Post by Silver »

Touche`.

Actually, that brings up a thought: the whole matter in Silent Hill 3 could simply be an extension of the metaphysical chess match that was going on in Silent Hill, with Claudia and Heather standing in for Dahlia and Alessa respectively.
[i]All these dreams, a crush of stifled memory. Was there something in my mind? There are things they say man was not meant to know. Is this shadow out of time?[/i]
[img]http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh142/NeoSilverThorn/NatH2.gif[/img][img]http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh142/NeoSilverThorn/Heather_Mason_Fan_by_AlchemillaHosp.gif[/img]
Emzo
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Emzo »

^
I only just realised that;;
The way in which Claudia talks to Heather, is in the same manner as Dahlia used to talk to Alessa.

The whole fact Alessa was constantly reminded of her importance of The Order and the birth of God; is IDENTICAL to how Claudia talks to Heather, almost Claudia acts like a re-incarnated Dahlia (Personality wise XD Even though Claudia and Alessa were childhood friends, she perhaps would have seen how Dahlia treated her)

Of course, I'm mainly talking about how Claudia TALKS to Heather compared to how Dahlia used to talk to Alessa ^_^
Woah, I really do ramble;;
~| I've Come to Change the Order |~
Arsonist
Hope House Careworker

Post by Arsonist »

Actually, that brings up a thought: the whole matter in Silent Hill 3 could simply be an extension of the metaphysical chess match that was going on in Silent Hill, with Claudia and Heather standing in for Dahlia and Alessa respectively.
SH3 is full of references that it is. Note the scene in which Dahlia meets Harry in the church and the confrontation between Heather and Claudia in the chapel.

Claudia=Dahlia
Vincent=Michael
Douglas=Cybil/Harry

The car ride scene also parallels the intro of Harry and Cheryl coming to town, the argument between Claudia and Vincent in the chapel parallels the argument between Dahlia and Kauffman, all of the bosses in SH3 parallel those in SH1... I'm sure there's more but I can't think of any right now.

Anyway, Claudia and Dahlia, while similar, are still quite different though. Claudia genuinely only wishes for the salvation of mankind, while Dahlia's main motive is the glory she'll get for being the one responsible for birthing god. Claudia loves Alessa, Dahlia doesn't give a shit. Claudia doesn't go around killing everyone who stands in her way, while Dahlia did, using Alessa as her tool. Claudia feels empathy, Dahlia does not. Claudia is sincere, Dahlia is manipulative. Claudia believes she'll go to hell for the sins she committed, but Dahlia doesn't even give the things she'd done a second thought, she believes she'll get power.

Vincent and Kauffman are also different in their own ways, mainly in mannerism, and in the way they treat the protagonist, Vincent manipulates Heather on account of hating getting his hand dirty, while Kauffman ignores Harry on account of being an anal control freak who can't trust anyone but himself etc.

Same for Douglas and Cybil and for Heather and her previous self, in fact, Heather and Alessa couldn't be more different if they tried.

Parallels are there, but their not copies either.
Returbuliz
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Returbuliz »

^Nice theory, very intriguing actually.
Not dead which eternal lie, stranger eons death may die
Kaiza Killa
Woodside Apartments Janitor

Post by Kaiza Killa »

Son_of_Kauffman wrote:
ecks wrote:They were trying to make her corrupted so God will be stronger.
That is the general idea. Besides Heather can´t really die, since Valtiel will step in and fix her if she gets killed.
I was not aware of that. Are there any particular places that I must die for Valtiel to show up and heal Heather?

H+
"Everything above your neck's going to be a fine red mist" - Sniper (Team Fortress 2).
Kerrigan
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Kerrigan »

It can happen in any area, unless Heather falls off a ledge, inhales too much poison gas, or triggers a death scene.

Basically, there's a random chance that Valtiel will arrive if Heather is killed in battle.
Kaiza Killa
Woodside Apartments Janitor

Post by Kaiza Killa »

Thank you. I will have to die the next time that I play so that I can see this.

H+
"Everything above your neck's going to be a fine red mist" - Sniper (Team Fortress 2).
AngelValtiel
Just Passing Through

Re: Why do the monsters attack Heather? *Big Fat Spoiler*

Post by AngelValtiel »

Correct me if i am wrong but i believe the monsters are Alessa's.
In Alessa's room down @ the church, Heather remembers how her(Alessa) and Claudia used to draw monsters together.
This would make the monsters memories of Alessa.
AuraTwilight
Historical Society Historian

Post by AuraTwilight »

Interesting, I don't remember ever seeing that. There's mention of the two playing cards, but thisis the first I've heard about them drawing monsters.
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
AngelValtiel
Just Passing Through

Post by AngelValtiel »

You'd have to examine the drawings and cards on the floor in Alessa's room.
SHF

Post by SHF »

^ either this , or the creatures attack Heather because they are manifestations of her(Alessas) fear. ( like in the first silent hill)

But, Claudia also makes some attack Heather such as the missionaries/scrapers appear as monsters to Heather, I assume to enrage her ( so that she will birth god faster i guess, correct me if I'm wrong)
[img]http://i1226.photobucket.com/albums/ee419/silentfog/signature.jpg[/img]
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

I know there's drawings on the floor in Alessa's room, but there's nothing about Alessa and Claudia designing monsters. Infact, atleast one of the pictures is of the Incubus Dahlia summoned, and thus it's imagery isn't from Alessa's mind; it would be a better fit that Alessa drew down premonitions she had of the future.
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
Kerrigan
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Kerrigan »

The scribbling on the floor here is
Alessa's.

For some reason, she always drew
monsters like this when she was
alone.

She used to draw with Claudia, too.

A nice daddy and mommy and
a fun school...

A happy world where everyone
smiled and laughed all day long.

In short, everything we never had...
There's more here, though I have a few messes to fix...

EDIT

Appears like the swarming/green variety of Closer found in the church alongside a...standing Slurper, perhaps?
SHF

Post by SHF »

Thanks for the info Kerrigan. So Claudia did draw with Alessa.
[img]http://i1226.photobucket.com/albums/ee419/silentfog/signature.jpg[/img]
AngelValtiel
Just Passing Through

Post by AngelValtiel »

Thx for posting that @Kerrigan.

That would explain why the monsters in SH3 look so... amateurish, they were drawn by a child.
Almost like mash ups of body parts.
KiramidHead

Post by KiramidHead »

^Plus, when you visit Alessa's room in SH1, you can see the pictures on the floor as well. You can't really interact with them, but one definitely looks like a green Air Screamer.
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

Okay, that's neat. But it seems that Claudia had no part in designing the monsters, she could've still seen the images.

You know, with this in mind, it would explain why Claudia doesn't get the hint that the Otherworld isn't so great; THE THINGS FROM ALESSA'S PICTURES ARE TURNING REAL. Of COURSE she's going to think her beloved Alessa is at work here, and since Alessa was such a wonderful, kind, beloved friend, this event can be nothing but good, right?

Claudia seems a lot less crazy now, and....and a lot more heartbreaking, holy shit.
Uyrikeustek
My Bestsellers Clerk

Re:

Post by Uyrikeustek »

Son_of_Kauffman wrote:
ecks wrote:They were trying to make her corrupted so God will be stronger.
That is the general idea. Besides Heather can´t really die, since Valtiel will step in and fix her if she gets killed.
Heather CAN die. If she does, it's Valtiel's job to retrieve the fetus and protect it while resurrecting Heather. He really only cares about the god, not Heather as a person.
"What can be asserted without proof can be dismissed without proof." ~ Christopher Hitchens R.I.P.