They look like monsters to you?

Heather finds out why it's true that you shouldn't talk to strangers. Or look in mirrors, quite honestly.

Moderator: Moderators

Bowl Cat XL
Just Passing Through
Location: Otherworld boiler room, slipping through those frustrating bars

They look like monsters to you?

Post by Bowl Cat XL »

I searched, and didn't see a thread discussing the theory I had regarding Vincent's "joke". My apologies if a thread with this very same idea exists.

Remember when Vincent talked about how he didn't fear the otherword and the creatures residing in it? Well, I thought about it some, and if he doesn't view the creatures in Silent Hill as monsters, then wouldn't he see them in a different light? What i'm trying to say is maybe Vincent considers the monsters as an object of fascination, not horror.
Mechanical tender love
Plug in socket wonder drug
Electric action animal grind
Thudthudthud clocks the time
B5160-R
Historical Society Historian

Post by B5160-R »

What Vincent meant with his joke was that the Scrapers and Missonaries are real people (cultists willing to make a sacrifice of themselves), but look like monsters to Heather. -- http://silenthillforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=17045
[ Un-Space Exploration - UE photo blog ]
The Adversary
RESPECT

Post by The Adversary »

To add: Vincent doesn't see the monsters Heather does—only the "transfigured humans."
This post is the property of its author and is not to be used elsewhere without explicit permission from the author.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.
Bowl Cat XL
Just Passing Through

Post by Bowl Cat XL »

B5160-R wrote:What Vincent meant with his joke was that the Scrapers and Missonaries are real people (cultists willing to make a sacrifice of themselves), but look like monsters to Heather. -- http://silenthillforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=17045
Yes, I am aware of Scrapers and the Missionary being cultists, I was referring to the monsters that weren't transfigured. Sorry for any confusion. :oops: EDIT: So Vincent doesn't see any monsters around Silent Hill?
Mechanical tender love
Deadbolt
Just Passing Through

Post by Deadbolt »

No, of course not. They're not his demons, so why would he?
Arsonist
Hope House Careworker

Post by Arsonist »

'Cause collective otherworld is nothing new?
Bowl Cat XL
Just Passing Through

Post by Bowl Cat XL »

Arsonist wrote:
Erm... maybe i'm just not looking that much into your post, but could you word that differently? Sorry.
Mechanical tender love
Arsonist
Hope House Careworker

Post by Arsonist »

Well, it's not uncommon for everyone to see the same thing. They did in the original SH, in SH4, in SHO Alessa and Travis shared the otherworld, and in SHH everyone is, again seeing the same thing. It's quite possible that this is the case in SH3, however, this was never elaborated upon.
Bowl Cat XL
Just Passing Through

Post by Bowl Cat XL »

Arsonist wrote:Well, it's not uncommon for everyone to see the same thing. They did in the original SH, in SH4, in SHO Alessa and Travis shared the otherworld, and in SHH everyone is, again seeing the same thing. It's quite possible that this is the case in SH3, however, this was never elaborated upon.
Thanks, and that's what I've assumed to be true. But, because Team Silent didn't have Vincent mention them as anything other than "they", this theory could be false. Although I don't know who and/or what he could've been referring to then.
Mechanical tender love
Deadbolt
Just Passing Through

Post by Deadbolt »

I'm aware, but just because Douglas saw them doesn't mean Vincent does. It's implied Claudia either doesn't see the conjured monsters, or sees them as angels or something.
alone in the town

Post by alone in the town »

Or, as I've stated before, he uses 'monster' in a pejorative sense rather than literal, as in, he sees exactly what Heather sees, but he considers them fascinating specimens instead of hideous hellbeasts. It is likely, after all, that they make no effort to attack him.
-Alligator-
Just Passing Through

Post by -Alligator- »

B5160-R wrote:What Vincent meant with his joke was that the Scrapers and Missonaries are real people (cultists willing to make a sacrifice of themselves), but look like monsters to Heather. -- http://silenthillforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=17045
Leonard is also a real person, isn't he?
Bowl Cat XL
Just Passing Through

Post by Bowl Cat XL »

alone in the town wrote:Or, as I've stated before, he uses 'monster' in a pejorative sense rather than literal, as in, he sees exactly what Heather sees, but he considers them fascinating specimens instead of hideous hellbeasts. It is likely, after all, that they make no effort to attack him.
That is the idea I had, but explained alot more. Or your idea, because you mentioned that you've talked about this before. With so many theories in this forum, it's unlikely that any of my other ideas are original (not that that's a bad thing! :) ).
Mechanical tender love
Arsonist
Hope House Careworker

Post by Arsonist »

Or, as I've stated before, he uses 'monster' in a pejorative sense rather than literal, as in, he sees exactly what Heather sees, but he considers them fascinating specimens instead of hideous hellbeasts. It is likely, after all, that they make no effort to attack him.
This!

They're programmed from Alessa's desire to destroy herself, so it would make sense for them to only lash out at her.

Alternative idea could be that Heather and Claudia have separate otherworlds, and the two passersby Douglas and Vincent, got sucked into to the world of which ever person they were close to. Douglas into Heather's, Vincent into Claudia's.

And considering Claudia thinks the otherworld is god's work and that god is benevolent, she could easily be seeing angels, bunnies and shit like that.
Bowl Cat XL
Just Passing Through

Post by Bowl Cat XL »

Arsonist wrote:
This!

They're programmed from Alessa's desire to destroy herself, so it would make sense for them to only lash out at her.

Alternative idea could be that Heather and Claudia have separate otherworlds, and the two passersby Douglas and Vincent, got sucked into to the world of which ever person they were close to. Douglas into Heather's, Vincent into Claudia's.

And considering Claudia thinks the otherworld is god's work and that god is benevolent, she could easily be seeing angels, bunnies and shit like that.
Hm, I like your alternative. Makes sense, if you consider what they each say, i.e. Douglas' question (asking Heather if she's been seeing monsters), and Vincent's rant about the otherworld.
Mechanical tender love
Arsonist
Hope House Careworker

Post by Arsonist »

Hm, I like your alternative. Makes sense, if you consider what they each say, i.e. Douglas' question (asking Heather if she's been seeing monsters), and Vincent's rant about the otherworld.
Right, but there's one problem with it. In the end, Vincent acknowledges the nightmarish nature of the otherworld. "Although, I admit that this atrocious scenery is all yours" "Isn't this all nothing more the your own, personal nightmare"
Deadbolt
Just Passing Through

Post by Deadbolt »

There's, of course, always the possibility that how Vincent/Claudia/Whoever seems the Otherworld greatly altered once Heather entered the church, what with Nowhere and all.
Mephisto

Post by Mephisto »

"They look like monsters to you?"

Yes.
Bowl Cat XL
Just Passing Through

Post by Bowl Cat XL »

Arsonist wrote:
Right, but there's one problem with it. In the end, Vincent acknowledges the nightmarish nature of the otherworld. "Although, I admit that this atrocious scenery is all yours" "Isn't this all nothing more the your own, personal nightmare"
Yes, that is true. But if Heather's and Claudia each had their own respective otherworlds, than wouldn't the "atrocious scenery" still be rampant in Claudia's?
Mechanical tender love
Kampfgruppe Haus
Just Passing Through

Post by Kampfgruppe Haus »

Maybe Claudia and Vincent are seeing the exact same thing as Heather, but since they're both batshit crazy, they just interpret it differently.
Desperately seeking a real abandoned city, preferably in New Jersey or the tri-state area, where I can live out my Silent Hill fantasies. The Chernobyl Exclusion Zone looks promising but it's kinda far...