They look like monsters to you?

Heather finds out why it's true that you shouldn't talk to strangers. Or look in mirrors, quite honestly.

Moderator: Moderators

Uyrikeustek
My Bestsellers Clerk

Re: They look like monsters to you?

Post by Uyrikeustek »

Vincent's fucking crazy and hard to read, so he could be talking about anything.
"What can be asserted without proof can be dismissed without proof." ~ Christopher Hitchens R.I.P.
Valiturus
Just Passing Through

Post by Valiturus »

Bowl Cat XL wrote:I searched, and didn't see a thread discussing the theory I had regarding Vincent's "joke". My apologies if a thread with this very same idea exists.

Remember when Vincent talked about how he didn't fear the otherword and the creatures residing in it? Well, I thought about it some, and if he doesn't view the creatures in Silent Hill as monsters, then wouldn't he see them in a different light? What i'm trying to say is maybe Vincent considers the monsters as an object of fascination, not horror.
It was made clear that Vincent is fascinated by the Otherworld, not disgusted by it as Heather is. "I find it...most...fascinating..."
Quiet stairway. Rusted elevator. Darkness. White dress. Joy.
clips
Woodside Apartments Janitor

Post by clips »

Valiturus wrote:It was made clear that Vincent is fascinated by the Otherworld, not disgusted by it as Heather is. "I find it...most...fascinating..."
Towards the end tho, he wanted nothing to do with it....when he saw the overall picture that the birthing was not going to chime with his plans, he wanted claudia eliminated.
SPRINGS02
Historical Society Historian
Location: i'm sick of these monkey fighting snakes on this monday to friday plane.

Post by SPRINGS02 »

Valiturus wrote:It was made clear that Vincent is fascinated by the Otherworld, not disgusted by it as Heather is. "I find it...most...fascinating..."
Yeah but we don't know if he saw the exact same thing as heather, and if he did i doubt the monsters would be attacking him.
simeonalo

Post by simeonalo »

Most of the monsters in the church were actually cult members who became monsters in Heather's eyes...so I highly doubt that he was attacked. Maybe by other monsters, most certainly, but it's hard to distinguish what he really sees because of that CONFUSING one liner.

"They look like monsters to you?"
The Adversary
RESPECT

Post by The Adversary »

>Most of the monsters in the church were actually cult members who became monsters in Heather's eyes<
Not "most." Only one kind: the Scrapers.

Do I need to draw a diagram?
This post is the property of its author and is not to be used elsewhere without explicit permission from the author.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.
Arthemesic

Post by Arthemesic »

SPRINGS02 wrote:Yeah but we don't know if he saw the exact same thing as heather, and if he did i doubt the monsters would be attacking him.
Harry saw things based on Alessa's imagination, I'm sure Vincent does certainly see all or most of what we do.
I checked it out from the script on SHH, Vincent does indeed state the following:

"Home? This church is my home. I built it with my power. The power of money that you view with such scorn.
Although, I admit that this atrocious scenery is all yours.
"
Victory Of The Soul, Triumph Over Ordeal
lain of the wired
Location: Is this not Eorzea? Where the hell was that exit...?

Post by lain of the wired »

^Ooh, good catch.
You'll be missed. You were missed. I am missing you.
The Adversary
RESPECT

Post by The Adversary »

>Home? This church is my home. I built it with my power. The power of money that you view with such scorn.<
A line which makes no sense given Vincent's age and the age of the church itself.

Vincent is officially between 24 and 26 years old. We know the chapel existed 17 years ago, and also existed when Alessa was just a child, pre-immolation, so the technically, according to Vincent, he built the church—with his own money—when he was about . . . two years old.
This post is the property of its author and is not to be used elsewhere without explicit permission from the author.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.
lain of the wired

Churches aren't just literal buildings. The word can also refer to a religion and/or its followers, and/or a specific congregation.
The Adversary
RESPECT

Post by The Adversary »

"This church is my home" indicates he's talking about the construct itself. After all—Vincent doesn't believe in the religion. Why would he call the idea, the belief system, his "home" when he doesn't even adhere to it?

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.
SPRINGS02
Location: i'm sick of these monkey fighting snakes on this monday to friday plane.

Post by SPRINGS02 »

Hmmm maybe vincent did see what heather saw. Even if this is the case i still say the monsters definitely didn't attack him. Actually from that quote you put vincent could actually just be talking about the church itself and not the monsters.
lain of the wired

1. "Home" doesn't have to be the literal, either.
  2. Claudia: When did you stop believing in God? God lives. Just look around you.
    Vincent: But I do believe in Her. In my own way. I fear Her and I adore Her. But I haven’t lost my mind like you.
It sounds less like he doesn't believe in the religion itself so much as he follows a different set of beliefs than Claudia. You know, like different sects of Christianity? I thought you were the super buff on the religions of SH- why am I reminding you of this?
The Adversary
RESPECT

Post by The Adversary »

>I thought you were the super buff on the religions of SH- why am I reminding you of this?<
Because you think you're right?

Context is important here. He used his money to increase the Order's influence, but Claudia used faith to bring in its followers.

Besides:
[u]Lost Memories: Silent Hill Chronicle[/u] wrote:Despite the fact that he is a priest in the town's religious organization,
Vincent actively opposes the rebirth of God. Using the contributions of
devotees he has been able to greatly expand the cult, and it is known that
he forces some of the cult's adherents to donate to the church funds.
Vincent's goal is to make money using the church. Although it is his plan
to tie Claudia's and Alessa's special powers to faith in the church, he has
no desire to take it so far as to actually see God restored to this world.
For this reason, he intends to approach Heather and prevent Claudia from
carrying out her plans.
Believing in God is different from believing in the religion. "It's not uncommon for people to worship the same god and still disagree. [. . .] I don't want God to be born."

He's the Billy Graham of The Order.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.
lain of the wired

My point was he's not claiming to have literally funded the literal building of the church in that statement. If I say "I AM the Power Company," I'm not saying I literally am the Power Company- the building, the people and all the furniture therein.
The Adversary
RESPECT

Post by The Adversary »

>My point was he's not claiming to have literally funded the literal building of the church in that statement.<
That's good, because, like I said, it wouldn't make any sense. ;)

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.
lain of the wired

...So you were arguing why exactly?
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

Could Vincent simply be responsible for REBUILDING the goddamn church into a bigger/newer building? We've really never actually seen the thing before SH3.
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
leftshoe18
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by leftshoe18 »

AuraTwilight wrote:Could Vincent simply be responsible for REBUILDING the goddamn church into a bigger/newer building? We've really never actually seen the thing before SH3.
That's possible.
The Adversary
RESPECT

Post by The Adversary »

>...So you were arguing why exactly?<
Because the line doesn't make sense. . . .

>Could Vincent simply be responsible for REBUILDING the goddamn church into a bigger/newer building?<
Vincent was born in 1972 (assuming he's 25 in Silent Hill 3, in 1997), and, according to Lost Memories: Silent Hill Chronicle, "After Dahlia's death, there was a period of inactivity in the religious organization." It goes on to say this period lasted around ten years, when "the structure of the organization was adjusted and the number of adherents rapidly increased. One young priest was behind this renovation": Vincent.

Dahlia died in 1980, so Vincent's rebuilding efforts occurred in 1990. He was only 18 years old at the time. Silent Hill 3 Novelization indicates Vincent was a mathematics genius and earned his degree in it . . . but really? Was an 18-year-old really capable of doing all that? Earning his degree in mathematics, financing the reconstruction of the chapel, etc.

That's my problem with Vincent's line: It's ludicrous. What kind of wunderkind are we dealing with? and how fucking stupid must he be to continually insult a bat-shit insane woman with a knife?

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.