Humanoid monsters too similar?

Heather finds out why it's true that you shouldn't talk to strangers. Or look in mirrors, quite honestly.

Moderator: Moderators

Kerrigan
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Kerrigan »

crucifix wrote:
Kerrigan wrote:Anyone using the USMG must be terrible with everything else. :(
or having fun finishing the game comically fast. shocking concept, i know.
Right.

I personally would discount the repeating creatures from the later games because there was little creative emphasis behind their designs; they were all just sort of thrown in because they thought that Silent Hill fans would eat that shit up.

But if we're not, then we may as well tally up Siam (Closer), the Nurses, Ariel (Mannequins), and although not humanoid, the Creepers are present in three of the games.
Dr. Eggnog

Post by Dr. Eggnog »

Damn it, a lot of these names are not the ones I grew up with reading the dan birlew strategy guides. What the heck is a creeper? Also, the lying figures will always be patient demons to me.
Kerrigan
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Kerrigan »

The cockroaches, though in Homecoming they were known as "Swarm".
pisces9397
Just Passing Through

Post by pisces9397 »

To clear things up, I'm not talking about the different "species" of monsters looking similar. I'm saying I think that one closer should look a little different from ANOTHER closer, or one scraper should different from another scraper, etc....I don't know why, I just feel that way though.

And how the hell did the topic change to the DIFFICULTY of the monsters? We need a whole different thread for that topic.
I have a chainsaw in my pocket. -Owl_Waxer
Harrys_Girl
Historical Society Historian

Post by Harrys_Girl »

^Think of how much time they spend on one Closer. They don't really want to go through and redo it just to make it look different. They could have added a hat like RE4 did to different Ganados, bot somehow I think they assumed it would look too comical for a Closer to be wearing a hat, especially when a hat would clash w/ the outfit so much.
neonblack
Hope House Careworker

Post by neonblack »

Silent Hill is rarely objective. Heather's mind is perceiving the monsters as well as manifesting them, so it is no different than Silent Hill 2. Their attire is a part of the symbolism of her perception, and that is why they all look the same. And I'm not sure what you mean by 'humanoid' monsters. Closers are no more humanoid than any monster in the series, excepting the animals. Scrapers are actually transfigured humans though, and what they appear to Heather as may not be what they appear to themselves or Claudia as.
"Blessed is the lion which becomes man when consumed by man; and cursed is the man whom the lion consumes, and the lion becomes man."
[size=84]The Gospel of Thomas, logion 7.[/size]
Herr Shaun
Gravedigger

Post by Herr Shaun »

The problem is, you can't please everybody. Recycle the monsters from the previous game(s), and you get the one half of the fanbase going, "What, Lying Figures again?". Change them up, and the other half pipes up with, "These new monsters suck, bring back the classic creatures like Lying Figures!"

It's the sad truth about many game audiences. :P
You've got your good things, and I've got mine.
pisces9397
Just Passing Through

Post by pisces9397 »

Closers are no more humanoid than any monster in the series, excepting the animals.

^That's what I mean. Basically all the monsters just in SH3 that aren't dogs or pendulums.

Don't get me wrong I love the monsters, and I'm not bashing the creators, it was kind of like I had a little itch I couldn't scratch. For some reason I thought that even though Heather and Claudia were manifesting the creatures, each individual creature might look somewhat different. Whereas in SH2, James' subconscious had a more precise reason for conjuring monsters, so he wouldn't change them as much.

I'm starting to not make sense to myself now....
I have a chainsaw in my pocket. -Owl_Waxer
Mephisto
Historical Society Historian

Post by Mephisto »

>I'm starting to not make sense to myself now....

I do that all the time. Don't worry I understood you.

Note: On another post of mine in this same thread (it was the first one if I'm not wrong) that word "sex" regarding the monsters was "gender" sorry for the misunderstanding. :?