Heather and Mirrors

Heather finds out why it's true that you shouldn't talk to strangers. Or look in mirrors, quite honestly.

Moderator: Moderators

Aric - The Reaper
Gravedigger

Post by Aric - The Reaper »

nice perspective.
Lost within this town, Silent Hill. It is cursed...much like me. This letter... this feeling.... What darkness lies within my heart? - Silent Hill 6: Reaper - By A.R.
BloodyFanGirl
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by BloodyFanGirl »

Anise wrote:Actually, I thought that the Memory of Alessa boss was more... intentional. That Alessa herself would rather kill her incarnation than let Heather fall into the hands of the Order any further.
I didn't mean to sound as though I was disregarding it and saying it was unintentional. I understand the bosses relevance. I was just building on that really.
Anise wrote:But... in regards to mirrors. I believe that for Heather, it's a little like expecting there to be another step where there isn't, and getting that weird feeling when you step down further than expected. Or like expecting sprite, but getting water - part of her mind expects to see one thing, the other part another, and as a result, she feels her reflection is a bit of a lie.
I like this idea. It's a very good point.

I'd like to build on Anise's point though this next point may feel like a bit of a stretch.
Mirrors have, for some time, had a certain revealing mystique about them. For example, in traditional lore, a vampire could be revealed as a non-human if they stood in front of a mirror because they don't have reflections. For Heather, a mirror does a somewhat similar revealing act as Anise has said, highlighting the fact that she isn't exactly your every day seventeen year old...A fact that Heather is more than slightly unwilling to acknowledge at first (understandably).
Aric - The Reaper
Gravedigger

Nice facts and ideas my fellow Silent Hill players.
Lost within this town, Silent Hill. It is cursed...much like me. This letter... this feeling.... What darkness lies within my heart? - Silent Hill 6: Reaper - By A.R.
Edea
Just Passing Through

Post by Edea »

Aric - The Reaper wrote:I think some of those images we see that are not in the game were prolly pre-ideas but never make it.

but still any more ideas as to why Heather hates mirrors?
I've read somewhere that mentally unstable people target their own reflections in mirrors first, rather than anything else.
Aric - The Reaper
Gravedigger

that's true too, i saw that happen in one CSI esp. it's real condition too
NeoAquarius12
Gravedigger

Post by NeoAquarius12 »

People who are diagnosed with schizophrenia cannot tell their own body from others. In a 2006 study, when schizos were shown images of their own hands and other peoples, they couldn;t identify their own versus the other persons even if the skin color was different. And although schizophrenia and split personality syndrone are not the same thing, schizophrenia is usually a precursor to the other. So, perhaps, it is Heather unable to identify herself because of the fact that there is more than one identiy inside of her. Also, her dislike of mirrors could be a direct correlation to her femininity... how she wishes she could be more attractive, or more acceptable in society. That was my initial thought.
I don't make a signature.
Except for the part of the signature explaining that I don't.
And that.
And that.
And that.
...and that.
Aric - The Reaper
Gravedigger

Wow, even indepth research there and great pointers!
Koshercrackers
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Koshercrackers »

I think I read somewhere that witches didn't like mirrors, and if a witch got caught between two mirrors, her soul would be stolen. Alessa was called a witch.
*eyebrow jiggle*
AuraTwilight
Historical Society Historian

Post by AuraTwilight »

And although schizophrenia and split personality syndrone are not the same thing, schizophrenia is usually a precursor to the other.
*facepalm* No, it's NOT.
I think I read somewhere that witches didn't like mirrors, and if a witch got caught between two mirrors, her soul would be stolen. Alessa was called a witch.
*eyebrow jiggle*
Heh, Alessa missed her Hogwarts invitation mirite?
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
NeoAquarius12
Gravedigger

Post by NeoAquarius12 »

I thought I read that in my abnormal psych class, but I cannot find any evidence of it. I have found that it has many characteristics that are the same, and can be found in the same case, but are not directly linked usually. My mistake. lol
I don't make a signature.
Except for the part of the signature explaining that I don't.
And that.
And that.
And that.
...and that.
Aric - The Reaper
Gravedigger

so many ideas adn pointers.

Recently i think it's because of how Alessa saw herself in mirrors as a torment young girl and for Heather that memory was passed on (though she doesn't rememebr it) feels that mirrors are reflecting something and someone that isn't her or has happened to her.

Mirrors never lie.