Leonard Wolf — Coincidence? or Subtle Brilliance?

Heather finds out why it's true that you shouldn't talk to strangers. Or look in mirrors, quite honestly.

Moderator: Moderators

DamienPales
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by DamienPales »

I'm actually inclined to go with coincidence.

Leonard is a common name. So is Wolf as a surname. You can type Harry Mason on Google, making sure to exclude any Silent Hill-related searches on the search bar, and you'll find a crapload of people with the same name. Chances are one of them has some connection with related themes of Silent Hill if you look hard enough.

Cool find, nonetheless.

(You can always ask Jeremy Blaustein. He frequents here, no? He'll have a definitive answer on this, I'm guessing.)
NeoAquarius12
Gravedigger

Post by NeoAquarius12 »

Well, probably not a coincidence. If you read the book... what is it called? Lost something or other... they explain that they get most names from real life people or movie/book characters that are in some way related to the character. They don't go over Leonard in it, but I am quite sure they scoured long and hard for that name. Very few names have no meaning. Heather being one of them. lol
I don't make a signature.
Except for the part of the signature explaining that I don't.
And that.
And that.
And that.
...and that.
The Adversary
RESPECT

Post by The Adversary »

>it was the author who rewrote beloved horror novels.
I think you (and others) have misinterpreted what exactly Leonard Wolf does. . . .

He doesn't rewrite horror novels; he annotates and writes introductions for them.
This post is the property of its author and is not to be used elsewhere without explicit permission from the author.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.
Droo

Post by Droo »

Most of the last names in SH4 are mostly arbitrary, though. Blaustein named them after streets in his city.
"Oh yeah, I've been here before
I can see it with eyes closed
Shadows that look like blood
Dead as far as the mind goes
Fear that comes from my head
Lives in the mirror"
paladin181
Subway Guard

Post by paladin181 »

MMY: There you go. As I said. I've never even heard of the guy, so really, I was guessing that he made abridged editions or some such. So happy happy joy joy for me!!

Also, the last names from SH2 are towns around where Blaustein lives.
=====================================================
|.My Avatar is larger than yours because I'm a cult subscriber.|
=====================================================
NeoAquarius12
Gravedigger

Post by NeoAquarius12 »

Droo wrote:Most of the last names in SH4 are mostly arbitrary, though. Blaustein named them after streets in his city.
Well, at least we know they came from somewhere. That makes me feel better, that they weren't in the writing room thinking... You know what a good last name would be? Galvin. It sounds awesome and makes me want to be a judge all of a sudden. Instead it was more like... I need names! "Look outside!".... K! Got em!
I don't make a signature.
Except for the part of the signature explaining that I don't.
And that.
And that.
And that.
...and that.
Chrysaor
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Chrysaor »

NeoAquarius12 wrote:Well, probably not a coincidence. If you read the book... what is it called? Lost something or other... they explain that they get most names from real life people or movie/book characters that are in some way related to the character. They don't go over Leonard in it, but I am quite sure they scoured long and hard for that name. Very few names have no meaning. Heather being one of them. lol
Heather actually has a cool little nod to it as well. She completes a trifecta of flowers (one of them being fictional).

Black Dahlia
White Claudia
Pink Heather

Great find, MMY. I'm impressed.
Holy One
Just Passing Through

Post by Holy One »

I just noticed that after looking at the book the other day.

But maybe we've got it all wrong, and the SH3 Leonard is the real one, writing the foreward during his stay in Brookhaven... :shock:

Hey, he had to do something with his time besides ready himself to become a giant zombie poop monster.
THREAD QUESTION: "Does anyone want to date Heather?"
PARTYHARD: "Well, she carries a fuckton of emotional baggage, she's her own mother, used to be a suicidal girl who opened the gates of Hell in a town and would kill people with her brain, she's 31 in a teenage body, she can go on a relentless rampage if you piss her off enough... sure, don't see why not."
BloodyFanGirl
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by BloodyFanGirl »

Gotta agree with Doo-Glass, Juridawn and Mephisto; It's highly likely that it was intentional.

When you look at the stories and meanings behind the names of other SH characters, it would appear that Team Silent don't choose names entirely randomly.

Also, I didn't make the connection between Lisa's surname and her acting aspirations before. I even knew where her surname came from when I saw that bit in Origins. I can't believe I didn't 'get it' previously. XD Thanks NeoAquarius12 and Cascade88.