Halo of the Sun

Heather finds out why it's true that you shouldn't talk to strangers. Or look in mirrors, quite honestly.

Moderator: Moderators

Soulless-Shadow
Subway Guard

Re: Halo of the Sun

Post by Soulless-Shadow »

The Adversary wrote:At least someone cares. Thanks, Mephisto.
I care. :( I just didn't have anything worth saying, so I didn't comment (I just watch silently). Keep up the good work though. I'd love to know more about the Halo of the Sun.
mikefile
Gravedigger

Post by mikefile »

I researched a bit the alchemical symbols and found out that an exact number does not exist, and neither a firm meaning for each character. Alchemical symbols also vary on the alchemists that invented them and might hold different meanings, therefore, there is no secure established pattern that could be used to decode the Halo. Not to mention that each element can have more than one symbol. For instance, while looking for the graphic symbol representing gold, I found more than 15 graphic drawings representing the element. Some of them are completely different, but the majority is loyal to a certain geometrical pattern that gets altered from symbol to symbol. Moreover, although these graphic symbols were used to denote compounds and elements, these, tied in a series can also denote an allegoric meaning, such as the Green Lion figure that Adversary mentioned. So maybe, apart from the insight into the use of alchemy and magic among the Order, we might have the opportunity to find some idea and allegorical meaning, hidden behind the pattern. Of course, we must translate every sign to do so, which is painfully hard and unapproachable, I must tell you.

I compared about 150 alchemical symbols with the Halo pattern and succeed in finding some possible insight on just some of it. Only very few symbols share the exact form, but most of them are a close match, so I considered multiple choices for some symbols. However, as I said, alchemists used to draw their own symbols their own way, therefore, it's possible that we might not find any meaning of some marks at all. If you wish, you may insert it into the narrative: the Order members, back before the 18th century, by using alchemy for their spells they drew their own symbols. What I'm saying is that we shouldn't even exclude the possibilities that some of them might be an ambiguous fictional version of the real, yet more ambiguous ancient marks that we're aware of.

I did some drafts last year and then forgot about it until now. I'm not currently able to post it. I must subscribe to Image Shack or something. Nevertheless, here are some elements I found equal and very close to the inner circle pattern. Since I'm not posting any pics for now, I'll be referencing them clock wise (by reading the 33 sigil symbols as on clock). For practicality, I'll also type Adversary's signs so you can reference it easily if you want with his pic on the previous page.

Symbol 6. calx pura [pure lime], terra penderola, Neptune, cinerosclarell (...)
S.7. Lead
S.11. (Adversary's n.10)- gold, zinc
I'm pretty sure this one should be zinc. I found more than 5 symbols forming the letter “Z“ that way, and one of them is almost identical, but without the short line on one end.
S.12. (Adversary's n.11)- arfenicum citrium [citrium=lemon], alumen calcinatum [calcinded alum], fpagiriae praeparatum
S.17. (Adversary's n.14)- phosphorus
S.22. (Adversary's n.17)- tin
S.24. (Adversary's n.19)- toleum, acetum deftillanum [acetum=vinegar]
S.30. (Adversary's n.1)- tin, Jupiter, aqua fortis

@The Adversary- I wanted to ask you: on what did you base the arrangement of the symbols? I see you listed the Jupiter/tin symbol as the first one, but from the clockwise point of view it appears to be the last one (the 30th)- the latest not repeated symbol. Plus, another thing I wanted to ask you. Regarding the 18th sign you drawed- it seems to me that it may be the same as your 9th (10th clockwise). It's actually hard to fully distinguish it because it's positioned exactly near one of the 3 circles that covers a part of the symbol. That's also a problem I encountered. Many signs are extremely close to the circles so you can't notice them clearly. Moreover, while comparing some of my drawings with yours, I see that symbols such as the 9th, 14th and 18th (numbered by your draft) have a very ambiguous shape. I find it tricky to distinguish whether it's an exact triangle or more of an irregular curved shape. How did you handle this? What picture did you use as reference? I found one that seemed the most clear, but still some of the stamps are so screwed up.

Another symbol I discovered, the first up on the outside of the 2 circles representing: hora [hour], acetum cydoniorum, arfenicum album.

I had some difficulties with translating some parts. I get the nouns clearly, but the deftillanum, calcinatum, arfenicum crap are very blurry in my memory section of latin lessons. I know the translation should be 'distilled', 'carbonized' or something, but kill me, I don't remember. And online translators don't give me shit. So, if anyone's interested, go ahead and share a translation.
The Adversary
RESPECT

Post by The Adversary »

>I wanted to ask you: on what did you base the arrangement of the symbols?<
I started with the Jupiter symbol because it was the first one I discovered. I only did it for my sake, really.

As for the 9th and 18th symbols—that's why I put a question mark next to the 17th and 18th symbols.
This post is the property of its author and is not to be used elsewhere without explicit permission from the author.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.