What the heck is up with the soundtrack cover?

Heather finds out why it's true that you shouldn't talk to strangers. Or look in mirrors, quite honestly.

Moderator: Moderators

SilentWren
Historical Society Historian

Re: What the heck is up with the soundtrack cover?

Post by SilentWren »

Verslie wrote:Silent Hill 2 - Introduces Maria, a blatant slut that's only there to satisfy James' lust. Nobody complains.

Silent Hill 3 - A slightly exposed Heather on the front of the soundtrack. "SO SEXUAL OH MY GOD WHAT AM I LOOKING AT WON'T SOMEBODY PLEASE THINK OF THE CHILDREN?"
Um...yeah I came in here to pretty much say that....

I guess the visual is more stand out than the suggestive? Nope. Not buying it. I stick with what ^ said :evil:
The above user visits this forum *very infrequently.* If you need any type of response or answer from her, she may or may not be able to provide it in a timely manner.

Thank you for understanding. <3

http://silenthillforum.com/viewtopic.ph ... 28#p674128
Zeraylph
Just Passing Through

Post by Zeraylph »

Just wondering, of all the people that complained about Grand Theft Auto series for sexual themes.

HOW come no one comes after silent hill series.

How can Konami get away with this in a game?, pyramid head raping mannquins.

I have been mentally scarred permanently for life after playing SH 2. The most terrible thing I've ever seen. Im mentally disturbed even to this day. "Did I just really see, what i just saw!? tha eff!?"

SH 3 wasn't too bad, now that I learned Heather was created cooly xD. The soundtrack cover no longer really stings me
Jirachi!!!! Make a Wish!
Kenji

Post by Kenji »

Zeraylph wrote:Just wondering, of all the people that complained about Grand Theft Auto series for sexual themes.

The answer is simple.

GTA sells, Silent Hill doesn't.

GTA3, in particular, moved PS2 systems (i.e. people bought PS2s for GTA3) and became a phenomenon that everybody was talking about, so it attracted a ton of attention to itself. Silent Hill, while it sells enough to get sequels, is a niche product that almost nobody talks about.

Since the mainstream doesn't know about Silent Hill, it'd do the media or politicians no good to complain about it, even if they knew about it.
Zeraylph
Just Passing Through

Post by Zeraylph »

Kenji wrote:
Zeraylph wrote:Just wondering, of all the people that complained about Grand Theft Auto series for sexual themes.

The answer is simple.

GTA sells, Silent Hill doesn't.

GTA3, in particular, moved PS2 systems (i.e. people bought PS2s for GTA3) and became a phenomenon that everybody was talking about, so it attracted a ton of attention to itself. Silent Hill, while it sells enough to get sequels, is a niche product that almost nobody talks about.

Since the mainstream doesn't know about Silent Hill, it'd do the media or politicians no good to complain about it, even if they knew about it.
ah ok, that clears it up for me then. I know what ya mean, one of my friends was complaining the other day why I liked Silent hill series.

None of my friends ever heard of silent hill at all.
Jirachi!!!! Make a Wish!
SilentWren

Post by SilentWren »

^None of them? When I was in the theater for the movie, there was a little group of three of us that started talking about the games as the credits were rolling. I guess my town is weird or something...
The above user visits this forum *very infrequently.* If you need any type of response or answer from her, she may or may not be able to provide it in a timely manner.

Thank you for understanding. <3

http://silenthillforum.com/viewtopic.ph ... 28#p674128
Zeraylph
Just Passing Through

Post by Zeraylph »

SilentWren wrote:^None of them? When I was in the theater for the movie, there was a little group of three of us that started talking about the games as the credits were rolling. I guess my town is weird or something...
Come to think of it, I remember in my middle school, this one guy dared this other guy to play Silent Hill for the playstation at night, the other guy said, "hell no, silent hill foo?, that game is scary."

"Dang foo, the ending boss electrocuted me foo, that one girl turns into this angel thing and she freaking shocked me foo"

The way they said it was hilarious LOL. Good times when they talked about it. I wish I knew them though.
Jirachi!!!! Make a Wish!
SPRINGS02
Location: i'm sick of these monkey fighting snakes on this monday to friday plane.

Post by SPRINGS02 »

I still don't think the soundtrack cover is that big of a deal, people are overreacting.
cascade88

Post by cascade88 »

SPRINGS02 wrote:I still don't think the soundtrack cover is that big of a deal, people are overreacting.
Exactly. It's just a nifty picture used for a soundtrack cover, the end. As for it... symbolizing things? Well:

If you have to ask what it symbolizes, it didn't.
Roger Ebert

/just my opinion on the matter
єเภ ןє๔єг єภﻮєl เรt รςђгєςкlเςђ
mikefile
Gravedigger

Post by mikefile »

And it's not. We're not overreacting, we're just discussing it. They showed a bit of Heather's skin to sell the albul (sex sells) --and- it also fits the theme.
Soulless-Shadow
Subway Guard

Post by Soulless-Shadow »

mikefile wrote:And it's not. We're not overreacting, we're just discussing it. They showed a bit of Heather's skin to sell the albul (sex sells) --and- it also fits the theme.
I don't think they chose that picture in order to simply sell the album. The only people who would be interested in it would be SH fans, and they would buy it for the music rather than a glimpse of video game boobs. Now, if the game had that pic or something similar on the cover, then it would be for sales.
mikefile
Gravedigger

Post by mikefile »

Then by that.. they shouldn't do anything for the cover, they could display Heather poop, and still.. fans would buy it- 'cause it says: "Silent Hill"; or their intention was to expand the public by showing some skin, or..it wasn't.. but then we're back on symbolics. Then.. I think, like I said before, that it may represent Heather's maturity. So the options would be selling interess or symbolics- or why not both?
Patman
Gravedigger

Post by Patman »

Is it a CD sold in the US ? Cause I just remembered something : all the Final Fantasy games in Asia and Europe just featured a white cover with the logo in the center, nothing else (except FFXIII). Such sober covers didn' t fit the American market, for some reason you always had your own ugly covers showing the game characters.
Kenji

Post by Kenji »

No, the soundtrack as a separate product is Japan-only. In America, it came bundled with the game, inside the DVD case.
Harrys_Girl

Post by Harrys_Girl »

True. First time through this thread long ago, I had no idea what people were talking about. It wasn't until I uploaded the album cover into iTunes that I saw the OST cover.

And it isn't meant to be out-of-the-blue sexual. It has a point. It shows the torso. It was showing Heather exposed. She is exposed, she always has been no matter if she knows it or not. She's been pregnant her entire life w/ half a god fetus.

Now the booty-shorts Heather in this collage is out of character. I always thought it as a cheap fanwork...
Soulless-Shadow
Subway Guard

Post by Soulless-Shadow »

mikefile wrote:Then by that.. they shouldn't do anything for the cover, they could display Heather poop, and still.. fans would buy it- 'cause it says: "Silent Hill"; or their intention was to expand the public by showing some skin, or..it wasn't.. but then we're back on symbolics. Then.. I think, like I said before, that it may represent Heather's maturity. So the options would be selling interess or symbolics- or why not both?
Has anyone actually seen any SH CDs in store? I still don't think it was a matter of "sex sells". Like you said, it could represent Heather's maturity, or as Harry's Girl mentioned, it might just be about Heather being exposed. I don't think we're supposed to think of the picture as sexual, given the look on Heather's face. It's not really a "sexy" face...
Kenji wrote:No, the soundtrack as a separate product is Japan-only. In America, it came bundled with the game, inside the DVD case.
That would sure explain the odd cover for the SH4 soundtrack. If any of the soundtrack covers deserved a WTF it's that one. That cover doesn't make much sense for me.
Kenji

Post by Kenji »

Soulless-Shadow wrote:That would sure explain the odd cover for the SH4 soundtrack. If any of the soundtrack covers deserved a WTF it's that one. That cover doesn't make much sense for me.
I think the SH4 OST's cover is the way it is because the second disc is a series of traditional Japanese ghost stories... which may say something for how badly Silent Hill sells in Japan, if they have to bundle in a completely unrelated disc and advertise it in order to sell the soundtrack.

As for the reasons behind the SH3 OST's cover? Probably just plain ol' artsiness, with all the baggage the word "artsy" entails. I personally like it, and I don't think it means anything.
clips
Woodside Apartments Janitor

Post by clips »

Harrys_Girl wrote:True. First time through this thread long ago, I had no idea what people were talking about. It wasn't until I uploaded the album cover into iTunes that I saw the OST cover.

And it isn't meant to be out-of-the-blue sexual. It has a point. It shows the torso. It was showing Heather exposed. She is exposed, she always has been no matter if she knows it or not. She's been pregnant her entire life w/ half a god fetus.

Now the booty-shorts Heather in this collage is out of character. I always thought it as a cheap fanwork...

Haha...i agree.....the cover seen in the soundtrack cover doesn't scream sex to me at all...not in the slightest...now the booty-shorts heather has sex written all over it...she's even looking at you with a sly look...the other heather is just standing or leaning on the wall(even with the low cut vest, it doesn't scream sex to me...the vest is big and bulky and doesn't come off as to being sexy at all)...Heather in general to me isn't sexy anyway...i'm mean she's not ugly or anything, but i've always thought that she looked like she was tired or on drugs.

Eileen and Cynthia were the only female characters where their in-game models were somewhat attractive....
Xev

Post by Xev »

Its not offensive one bit, you cant even see anything. Her shirt is low but that is merely suggestion. I like your description Harry's Girl, it gives the feeling of exposure - but its more of a feeling rather than visual which I think is a nice touch to the art.
mikefile
Gravedigger

Post by mikefile »

It's nice how they combined exposure (regardless if sexy or not) with her sad look on her face.
shaka
Just Passing Through

Post by shaka »

I have that soundtrack, and I love that cover.

nothing wrong with that..
[img]http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e359/shaka-de-virgo/fgfgfggf5dq.jpg[/img]