Scariest Game of All Time?

Heather finds out why it's true that you shouldn't talk to strangers. Or look in mirrors, quite honestly.

Moderator: Moderators

gothicsnowman
Just Passing Through

Scariest Game of All Time?

Post by gothicsnowman »

That's what I think. Why? Brookhaven's otherworld. Never remember myself being more freaked out. I mean, come on. The storeroom? Freakin genius!
angelofROOM302
Historical Society Historian

Post by angelofROOM302 »

Absolutely not.
It always gives me the creeps to play and I always hesitate before putting it in, but it's not the scariest for me.
Mephisto

Post by Mephisto »

No, it's not. Only on your first run. . .

I guess SPRINGS will "pull" a Chrysaor and will write almost half a page saying about what he likes in SH3.
SilentObserver
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by SilentObserver »

^ What is wrong with that?

The otherworld hospital is better (worse? haha) on the PC version with a high-end video card. I'm not kidding. So is the church. Either way, it's definetly scary. Even after about 100 times through the game it's still pretty freaky.
Only some of my posts are serious.
Mephisto

Post by Mephisto »

What is wrong with that?
Nothing. . .
It's just the sort of thing that he would do. He always does that, it's predictable.
SilentObserver
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by SilentObserver »

^ fair enough. As long as it doesn't start with "that's why I love these games, so much symbolism, blah blah blah blah blah blah blah" - to me that sounds like a diary entry :lol:
Anyway I'm probably going to get flack for taking this OT so I'll shut up now.
Only some of my posts are serious.
KageReneko
Subway Guard

Post by KageReneko »

The "Scariest" title is very personal... Your Scariest Silent Hill game generally is the first that you every played...

My first Silent Hill was the PSX one and I personally find it the scariest of the saga... SH3 has good visuals but it also has several bad points like:

- You can see the map with the flashlight off so you don't have to take the risk of be discovered for watch your location... Genrally the flashlight features that we had in the first 2 games were lost in this game...
- The game is linear so you don't have to fight and find your way to your next location...
- Heather is too good for shoot the gun, you don't have problems like miss the shoots like Harry and James had... This kills the fear of the first games...
-The BGM isn't so creepy and bizarre like the first one...

Anyway, the puzzles in SH3 are the best of the saga...
DistantJ
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by DistantJ »

CLose. I'd pick Silent Hill 2. Then again SH2 was my first SH and what Kage says kinda makes sense, but I do feel like SH2 has a feeling of being so alone, so far from home, and so completely paranoid which I don't think anything else has managed to replicate.
Where we're from, the birds sing a pretty song, and there's always music in the air.
SPRINGS02
Location: i'm sick of these monkey fighting snakes on this monday to friday plane.

Post by SPRINGS02 »

Mephisto wrote:No, it's not. Only on your first run. . .

I guess SPRINGS will "pull" a Chrysaor and will write almost half a page saying about what he likes in SH3.
Heh you know me to well. But seriously I would say its easily up there to be considered scariest game of all time I mean i've never seen a horror game thats had such an abstract disturbing atmosphere. Sh2 was extremely creepy but it was more sad and dreamlike than abstract. I would say that fatal frame 1, and 3, and silent hill 4 would be the only horror games up there with silent hill 3 as far as how scary they are with an honorable mention to siren blood curse. Im kind of curious about what other people consider to be the scariest game...

Oh yeah and whats wrong with me always giving reasons why i like sh3, its not any more predictable than the people who have a hard on for shattered memories and always say "its the best silent hill game EVAR" or all the people that say silent hill 2 is like the god of silent hill games.
DistantJ
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by DistantJ »

It's cool, SPRINGS. I admire your willingness to put your opinion forward and justify it in as many words as you feel are necessary. Reminds me of me :P

Siren: Blood Curse, I just heard about that game today actually, and it's for PS3, which is the console I actually have (well, that and a DS), so I could check it out. What kind of thing is it? You think it'd be worth taking a look at?
Where we're from, the birds sing a pretty song, and there's always music in the air.
Shadow Dragon
Just Passing Through

Post by Shadow Dragon »

It's the scariest that I've played but It's also the first SH I've played. Which, following that some of the others were also picking the first they played, is usually the one people find the scariest. I think that has to do with the fact that after your first playthrough in one, you begin the learn the "rules" of the game. For instance, stairways are generally safe. So you now what to expect in any other one your play.
"They look like monsters to you?"
SPRINGS02
Location: i'm sick of these monkey fighting snakes on this monday to friday plane.

Post by SPRINGS02 »

Thanks distantJ and yes it is worth taking a look at but just letting you know episode 3 is when things really start getting creepy. Siren blood curse pulls off what silent hill shattered memories tried to do with the whole hiding from enemies thing(you can still fight them but they aren't easy to kill). The shibito(demon people) are really creepy and you can't kill them you can only knock them out for a little while, but they get up pretty soon. What makes them creepy is that they look disturbing but they are more than zombies they talk and they enjoy killing. Also it gets really tense when you play as a 5 year old girl who's in a hospital full of shibito, she can't fight the shibito and all she can do is hide it gets pretty tense, definitely worth a look.
Eric-3
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Eric-3 »

It's not the scariest game to me, but it's the scariest Silent Hill game to me.

The scariest for me would probably be Fatal Frame II. Since enemies can pop out from anywhere (like through solid walls and floors) and you have to let them get right up in your face in first-person view to effectively fight them, it makes me uneasy. I never feel safe in that game. And that's apparently not the scariest Fatal Frame, but it's the only one I've played.
supperhater
Just Passing Through

Post by supperhater »

I don't want to turn my post into a big bitching session about SH3, I do like the game, but I personally found the first 2 games far scarier. I've only played the first 3 games so far... so if I'd played 4/5/Shattered Memories etc. I would probably appreciate SH3 more, but since I only have the first two to compare it to... it really falls short.

What I disliked alot (I didn't want to make a whole thread just to complain, especially when I absolutely love parts of the game...) was how static (for lack of a better term) the non-otherworld environments felt, and how over the top most of the otherworlds were. Like in the shopping centre, I just found it mind numbingly boring in the 'regular' world, then the change to the otherworld was pretty cool but they just tried way too hard to unnerve me. After playing the first 3 or so chapters of SH3, I stopped and went back to SH2 which I had already beaten a few times at that point. I had last saved around the Prison area, and the difference in how effective the atmosphere was from 2 to 3 was abundantly obvious after playing one after the other like that. I'm rambling but anyway, I immediately noticed just how alive the prison felt, without throwing a gazillion freakish monsters at you or anything it was just so much more effective.

I absolutely adore the church otherworld part of Silent Hill 3, and I really liked the office and hospital otherworlds too. The slurpers genuinely unnerved me and I really dreaded them (The pendulums etc. I just found annoying and kinda tuned out the sound without much effort...) but I definitely found the first two games way scarier overall. I also thought the Missionary/Scrapers in SH3 were awesome enemies, they reminded me of one of the Cenobites from Hellraiser :D The Leonard boss fight at the end of the hospital was cool too... The purple worm thing looked more like a Mario boss than Silent Hill... I'm rather conflicted as you can tell. I'll shut up now.
SPRINGS02

Post by SPRINGS02 »

^Yeah i agree fatal frame is scary as hell i've heard the first one is the scariest one despite being rated t for teen but i never beat it, i only beat the 3rd one.
supperhater
Just Passing Through

Post by supperhater »

Also the dramatic music when Heather is in the bathroom in the mall, that was just retarded and made the whole game (momentarily) feel like a joke. Oooh a major chord, oh no.
Juno Sunderland
Just Passing Through

Post by Juno Sunderland »

SH3 was the first Silent Hill that I had ever played, and I certainly consider to be very good, but 2 will always be much more scary to me.

3 Definitely has it's merits, to be sure, though. As has already been stated, the Church was excellent. I really like the Amusement Park as well, all those bloodied Robbie Rabbits and squishy dead meat... things, were freaky as hell. Of course, none of those hold a candle to those damn carousel horses D: Plus I adored the element of Heather fighting 'herself' in that area, and the music that accompanies it.
Per Ardua Ad Sanguine
valiturus

Post by valiturus »

The first time I played this game, it was definitely the scariest game of all time, but now that I'm used to it, I've experienced much worse; i.e - Fatal Frame. There's something about ghosts that freak me out.
simeonalo

Post by simeonalo »

Fatal Frame II=Scariest Game of all time.
SPRINGS02

Post by SPRINGS02 »

Actually I heard the first fatal frame was the scariest one despite it being rated T for teen and the other ones being M for mature. I've played all the fatal frames and i've only beaten the third one. They're all scary as hell, I look at it like this the scariest game ever is either silent hill 3, or fatal frame. Honestly i'm not sure which one I find creepier. Silent Hill 3 has the most disturbing and unsettling atmosphere, and sounds in a video game IMO. But fatal frame has the ability to make you extremely tense and nervous about going anywhere in the game. I love em' both.

Oh yeah simeonalo why does it say you're a girl now?