SH3 takes place...(spoilers!)

Heather finds out why it's true that you shouldn't talk to strangers. Or look in mirrors, quite honestly.

Moderator: Moderators

valiturus

SH3 takes place...(spoilers!)

Post by valiturus »

I am going through another play-through and I noticed a few things that may or may not suggest that SH3 takes place BEFORE SH2.

1.) Along the side of Nathan Avenue, when you're running towards the Amusement Park, you see a billboard for Lakeview Hotel. Now, as far as I remember, the hotel had burned down before the events of Silent Hill 2, which would suggest that 3 took place before 2. And James had delusions that the hotel was still in-tact, so why would Heather need to do the same?

2.) In Brookhaven, in the special treatment room, you can look up and see that the ceiling is in-tact, which suggests that James hadn't fallen through it yet when knocked off the roof by Pyramid Head. I thought maybe that it was repaired, but that doesn't seem likely in the decrepit town.

Anyway, if these make sense, I'd like to see if anyone else agrees. If I'm missing something or if this has been cleared up, forgive me and fill me in. Thanks.
simeonalo
Historical Society Historian

Post by simeonalo »

Silent Hill is built "customized" to each person (lol The Sims), and I'm sure that these things were just overlooked by the developing team.

I could be wrong, though. I like this theory :)
The Adversary
RESPECT

Post by The Adversary »

>you see a billboard for Lakeview Hotel.
The same billboard is in Silent Hill 2.

>you can look up and see that the ceiling is in-tact
Damage is repaired.

>that doesn't seem likely in the decrepit town.
. . . and the town isn't abandoned.

There are technological advancements between the Brookhaven Hospital of Silent Hill 2 and Silent Hill 3. So, clearly the third game occurs after the second.
This post is the property of its author and is not to be used elsewhere without explicit permission from the author.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.
valiturus

Post by valiturus »

MMY wrote:>you see a billboard for Lakeview Hotel.
The same billboard is in Silent Hill 2.

Yes, I realize that, which is why I asked why Heather would need to dream up the hotel if it had been burned down? Why would the sign still be there? It's only in 2 because James still believes it still exists.

>you can look up and see that the ceiling is in-tact
Damage is repaired.

Possible, but the town is clearly abandoned in 3.

>that doesn't seem likely in the decrepit town.
. . . and the town isn't abandoned.

See above.

There are technological advancements between the Brookhaven Hospital of Silent Hill 2 and Silent Hill 3. So, clearly the third game occurs after the second.
Could you please explain what "technological advances" there are? I'd really like to explore this theory further.
rm2kking
Historical Society Historian

Post by rm2kking »

The town is not abandoned. Not in 3, not in any game. The Otherworld merely appears as an abandoned version of the town.

And to add to the discussion: Douglas mentions that he'd once been in Silent Hill on a missing persons case, which could allude to James and/or Mary. Although, it might not; one would expect people to go missing in a place like Silent Hill.
The Adversary
RESPECT

Post by The Adversary »

>why Heather would need to dream up the hotel if it had been burned down?
Heather doesn't "dream up the hotel." The hotel always exists.

>Possible, but the town is clearly abandoned in 3.
No it's not. If the town is abandoned in Silent Hill 3, it's been abandoned since before Silent Hill—which, of course, is not the case. So, no.

>Could you please explain what "technological advances" there are?
a) computers
b) security cameras
This post is the property of its author and is not to be used elsewhere without explicit permission from the author.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.
valiturus

Post by valiturus »

I guess that's the great part about Silent Hill; you learn more and more every day. Thanks to all who cleared that up for me. It was interesting to filter through the possibilities though.