Puzzles

Heather finds out why it's true that you shouldn't talk to strangers. Or look in mirrors, quite honestly.

Moderator: Moderators

Cyrus
Just Passing Through

Puzzles

Post by Cyrus »

Dunno if anyone already pointed this out already, I looked at the pinned topic and used the search function and found nothing.

Basically, does anyone realize that the majority of the puzzles in this game are assocciated with the "out-of-reach" theme?

For example:
PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER_SHOW PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER:
The key taken with tongs.
The ladder that has to be pulled down with the hanger.
The number combination behind the shelf in the hospital.
The fetus within Heather's body.
etc.
Could this symbolise something else as well?
Kerrigan
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Kerrigan »

lol at the last one, I'm not sure if that one fits as well as the others! But you could also say...
Using the chain to connect two things that're out of reach.

It's a nice observation; the idea could be intentional. Considering the "I wish I could get a hold of Dad" comment and "You're Not Here" being the main theme, it wouldn't surprise me if that were an intended motif in the puzzles as well.

Nice catch!
valiturus

Post by valiturus »

Very nice observation there. I never looked at it that way before! It does have some subtle symbolism, if not blatant. It could also symbolize the fact that Heather is out of control of her fate; i.e - her identity, past, etc.
Violent Corpse
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Violent Corpse »

Cyrus, you sir are a genius!
LeriSuccubus
Just Passing Through

Re: Puzzles

Post by LeriSuccubus »

Cyrus wrote:Basically, does anyone realize that the majority of the puzzles in this game are assocciated with the "out-of-reach" theme?
not just puzzles, but I remember in one of the buildings during an Otherworld part that there were some (can't remember what they're called but they try to crawl up your skirt) monsters behind a grating that can't reach you to (kill?) you
Cyrus
Just Passing Through

Post by Cyrus »

I did notice a few more on another playthrough
The train door opening, it happens to be the one furthest away from Heather.
The creature at the ground floor of the alternate office buildings, Heather cannot reach the door behind it.
simeonalo
Historical Society Historian

Post by simeonalo »

Very interesting. I imagine it symbolizing part of her birthing God, and how hard and 'out of reach' it is to go home/go back to Harry.
dsagent
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by dsagent »

Actually these all seems like normal video game solutions to me.
The meaning of all life, the universe, and the answer to all questions is:
Like I would tell You! MUHAHAHAhahaha!!!!!
The Adversary
RESPECT

Post by The Adversary »

Exactly. If the key wasn't out of reach, it wouldn't lead to much of a puzzle; if Heather was taller and could reach the ladder, there'd be no reason to explore.

Harry and James have to do a lot of reaching, too. What does that symbolize?
This post is the property of its author and is not to be used elsewhere without explicit permission from the author.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.
Cyrus
Just Passing Through

Post by Cyrus »

Well, James' puzzles mostly consists of opening things such as:
Opening the clock.
Opening the safe.
The coin puzzle.
Opening the fridge in the hospital.
Opening the handcuffed gate in the labyrinth.
Opening the can of light bulbs.
Heather's are more like "I can see something, I know something is there, but I just can't seem to reach it yet."
The Adversary
RESPECT

Post by The Adversary »

Yet Laura kicks a key out of reach; he has to reach into a hole in an apartment wall for a key; he has to use a piece of hair to reach a key from a shower drain.

This game can be played all day w/ each Silent Hill game. There's no significance to it outside of a general way to initiate exploration and gameplay.
This post is the property of its author and is not to be used elsewhere without explicit permission from the author.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.
Cyrus
Just Passing Through

Post by Cyrus »

The Adversary wrote:Yet Laura kicks a key out of reach; he has to reach into a hole in an apartment wall for a key; he has to use a piece of hair to reach a key from a shower drain.

This game can be played all day w/ each Silent Hill game. There's no significance to it outside of a general way to initiate exploration and gameplay.
Well, the fact that the theme is a minor thing in SH2 also symbolizes how James could no get close to Mary. Whereas the theme being a major thing in SH3 shows how Heather does not fully understand and get close to her true self.

Although, the point I'm trying to make between these games is to show that the puzzles were intended to be made that way, sure there are other games with symbolic puzzles, but I'm merely pointing the ones out in Silent Hill 3 since no one mentioned it before.
QuestionSleepZz
Gravedigger

Post by QuestionSleepZz »

Theres also that room that Heather can't get to in the hilltop center, the one with the wheelchair, and she can't get to it because there's glass or something in the way, She comments on it too, I just wish I could remember what she says. :/
KiramidHead

Post by KiramidHead »

I believe she says something to the effect that the world on the other side is calling her.
QuestionSleepZz
Gravedigger

Post by QuestionSleepZz »

Oh I guess I wasn't as off base as I thought :)
Another "out of reach" example? :)
KiramidHead

Post by KiramidHead »

^It's more like Heather is out of reach than the wheel chair, but I guess you could make the argument.