Burning Cigarette

Heather finds out why it's true that you shouldn't talk to strangers. Or look in mirrors, quite honestly.

Moderator: Moderators

LeriSuccubus
Just Passing Through

Burning Cigarette

Post by LeriSuccubus »

What's the significance other than Heather use to smoke? I know Douglas does, but is there another reason for it being there than just for the matches? I always thought it was creepy.
ashatteredmemory
Gravedigger

Post by ashatteredmemory »

i don't think there's that much after it, its just a very good way to add a bit of background info to the character. it is quite scary though
"Grown-ups tell kids there's no such thing as monsters, that the Bogeyman is just make-believe, and there's nothing hiding under their beds, but that's a lie. Because I've seen 'em." - Murphy Pendleton
valiturus

Post by valiturus »

ashatteredmemory wrote:i don't think there's that much after it, its just a very good way to add a bit of background info to the character. it is quite scary though
It's interesting, yes, but scary?
Mephisto
Historical Society Historian

Post by Mephisto »

Guess we should ask pretty much everyone about why he/she started smoking. :roll:
alone in the town

Post by alone in the town »

The cigarette is a metaphor for life's slow and inexorable end, the days burning away steadily and slowly, as a lit cigarette will do. It also represents corruption, the physical variety caused by smoking's ill effects, and the corrupt environment of the [otherside].
Mephisto

Post by Mephisto »

I think it doesn't mean anything, kinda like that Freud quote. Forgot which one.

And I think people find hidden symbolism in things that doesn't have any, seriously.
alone in the town

Definitely.
SPRINGS02
Location: i'm sick of these monkey fighting snakes on this monday to friday plane.

Post by SPRINGS02 »

Agreed.
Axel_98
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Axel_98 »

I agree with that, but after SH2 and all of its "symbolism" people try to find symbolism in every SH game.
~The Bird of Hermes is My Name; Eating My Wings to Make Me Tame~
NightlyOne
Just Passing Through

Post by NightlyOne »

Axel_98 wrote:I agree with that, but after SH2 and all of its "symbolism" people try to find symbolism in every SH game.
Well, the truth of the matter is that every SH game is chock-full of different kinds of symbolism. Even SH1 had its own elements of symbolism, but the symbolism aspect didn't really come into major play until SH2, especially given how "psychologically" based the game is.

But you are correct regarding the fact that people do end up overextending the symbolism to some degree.
SHF

Post by SHF »

since she says she quit smoking when shes sees the cig burning, i thought it meant when she used to. kinda like a past memory. after all, itb appears in the otherworld hospital right?
[img]http://i1226.photobucket.com/albums/ee419/silentfog/signature.jpg[/img]
simeonalo

Post by simeonalo »

I always thought it was a subtle reference to Alessa's immolation ritual.
alone in the town

I thought precisely the same about the flamethrower.
Number 7
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by Number 7 »

Mephisto wrote:I think it doesn't mean anything, kinda like that Freud quote. Forgot which one.
You mean, "Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar"?

Kind of appropriate.
"He's underground now. His new name is Number Seven."
The Wanderer
Just Passing Through

Post by The Wanderer »

helldescent wrote:since she says she quit smoking when shes sees the cig burning, i thought it meant when she used to. kinda like a past memory. after all, itb appears in the otherworld hospital right?
I think it appears in the Otherworld Hilltop Center.

I don't think it means much, other than to give us background on the character.
SHF

Post by SHF »

exactly so. heather used to smoke. binga-banga
[img]http://i1226.photobucket.com/albums/ee419/silentfog/signature.jpg[/img]
Holy One
Just Passing Through

Post by Holy One »

Mephisto wrote:I think it doesn't mean anything, kinda like that Freud quote. Forgot which one.

And I think people find hidden symbolism in things that doesn't have any, seriously.
"Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar." I'm thinking along these lines myself. Although, who knows...if it was just a minor issue from her past, I wonder why the game would bring it up. The cigarette just waiting for her in the ashtray, looking as if it was lit the second before Heather walked in, was one of the most effective parts of that level for me.

If I really wanted to stretch things, perhaps the "Memory of Alessa" put it there as an omen of her later intentions. Or rather, it came from Heather's subconscious entirely...
THREAD QUESTION: "Does anyone want to date Heather?"
PARTYHARD: "Well, she carries a fuckton of emotional baggage, she's her own mother, used to be a suicidal girl who opened the gates of Hell in a town and would kill people with her brain, she's 31 in a teenage body, she can go on a relentless rampage if you piss her off enough... sure, don't see why not."