Easy Way to Destroy Closers (On Harder Modes with the Knife)

Heather finds out why it's true that you shouldn't talk to strangers. Or look in mirrors, quite honestly.

Moderator: Moderators

simeonalo
Historical Society Historian

Easy Way to Destroy Closers (On Harder Modes with the Knife)

Post by simeonalo »

A little tactic I developed for my friend Rebecca, who was having trouble on a knife-only run on Hard Mode.

What you basically want to do is approach the Closer monster slowly from the back, and repeatedly slash the back/legs as fast as you can. As soon as you see it swing, back away (or side step), or you can just move a little bit if it does the 'punching' thing. I find it easier to stab the monster as soon as it hits, as it makes it go back into its own 'pause' mode that most monsters do when you hit them. Anyways, here's a video:

ALSO: This is a very simple strategy, and I'm not sure if it will help you that much, but it really helped me as well as my friend. This was also done at Hard mode, and I don't know why it didn't do the swinging thing at me. I believe that the A.I. on the PC version is bad, I'll try later with my PS2 version.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vrCUJrNfwKA
Kerrigan
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Kerrigan »

The A.I. is the same.

That tactic has been around for a while, though. It's pretty much lifted from the earlier Resident Evil games where you'd bait the enemy to attack, avoid it, position yourself, attack, and repeat. Though in the Silent Hill games you generally want to attack monsters from the side.

The Closer didn't do the swinging arm attack because you're playing in the Nightmare scenario, evidenced by the weapons in your inventory. They'll only do that attack after Heather

PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER_SHOW PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER:
arrives in the town of Silent Hill.

But anyway! You did the tactic better than most people; most people do the knife-thrusting attack (holding X) instead of the 3-hit-combo attack because it attacks more quickly, but the 3-hit-combo attack can do a maximum of 200 damage while the thrusting attack tops in at 60.
simeonalo

Post by simeonalo »

Yes, that's what my friend was doing, and I recommended the 3 hit combo tactic.
Brodie
Just Passing Through

Post by Brodie »

I'v killed closer with knife on the hardest mode there is :P
Death is not the end my Friend
Kenji

Post by Kenji »

Yeah, the knife's really the best for Closers. In the mall, the knife will make you untouchable, provided there are no dogs around.

Oh, incidentally, the best thing to do for dogs is shoot them in the open mouth while they're jumping for you. It'll knock 'em down instantly and you can kick 'em 'til they get back up and you repeat the process. Problems come with multiple dogs, but then you just concentrate on bringing 'em all down and maybe running.

Anyway, I never did have an effective tactic for Brookhaven and beyond, when they do that cheap swinging attack that hurts way more than it looks like it should. I suppose there's some visual cue that I'm missing in my bloodlust that tells me when to back off.
Kerrigan
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Kerrigan »

As soon as Heather arrives in Silent Hill the only melee weapons you should be using are the Stun Gun and the Katana, haha. The Katana doesn't have the ability to instantly drop an enemy, but it does have piercing attack, which is great for the small rooms with hordes of nurses.

But anyway, if you're going to attempt to get close to a Closer after it gains the ability to instantly repel Heather, you can trick it into engaging in the lengthy "forward thrust" attacking animation and hit it from the Stun Gun at the side (of course, while backing up afterward); repeat until it drops and switch to the Katana to attack it while it's on the ground since it provides the most damage at the quickest rate.

Alternatively, you can perform the same tactic with the Bulletproof Vest equipped, only you let it swing its arms and then you "block+attack" while the Stun Gun is equipped. The problem here is that if it doesn't drop instantly then you're screwed; the idea is to get hit without taking any damage at all.

And...always remember to perform the "forward thrust" attack with the Katana if the enemy is upright (more damage/faster) and instead of stomping the enemy, perform the "overhead swing" if it's down.
Uyrikeustek
My Bestsellers Clerk

Re: Easy Way to Destroy Closers (On Harder Modes with the Kn

Post by Uyrikeustek »

I wouldn't even bother with the knife, as I thought that since it sucked against pretty much every other monster, it would be impossible to beat a closer with it. But this is actually a really good idea after reading it all. Thanks for the advice.
"What can be asserted without proof can be dismissed without proof." ~ Christopher Hitchens R.I.P.