[Evidence] Vincent was not joking on the monster thing...

Heather finds out why it's true that you shouldn't talk to strangers. Or look in mirrors, quite honestly.

Moderator: Moderators

Soulless-Shadow
Subway Guard

Re: [Evidence] Vincent was not joking on the monster thing..

Post by Soulless-Shadow »

silentmumbler wrote:Order members aren't the only humans known to be seen as monsters. In SH1, the puppet nurses and doctors were simply humans being controlled by the same thing used against Cybil. Also, Lisa mentions that the people in town were still there, and that she was just like them. This means any humanoid creature could feasibly be a normal human transformed by the Otherworld.
Lisa never refers to the townspeople when saying she's "just like them". While she does say something along the lines of being like "them", she doesn't actually say who is still around. Most likely though, she's simply referring to the other hospital staff. Not only are they the only human-like monsters encountered in the game (excluding bosses, of course), but we also meet Lisa in the same area as the puppet nurses and puppet doctors.
silentmumbler
Just Passing Through

Post by silentmumbler »

Soulless-Shadow wrote:
silentmumbler wrote:Order members aren't the only humans known to be seen as monsters. In SH1, the puppet nurses and doctors were simply humans being controlled by the same thing used against Cybil. Also, Lisa mentions that the people in town were still there, and that she was just like them. This means any humanoid creature could feasibly be a normal human transformed by the Otherworld.
Lisa never refers to the townspeople when saying she's "just like them". While she does say something along the lines of being like "them", she doesn't actually say who is still around. Most likely though, she's simply referring to the other hospital staff. Not only are they the only human-like monsters encountered in the game (excluding bosses, of course), but we also meet Lisa in the same area as the puppet nurses and puppet doctors.
I'm perfectly fine with accepting everything you said about Lisa, but the puppet nurses/doctors aren't the only humanoid creatures. The romper also has a strongly humanoid appearance. However, I can see why people would say the romper is not actually a human since it, unlike the scrapers and the missionary, does not act like one.
AuraTwilight
Historical Society Historian

Post by AuraTwilight »

Also, the monster specifically symbolizes Alessa's fear of adults...which becomes subverted in significance if they are literally grown-ups.
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
Soulless-Shadow
Subway Guard

Post by Soulless-Shadow »

silentmumbler wrote: I'm perfectly fine with accepting everything you said about Lisa, but the puppet nurses/doctors aren't the only humanoid creatures. The romper also has a strongly humanoid appearance. However, I can see why people would say the romper is not actually a human since it, unlike the scrapers and the missionary, does not act like one.
Rompers are symbolic of Alessa's fear of adults, so they were never actually people. Just like with many of the monsters, they're just mindless creatures that were created from her subconscious.
JuriDawn
SHH Cult Subscriber
SHH Cult Subscriber

Post by JuriDawn »

silentmumbler wrote:I'm perfectly fine with accepting everything you said about Lisa, but the puppet nurses/doctors aren't the only humanoid creatures. The romper also has a strongly humanoid appearance. However, I can see why people would say the romper is not actually a human since it, unlike the scrapers and the missionary, does not act like one.
Regardless, Lisa refuses to leave the hospital, so the only monsters she can comment on are the parasitized doctors and nurses.
Mercedes
Just Passing Through

Post by Mercedes »

I was reading this thread through yesterday, and I noticed that while people mentioned Angela's head being in the opening (which I never noticed), I was surprised that no one brought up that the model of the woman being mauled/attacked/killed, looked similar to Angela's model. We know that the game isn't unused to reusing character models, intentionally or unintentionally (like "James'" dead body in front of the TV in the apartments).
I was wondering whether, if using "Angela's" model in that scene was some kind of reference to what happened to Angela as a girl. Ito stated that the model was supposed to be a different character, but they just used her model. So I do doubt whether it was intended to reference that, but to me, it does look it. Especially combined with the way that the Closer is attacking her, violently mauling her.
In general, I doubt that every single monster Heather ran around killing was actually a person in the normal world.
Forget it. This is way too gross. Who would even think of doing something so disgusting?
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

Angela never got her face eaten.
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
Mercedes
Just Passing Through

Post by Mercedes »

I'm aware of that. I was referring to the rape.
Forget it. This is way too gross. Who would even think of doing something so disgusting?
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

...Yea, so? How does getting your face eaten reference rape?
The Adversary
RESPECT

Post by The Adversary »

Mustache rides?
This post is the property of its author and is not to be used elsewhere without explicit permission from the author.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.
Mercedes
Just Passing Through

Post by Mercedes »

Wow.
What I had in mind was the stance of the Closer over the woman's body. I also said that I doubted it referenced it in the slightest, but it just reminded me of that, especially because the model had obvious similarities to Angela's. It depends on the individual as to what they think it may or may not look like.
Glenn
Gravedigger

Post by Glenn »

I did not like it when Vincent made that "killing people" comment. I can see it as a way to confuse the player, because I feel that was what Vincent's job was. I never knew if Vincent was good or bad. First impressions of him were in the otherworld office area, and he spooked me out. Then you find him in your freakin hotel room! But towards the end of the game it seemed like Vincent was alright.

I think people on here saying how he might be referring to the missionary and Leonard as people and not all the monsters is correct. But then again, it might just be Vincent being Vincent. He was a wise-ass.
Dr. Robotnik
Just Passing Through

Post by Dr. Robotnik »

Yes Vincent, they do look like monsters to me. If they're actually not, it only means I'm hallucinating and can't be held responsible for my actions. Not that I would give a shit even if they were, since I kill people in video games all the time. And trying to guilt me won't take away from the fact that you're an ass.

I really hate when works of fiction pull these kind of stunts on the viewer. It does lend some interesting ambiguity to the actual story, but that's it.
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

I'm pretty sure the point of that scene wasn't to pull a stunt on the viewer, but to demonstrate that not everyone in Silent Hill says the same thing AND to demonstrate that Heather's still an emotionally balanced person who cares about other people. Both of which are important.
Dr. Robotnik
Just Passing Through

Post by Dr. Robotnik »

When I originally read the "They look like monsters to you?" line out of context, I thought it implied the reverse of what's commonly assumed; that to Vincent, the monsters look like, say, angels or beautiful creatures rather than hideous abominations. He seems quite fond of the Otherworld when he first encounters Heather in the office building; I wonder if everything Heather sees as hellish Vincent sees as heavenly.

But, the rest of the dialogue in that scene makes that interpretation seem unlikely.
Talolili
Just Passing Through

Post by Talolili »

Dr. Robotnik wrote:When I originally read the "They look like monsters to you?" line out of context, I thought it implied the reverse of what's commonly assumed; that to Vincent, the monsters look like, say, angels or beautiful creatures rather than hideous abominations. He seems quite fond of the Otherworld when he first encounters Heather in the office building; I wonder if everything Heather sees as hellish Vincent sees as heavenly.

But, the rest of the dialogue in that scene makes that interpretation seem unlikely.
In the church level, Vincent did mention that the surroundings were "atrocious" to him as well. When you first meet him though, he seems very comfortable in his little office.
"What the hell?" Henry Townsend
JuriDawn
SHH Cult Subscriber
SHH Cult Subscriber

Post by JuriDawn »

I was under the impression that Vincent saw monsters as well, but he was more intrigued than horrified by them; which makes sense given that they are probably not attacking them, he has some understanding of why they're there, and he's kind of a psycho in his own way.
Jonipoon
Subway Guard

Post by Jonipoon »

Perhaps Vincent is just fond of the monsters, but not the surroundings. That's why he so blantantly tells Claudia that about his dislike for her "paradise".
I EAT GALAXIES FOR BREAKFAST.
chounokoe
Just Passing Through

Post by chounokoe »

Working myself through SH3 again I found an interesting similarity to the scene with Vincent at another point in the game, the Borley Haunted Mansion. "Anyway, I'm lying. It's all just a joke. I wanted to scare you, that's all. The truth is only one person died, by suicide." Throughout the plot situations often call the supposed truth into question. Is Claudias paradise real or is it just "nightmarish dillusion come to life"? Is Heather Alessa or Cheryl, a combination of both or maybe something entirely different?

I still believe that there is some truth to what Vincent told her, but we are purposely left in the dark about how much exactly.
Dr-G0nz0
Just Passing Through

Post by Dr-G0nz0 »

chounokoe wrote:Working myself through SH3 again I found an interesting similarity to the scene with Vincent at another point in the game, the Borley Haunted Mansion. "Anyway, I'm lying. It's all just a joke. I wanted to scare you, that's all. The truth is only one person died, by suicide." Throughout the plot situations often call the supposed truth into question. Is Claudias paradise real or is it just "nightmarish dillusion come to life"? Is Heather Alessa or Cheryl, a combination of both or maybe something entirely different?

I still believe that there is some truth to what Vincent told her, but we are purposely left in the dark about how much exactly.
A reaccuring problem with all the Silent Hill games; they are left moot for you to think for yourself... and for forums such as this. lol Half the game is spent thinking as much as playing, that's why its so great. haha

I really like what you pointed out there, I never noticed it.
"Oh, you think darkness is your ally. You merely adopted the dark; I was born in it, moulded by it. I didn't see the light until I was already a man, by then it was nothing to me but BLINDING! " -Bane