What does this say?

Heather finds out why it's true that you shouldn't talk to strangers. Or look in mirrors, quite honestly.

Moderator: Moderators

seagull
Just Passing Through

What does this say?

Post by seagull »

http://img52.imageshack.us/img52/2049/dsc00997ea.jpg

Saw it near Jack's Inn, against a metal door.
From what I can make out it's something like "Entrance for carrying in / don't put the thing / xxxxx are not."
I thought it was nothing at first, but it's written so colloquially I wonder if there isn't something in it.
Plus, I couldn't make it out, so it irritated me.

Also, hi.
paladin181
Subway Guard

Re: What does this say?

Post by paladin181 »

Well, it's obviously denoting a service entrance for deliveries only, written in some of the finest engrish I've ever seen. At least it's discernible as to the door's purpose.
=====================================================
|.My Avatar is larger than yours because I'm a cult subscriber.|
Uyrikeustek
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Uyrikeustek »

Does it really matter? Not trying to be rude, but I don't think the creators wanted the player to be concerned what stores say, especially since most of us (well, me at least) just like to run to the hospital and then quickly to the inn.
"What can be asserted without proof can be dismissed without proof." ~ Christopher Hitchens R.I.P.
seagull
Just Passing Through

Post by seagull »

Uyrikeustek wrote:Does it really matter? Not trying to be rude, but I don't think the creators wanted the player to be concerned what stores say, especially since most of us (well, me at least) just like to run to the hospital and then quickly to the inn.
You're right, detail is almost completely pointless in a game.
They should have just made it like an A>B maze game with spooky music. That'd have been much better.
Ulrike Meinhof
Just Passing Through

Post by Ulrike Meinhof »

I don't know - you could be on to something. I think it's not unknown for shop headings to be in-jokes put in by the development team. It makes me smile for some reason - nice pic. :wink:

I thought Silent Hill was pretty much Japlish free, to be honest. The last two words may discernably be 'are hot'. I'll have to check my memory saves to see if I'm anywhere near Jack's Inn.
seagull
Just Passing Through

Post by seagull »

Certainly Silent Hill 3 was translated almost immaculately, to the extent that the colloquialisms still surprise me. The models are a different story, however, especially the stuff that was re-used from SH2, which I suspect this was. There's still the "WELLCOME" models near the bathroom when you start SH2, and don't let's forget the big "INFOMATION" signboard in Brookhaven.
It's just so uncommon for public writing to use contractions - let alone something spray-painted onto a metal door - that it made me think it was something the devs put in as a joke. If anyone has the PC version they might be able to inspect it. I'd love to see what it was meant to read.
paladin181
Subway Guard

Post by paladin181 »

I'd suggest PMing Nur_Ein_Tier. Or checking her(?) site, which is in her(?) signature.
|.My Avatar is larger than yours because I'm a cult subscriber.|
MariaRising
Gravedigger

Post by MariaRising »

Hmmmm, never seen this before... I will have to remember to check it out next time I play :)
Kerrigan
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Kerrigan »

"AN ENTRANCE FOR CARRYING IN
DON'T PUT THE THING
WHICH RELATIONS ARE NOT"

But nothing beats this...

Last edited by Kerrigan on 21 Aug 2010, edited 1 time in total.
B5160-R
Historical Society Historian

Post by B5160-R »

^ How classy.
[ Un-Space Exploration - UE photo blog ]
seagull
Just Passing Through

Post by seagull »

I am in awe.
Valiturus
Just Passing Through

Post by Valiturus »

Uyrikeustek wrote:Does it really matter? Not trying to be rude, but I don't think the creators wanted the player to be concerned what stores say, especially since most of us (well, me at least) just like to run to the hospital and then quickly to the inn.
Then again, you should consider that there are a lot of cryptic things in the SH games that Konami wanted us to decipher for ourselves; to explore and investigate.
Quiet stairway. Rusted elevator. Darkness. White dress. Joy.
Ulrike Meinhof
Just Passing Through

Post by Ulrike Meinhof »

Nice find Kerigan. :D

It almost reads like a haiku...
nur_ein_tier
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by nur_ein_tier »

I've been beat to it but here's the texture anyway:

I think the details were meant to be looked at, I mean, Silent Hill has a lot more detail than so many other games when it comes to things like signs and storefronts. I don't think this one is terribly important, but still..
ImageImage
Camhacks & stuff: SH1 | SH2 | SH3 | SH4 | SHSM | FaceBook | YouTube