Lack of ammunition?

Heather finds out why it's true that you shouldn't talk to strangers. Or look in mirrors, quite honestly.

Moderator: Moderators

harisnikolop
Just Passing Through

Lack of ammunition?

Post by harisnikolop »

I recently started replaying all the SH titles and 3 has VERY little ammunition compared to the others.I ve been using a guide,hunting down every single item and ive just finished Leonard and i am out of shotgun shells and only 20 handgun bullets.

I am playing on normal and i didnt used bullet adjust.This is nothing compared to 1 and 2 which provided you with a lot of ammunition,in normal difficulty at least.

Note that i am not acting as Rambo.I play normally, avoiding monsters and stuff occasionally,just like any other SH title.
astral
My Bestsellers Clerk

Re: Lack of ammunition?

Post by astral »

That's what the melee weapons are for and I personally like little ammunition. It makes it feel like you're more vulnerable, unlike Resident Evil where you'll die if you don't have any bullets.
I believe, I believe, I believe
Kenji
Historical Society Historian

Post by Kenji »

I pretty much ran out of ammo in Brookhaven, on Hard mode.

Could be because there's less ammo, or because there's more monsters. Either way, yeah, I felt the squeeze pretty badly for the last two areas.
Uyrikeustek
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Uyrikeustek »

There are so many other weapons besides the guns, so I'm guessing that's what the creators are going for. Especially after the loads of ammunition in Silent Hill 2. I got way too much and I didn't even use half of it lol.
"What can be asserted without proof can be dismissed without proof." ~ Christopher Hitchens R.I.P.
Kerrigan
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Kerrigan »

The supply replenishing system is pretty interesting in Silent Hill 3; it tends to give you more of what you need, although it tends to be used up quickly if you're on 1x mode. Though, on the contrary, sometimes it's best to use up a little bit of something you're never going to use so you can pick up more supplies in the future.

In your predicament—well, melee weapons are always better, anyway. Even if you don't agree with that, the final areas of the game are pretty forgiving when it comes to goodies.

This guide is pretty detailed and interesting when it comes to the pickups.
Sam Pilgrim
Just Passing Through

Post by Sam Pilgrim »

I prefer the katana to guns. I save the bullets for tough enemies (aka Insane Cancers) or bosses, except for
PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER_SHOW PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER:
memory of Alessa, I killed her with the katana
The secret of fifty-two is that the multiverse still exists
Goodnight

Post by Goodnight »

I never found there was a lack of ammo for anything other than the SMG. Then again, I think I used melee weapons more often in this game than in others.
harisnikolop
Just Passing Through

Post by harisnikolop »

How the hell do you kill slurpers with melee weapons?
alone in the town

Post by alone in the town »

By hitting them very hard until they stop living.
Goodnight

Post by Goodnight »

I second the above.

Honestly, they're not that tough. I deliver some hard katana justice and it works nicely. I always hate killing them, they're kind of adorable with their little booty shorts.
Kenji

Post by Kenji »

Also, Slurpers are easy to sneak past... as long as you don't step on them and there isn't anything else (i.e. nurses) in the room.
Kerrigan
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Kerrigan »

The Katana is okay for taking out Slurpers, but the Maul works the best. You'd be surprised.

The iron sphere + the handle tend to strike it at once, which causes more damage. It has very good reach so they can't do their sneak attacks since you won't be too close—the Katana works well against any other enemy, though. The Maul is specifically reserved for the biggest assholes in the game: Pendulums and Slurpers.
Arthemesic

Post by Arthemesic »

On the first run-through I did on Normal, I didn't find one single mag for the SMG.
Upon replaying on Normal (& Riddles on Hard, they were totally over my head), I found three mags overall.
Two on the roof of Brookhaven, one in the basement. That's not much, but it'll probably be enough to defeat the god.
Victory Of The Soul, Triumph Over Ordeal
crucifix

Post by crucifix »

Arthemesic wrote:On the first run-through I did on Normal, I didn't find one single mag for the SMG.
Upon replaying on Normal (& Riddles on Hard, they were totally over my head), I found three mags overall.
Two on the roof of Brookhaven, one in the basement. That's not much, but it'll probably be enough to defeat the god.
the SMG is a terrible weapon for the final boss, actually. the handgun is much better, though people are inclined not to use it because they think it's weaker. not true, because the boss moves in patterns based on how often you shoot it.
no longer active. thanks for the memories.
Kenji

Post by Kenji »

The handgun is also much better than the shotgun, which doesn't have the range to make it worth using against a melee weapon.
Apatheria
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Apatheria »

I rather liked the relative lack of ammunition. 1 & 2 had ammunition all over the place, and it made for little in the way of challenges. Silent Hill 3 amped the intensity by not only having less ammo all over the place, but by having monsters that need more hits to be taken down, and they frequently attack in groups. I enjoyed the difficulty after cruising through 1 & 2's normal modes.
Arthemesic

Post by Arthemesic »

crucifix wrote:the SMG is a terrible weapon for the final boss, actually. the handgun is much better, though people are inclined not to use it because they think it's weaker. not true, because the boss moves in patterns based on how often you shoot it.
I've developed a great pattern for a flawless victory, worked well, although I'm not perfect.
The shotgun was quite effective, I think.
Victory Of The Soul, Triumph Over Ordeal
Doctor Eggnog
Subway Guard

Post by Doctor Eggnog »

Yeah, SH3 on Normal is almost like SH1 and SH2 on Hard sometimes, and then there are all those Extreme difficulties. SH3 really limited the amount of supplies compared to previous games. It might be partly due to there being no outside levels, where there were quite a few supplies in the first and especially the second game.
Socially Awkward Penguin is my hero.
leftshoe18
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by leftshoe18 »

I typically use the melee weapons in the Silent Hill games so I rarely have problems with ammo.
Harrys_Girl

Post by Harrys_Girl »

SH3 was the game in which I used the least amount of ammo, unless on EXTREME HARD levels. I am up to HARDX6 and it is easy to run out of ammo if not careful, but all it takes is a little strategy and it is no biggie. Even during my first play through and during playthroughs were I was going for the UFO ending and went out of my way to kill as many enemies as possible, I never ran out of ammo.

On top of that, SH3 is has the largest array of weapons that don't take ammo: USMG, Flame Thrower, Heather/Sexy Beam.

It also, IMO had the best melee weapons of all the games: Maul, Katana, silver and gold pipes! Ok, there was nothing that impressive about the pipes other than the idea of using a solid gold/silver pipe to destroy enemies.