Unlimited SMG Question along with Saber

Heather finds out why it's true that you shouldn't talk to strangers. Or look in mirrors, quite honestly.

Moderator: Moderators

Zeraylph
Just Passing Through

Unlimited SMG Question along with Saber

Post by Zeraylph »

Will I get a lower ranking like in Silent Hill?
If I use the special weapons like Unlimited SMG and Beam Saber? Or heather beam in that case? :|
Jirachi!!!! Make a Wish!
Kerrigan
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Re: Unlimited SMG Question along with Saber

Post by Kerrigan »

Yes.

You can use the Flamethrower, though, as long as you don't attack with it.
Whenever you "ready" the weapon (hold R2), it emits a flame. This flame will cause damage to monsters whenever it is out.

Although it's not particularly useful when it isn't upgraded, it's useful for Doubleheads whenever they launch themselves at you. When they come in contact with Heather blocking with the Flamethrower, they meet the flame and the Flamethrower block sends them straight to the ground.

When it is upgraded, however, you can just run up to monsters and constantly press R2 and kill them as quickly as the Beam Saber could. Unfortunately, you need to achieve a ten star ranking in order for the Flamethrower (and Beam Saber) to be upgraded to the next level.

As long as you don't actually press the attack button, it doesn't count as "using an extra weapon" and therefore no stars are deducted from the final rank. :) Hope this helps.
Zeraylph
Just Passing Through

Post by Zeraylph »

Thanks for the tip! Guess I better unlock that flamethrower eventually :)

Also another question. In the event someday I'm able to get a ten star ranking.
Is it possible for the beam saber/flamethrower to degrade if I get a bad rank next playthrough?
Jirachi!!!! Make a Wish!
Kerrigan
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Kerrigan »

Unfortunately, that's exactly what happens. The best thing to do is to create a save file (using one of your two allotted saves) before the final boss on the file that is capable of achieving a perfect rank.
Zeraylph
Just Passing Through

Post by Zeraylph »

Thanks! will keep this in mind.

That is evil, Konami. VERY EVIL
Jirachi!!!! Make a Wish!
Uyrikeustek
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Uyrikeustek »

Konami dropped the ball.
"What can be asserted without proof can be dismissed without proof." ~ Christopher Hitchens R.I.P.
Loonwolf
Just Passing Through

Post by Loonwolf »

Is it the same for the gold and silver pipes, and the gun silencer? Apparently these expensive pipes offer no extra bonus, and using the silencer actually lowers the effectiveness of the guns. But do you still get a lower rating by using either? If so, that seems a bit unfair. I went through the game not using any special weapons. But I think I was using the silencer and also swung one of the pipes without hitting anything. And at the end I was penalised for using special weapons. Which one of these actions was the cause, or was it both?
"In the end it's only round and round, and round."

LOOnwOlf
Kerrigan
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Kerrigan »

You can wield any of the special weapons—including the Flamethrower, Beam saber, Unlimited submachine gun, Gold and Silver Pipes, even enter the "battle ready" stance with the Heather and Sexy Beam.

As long as you don't actually attack with them, you are not penalized.

The silencer is not considered an "extra". You may use it whenever you want, and you may equip it to the handgun or submachine gun. While it does drop the attack power by a marginal amount, it is very useful in not alarming Slurpers to your location. Some find the silencer to be very useful when used in the cramped, Slurper-packed hallways of the Hilltop Center and Brookhaven Hospital.
Loonwolf
Just Passing Through

Post by Loonwolf »

Right, so it was merely the action of swinging the pipe that caused me the problem then! Respect the pipes, stash them away, they are Heather's treasure.
"In the end it's only round and round, and round."

LOOnwOlf