Photograph [SPOILERS]

Heather finds out why it's true that you shouldn't talk to strangers. Or look in mirrors, quite honestly.

Moderator: Moderators

Kerrigan
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Photograph [SPOILERS]

Post by Kerrigan »

A lot of people are probably aware of the "Photograph" item that was omitted from the final version of Silent Hill 3. Though you cannot obtain it in the game, its data remains.
Photograph

It's of Dad and me at Christmas.
Looking at this makes me want
to try even harder.

I have to...I can't lose. They killed
my dad and they have to pay for it.

Of course, it would have been picked up at Daisy Villa. In Heather's inventory, it is located in the "equipable" and "usable" region of the "items" section.

I believe there may have been some animations connected to the item. If you're using a model viewer with frames of animation enabled, check out the 800's of Heather's animation frames—she picks something out of her pocket, stares at it in her hand, and then puts it back. After that, she appears to be shot, though that's most likely an entirely different animation unfolding (but it's strange because the "attacked" animation frames come in a little later).

For those who would like to see:

However, after Heather acquires the Talisman from Leonard, she holds it in the cutscene in a way that is very similar to the one depicted above. But, you're not able to toggle through the cutscene frames and animations in the model viewer.

Given Heather's comment and the nature of the "Possessed" ending, could having Heather stare at the photograph have led to some battle modifier that upped the odds to achieve that ending?

I'm also thinking that in lieu of the photograph, the "Extreme" modes could have been added. Because it would have left the player vulnerable to attacks in order to initiate the animation, it could've been deemed clumsy and was therefore removed; though I don't particularly buy that one.

Anyway, with the photograph gone and the only other real major "Possessed" ending gateway being in the confessional, the "Extreme" modes could have been added because if you're casually playing, you're more than likely going to end up with the "Possessed" ending in whatever mode you're playing on...though I'm still not sure why that would lead to the photograph being removed from the game.

I'm trying to write up an article for my upcoming Silent Hill 3 site and I'd love to hear any input relevant to this subject—cheers!

AuraTwilight
Historical Society Historian

Re: Photograph [SPOILERS]

Post by AuraTwilight »

This is totally awesome, thank you for sharing this. It makes me imagine that instead of some vague "oooh random demonic possession" thing, Heather's love for Harry has been twisted into nothing but a motive to kill, kill, kill, and it consumed her entire personality.
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
leftshoe18
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by leftshoe18 »

Very cool find. I was unfamiliar with the photograph or the animation.
SilentWren

Post by SilentWren »

That's a head scratcher.

When you mention the "appears to be shot" animation, is there a bullet wound? Or does she just jerk suddenly?
Also, I'm having trouble finding this, but is the aglaophotis locket in the equipable files as well? Don't think it would be.

It's safe to assume this was supposed to be a picture you pick up in the apartment after Harry dies. Agree with that.
I would imagine that (if it had something to do with an ending) it would have something to do with the good ending, because the wording is very hopeful and self motivational. "I'm doing this for daddy! I gotta get through this!" sort of thing. (No arguing intended)
It would impart a more emotional response on the player than just looking at it like other items. Seeing Heather's response in game has more impact than just examining it in the inventory screen.
As far as the endings go, this factoring is a little out of place, too. Confusing.

It's strange that it's translated. I don't remember hearing about this being in the other versions. Idk, that's all I've got.
The above user visits this forum *very infrequently.* If you need any type of response or answer from her, she may or may not be able to provide it in a timely manner.

Thank you for understanding. <3

http://silenthillforum.com/viewtopic.ph ... 28#p674128
MariaRising
Gravedigger

Post by MariaRising »

I had never heard of any of this, thanks for posting this :)
nur_ein_tier
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by nur_ein_tier »

Fabulous/

Yes, it would be picked up in Daisy Villa. I have the texture from the room here:
http://alchemillahospital.net/silent-hi ... sed-photo/

It is a small thing in the corner, but shows that it'd be picked up in that room.

Regarding looking at it, maybe it's like James with th Mary photo and has some ending influence, yeah.
ImageImage
Camhacks & stuff: SH1 | SH2 | SH3 | SH4 | SHSM | FaceBook | YouTube
Harrys_Girl

Post by Harrys_Girl »

That is such a sad cropped together photo. No wonder they took it out.
PIE!!!
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by PIE!!! »

Lol, yeah it looks like they just took Harry's old model from SH1 and pasted it there. He doesn't even look like he's aged. :lol:
Wolfwood: Oh yeah, I almost forgot. "Go with the grace and protection of the Lord." It's the usual mantra for the big hero.
Vash the Stampede: Does it work?
Wolfwood: That depends entirely on you.
Vash the Stampede: Some mantra...

-Trigun
Harrys_Girl

Post by Harrys_Girl »

It IS the same pic. I'd be willing to bet my left boob all they did was take that pic from SH1 and the "Holy one Kill her?" photo from the shopping center and just mashed them together. There is literally nothing that makes it look real and it doesn't even look like it would emote ANYTHING let alone Heather to remember the good ol' times.
Soulless-Shadow
Subway Guard

Post by Soulless-Shadow »

^It would've been pretty good if they'd actually gone to the trouble of making a decent photo rather than this half-arsed copy/paste Franken-photo. It could've added so much more to the game.
PIE!!!
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by PIE!!! »

Strangely, they actually took the time to make sure Harry looked aged by the details on his corpse, even though in the cutscene with Heather mourning over his death you never directly see his face..

You can see some added wrinkles. I think there are little bit of gray hairs there, too. This was used with a level/model viewer program btw.
Wolfwood: Oh yeah, I almost forgot. "Go with the grace and protection of the Lord." It's the usual mantra for the big hero.
Vash the Stampede: Does it work?
Wolfwood: That depends entirely on you.
Vash the Stampede: Some mantra...

-Trigun