One thing SH3 does that separates from other horror games.

Heather finds out why it's true that you shouldn't talk to strangers. Or look in mirrors, quite honestly.

Moderator: Moderators

DeSilva
My Bestsellers Clerk

Re: One thing SH3 does that separates from other horror game

Post by DeSilva »

Good point, that's what slowed me down and got me looking around, getting Heather to investigate anything in particular. I wouldn't mid more of them, if they can keep the dialogue in line with the characters attitude/characteristics.
Goodbye Silent HIll!
(Please Mr. Admin, banish me)
Dr-G0nz0
Just Passing Through

Post by Dr-G0nz0 »

DeSilva wrote:Good point, that's what slowed me down and got me looking around, getting Heather to investigate anything in particular. I wouldn't mid more of them, if they can keep the dialogue in line with the characters attitude/characteristics.

Exactly, it just makes the characters just that little bit more charismatic. And it definitely makes Heather shine out of the other protagonists in the other games.
"Oh, you think darkness is your ally. You merely adopted the dark; I was born in it, moulded by it. I didn't see the light until I was already a man, by then it was nothing to me but BLINDING! " -Bane
nothingbut3%
Just Passing Through

Post by nothingbut3% »

Yeah and makes the searching for items part of the game way more bearable and not so monotonous as the other games. It was definitely a good choice for the game creators to work more on Heather's subtitles when looking at stuff.
You can learn little things about her too, like you guys prolly pointed out. Like that she used to smoke. She was a bad grrrrl.

This thread I measure feels just as good as any to write this in, but I also wanted to mention I feel the only thing I was disappointed by in this game was the abrupt ending, with not much a sense of completion. I know it doesn't have to be all YAAY happily ever after crap, but the ending scene was just so short, and they really didn't show what was going to happen to Heather; whether if she kills Douglas or not. I actually tried to get the Possessed ending but failed, because I didn't realize at the time you had to get hit by the monsters as much as possible: which gives you more 'points'?
Doctor Eggnog
Subway Guard

Post by Doctor Eggnog »

^ I was disappointed by the ending, as well as the general pacing of the game. It just kinda shoves a bunch of scenes at once upon you in the middle of the game after not that much in the first half. Admittedly it makes the second half of the game a great roller coaster ride, but too much info is forced upon you in the final level I feel like, and then the ending is short, abrupt, and very annoying. The game's bad pacing is an obstacle to get over every time I play it.
Socially Awkward Penguin is my hero.
clips
Woodside Apartments Janitor

Post by clips »

I agree...the ending could've and should've been waaay better especially since this was the game that was connected to the one that started it all....a full fledged ending should've been created to wrap up Heather's storyline....unless they plan on going back to her story sometime in the future....with her having her own kids or something (i really hope they don't)....i feel that the Alessa/Heather storyline is done and could've ended way better than it did.
Doctor Eggnog
Subway Guard

Post by Doctor Eggnog »

^ SH3 was originally gonna be the last game in the series, so it's surprising they didn't care more about wrapping it up better. I try my best to think of the scene before the final boss as the "ending".
Dr-G0nz0
Just Passing Through

Post by Dr-G0nz0 »

Doctor Eggnog wrote:^ SH3 was originally gonna be the last game in the series, so it's surprising they didn't care more about wrapping it up better. I try my best to think of the scene before the final boss as the "ending".

Really? I didn't know that. I knew that SH4 wasn't orginally meant to be a SH4 title, but I didn't know that they were going to end it there. And your right, I'd be quite upset if the entire series ended like that. lol

I also found the ending to 3 to be abit abrupt. A shame too, because I thought the pacing from the game overall was brilliant in this game.
"Oh, you think darkness is your ally. You merely adopted the dark; I was born in it, moulded by it. I didn't see the light until I was already a man, by then it was nothing to me but BLINDING! " -Bane
nothingbut3%
Just Passing Through

Post by nothingbut3% »

I like the pacing too. Contrary to what Doctor Eggnog was saying, I thought the disorienting kind of way the game would jostle you between moments of insanity and quiet loneliness was really captivating.
I do really love the image in the second to last cut-scene of Heather in the darkness, turning around to face you with that look of despair on her face with the melancholic music. It really has a cinematic feel. But the part with her and Douglas, and just...ending, was totally lame. I wish maybe they had created another final movie after that one, because I do appreciate putting a sense of humor into the game, but it's just like ehhh "Heather, what's going to happen now?" AHHHH "just kidding." over.
jeremyjh
Just Passing Through

Post by jeremyjh »

Dr-G0nz0 wrote:We've all played many different types of horror game, (I assume :P) so it should be no suprise to know how the horror game works.

One thing I noticed on SH3, and not with any other horror game, including the SH series itself, is the thoughts that go threw the protagonists head.
Allow me to explain: when you walk up to an item or a piece of the scenery that has caught your eye, you walk over to it, press the action button, and abit of text will come up at the bottom of the screen. Obviously this is the characters thoughts being read out to you. And to be fair, whenever it does, it's always straight down to the point, and all abit boring. What I absolutely loved about Heathers character, was that she wasn't one of these. Whenever you walked up to something she always put abit of her persona to the text. Like when you read a painting for example, she'll say "it's a painting", but she'll then put her 2 cent into the mix and say if she hates how it looks.

I think more horror games should look at this more, because it makes reading the text a hell of alot more interesting. I also find it weird how SH 4 onward haven't carried it on.
I love this post and I agree with you 100% the game actually added the characters thoughts making it more easy to understand that she is not an adult soldier she is nearly an irresponsible child. (in my book)
http://www.youtube.com/user/jeremyjh13? ... BjX2Y0gNrc- Survival Horror Game Library
Doctor Eggnog
Subway Guard

Post by Doctor Eggnog »

^ That's true, and I did kinda appreciate it, but in SH1 Harry missed half his shots and in SH3 Heather could shoot a dog from ten feet way through thick fog and hit every time. Now that I think back on it, I never felt like I was playing as a 17 year old girl during SH3, maybe because she seemed better equipped for combat than the older men of the first two.
jeremyjh
Just Passing Through

Post by jeremyjh »

impocalypse wrote:Re: Amusement park. I think that was the best set in any SH game to date. It was one of my favorite playing experiences of all time.
Mine has always been the SHSM amusement park and any hospital
http://www.youtube.com/user/jeremyjh13? ... BjX2Y0gNrc- Survival Horror Game Library
Dr-G0nz0
Just Passing Through

Post by Dr-G0nz0 »

Doctor Eggnog wrote:^ That's true, and I did kinda appreciate it, but in SH1 Harry missed half his shots and in SH3 Heather could shoot a dog from ten feet way through thick fog and hit every time. Now that I think back on it, I never felt like I was playing as a 17 year old girl during SH3, maybe because she seemed better equipped for combat than the older men of the first two.

haha You bring up a fair point there. But my defence on that is, she's the rebirth of Alessia, so she isn't just your average human. :P
leftshoe18
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by leftshoe18 »

I think the developers were just attempting to silence critics who felt the combat in the first two was lacking (even though they didn't do a lot with it). Also, Heather needed to be better at fighting because the enemies in SH3 were tougher than those in the first two games.
Dr-G0nz0
Just Passing Through

Post by Dr-G0nz0 »

^ Just because the enemies are tougher doesn't really make it an excuse for her be an awesome fighter. However I'm not defending this fact, as I sill remain firm she isn't your average human. lol
clips
Woodside Apartments Janitor

Post by clips »

leftshoe18 wrote:I think the developers were just attempting to silence critics who felt the combat in the first two was lacking (even though they didn't do a lot with it). Also, Heather needed to be better at fighting because the enemies in SH3 were tougher than those in the first two games.

I agree to a certain extent....Heather probably has some amazing powers, it's just that even when she finally figures out who she truly is, she still doesn't know how to trigger any of her powers....which is why i felt......SPOILER..............the seal of metatron didn't work when Vincent told her to use it....she didn't know how, whereas in the first game as alessa, she was placing the seal all over the town.
leftshoe18
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by leftshoe18 »

Dr-G0nz0 wrote:^ Just because the enemies are tougher doesn't really make it an excuse for her be an awesome fighter.
I'm not saying that it should be an excuse. I'm just saying they probably did it from a game design standpoint to limit frustration on players.
SilentWren
Historical Society Historian

Post by SilentWren »

Was Heather really THAT awesome of a fighter, though? I mean, she wasn't weak by any means, but she was exactly like the other protagonists up to that point-a "real person" with no exotic combat training. Now Alex on the other hand....I....wrong thread.
The above user visits this forum *very infrequently.* If you need any type of response or answer from her, she may or may not be able to provide it in a timely manner.

Thank you for understanding. <3

http://silenthillforum.com/viewtopic.ph ... 28#p674128
xyinparadise
Just Passing Through

Post by xyinparadise »

Heathers comments are always fun to read. made it worth it to look around for random stuff ^^
HA BISKY!!!
Nomad
Just Passing Through

Post by Nomad »

stopped_clock wrote:Unfortunately this kinda falls flat because all the characters in Obscure are annoying highschool dickbags.
Quoted for truth.
I'm personally not a fan of characters which you best described as teenage dickbags.

I think many horror games have unique settings of their own, which makes it difficult to compare creativity. Silent Hill included.
The uniqueness of the SH series is that instead of taking place in the dreaded real world, the setting is different for every person who experiences it.

Silent Hill's Otherworld is a different place for every character it is projected from. It reminds me of Inception.
It's the exploration of someone's subconscious come alive; with elements of the world reflecting/corresponding to elements of the character's history, fears, etc.

I'm not actually sure if that's true, but that's how I see it.

Also, how this differs from survival horror in the style of Resident Evil is that it scares the player in ways beyond lobbing freaky shit and shockingly loud sounds at their faces. Silend Hill series slowly tortures the mind, introducing and welcoming the player into the unpredictable world of fear they are about to experience. The fear factor's mostly in the horror environment, and the feeling of being alone in it.

Also, the enemies/monsters that inhabit the Otherworld have this unique soul-less, formless creepiness beyond my words. Even zombies feel more human.
Never stops moving

V wrote:Voilà! In view, a humble vaudevillian veteran, cast vicariously as both victim and villain by the vicissitudes of Fate. This visage, no mere veneer of vanity, is a vestige of the vox populi, now vacant, vanished. However, this valorous visitation of a by-gone vexation, stands vivified and has vowed to vanquish these venal and virulent vermin van-guarding vice and vouchsafing the violently vicious and voracious violation of volition.
Homie
Just Passing Through

Post by Homie »

nice thought.
!!! "Tribute to SILENT HILL" !!! Fansoundtrack OUT NOW!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fAqUCimHF1c