The Shifts In SH3

Heather finds out why it's true that you shouldn't talk to strangers. Or look in mirrors, quite honestly.

Moderator: Moderators

AngelValtiel
Just Passing Through

The Shifts In SH3

Post by AngelValtiel »

This is probably gonna sound ignorant but as we all know,
everytime a shift occurs in SH3, there's this disturbing woobly, high pitched sound heather hears in her head.
Who exactly is responsible for this? :shock:

The TGS trailer depicts it as if Valtiel was the cause of this strange noise but in the game it's not sure who it really is
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ujwqCs5n_Ok#t=3m44s

is it the fetus or Valtiel?

Fixed. It isn't a word to be used that way, refrain from doing so. -HG
leftshoe18
Rosewater Park Attendant

Re: The Shifts In SH3

Post by leftshoe18 »

I think it's just a sound caused by the shift itself and not by a certain entity.

Also, don't use "retarded" that way.
AngelValtiel
Just Passing Through

Post by AngelValtiel »

leftshoe18 wrote:I think it's just a sound caused by the shift itself and not by a certain entity.

Also, don't use "retarded" that way.

Sorry if you got offended.
Doctor Eggnog
Subway Guard

Post by Doctor Eggnog »

If it's a choice between the fetus and Valtiel, definently the fetus. The noise comes at the end of the conversation with Claudia, just before the first transition. I'm not saying the fetus is LITERALLY making that sound, but I think the developers used that sound to depict the little fetus god getting stronger and doing more to manipulate the world and show everyone, particularly Alessa (Heather) how it wants to "clense" and "burn" the world.

. . . Or something like that. I actually just now came up with that last part but it sounds interesting to me. SH1- Alessa's mind, SH2- James's mind, SH3- God's mind (that's kinda epic)
Socially Awkward Penguin is my hero.
mrnitsua
Just Passing Through

Post by mrnitsua »

Actully the camera angle shows Heather losing and regaining her touch with reality. The otherworld is another dimension, therefore it has it's own reality. The screech was the sound of the radio reacting. Oh and Sh3's otherworld is first influenced by claudia, but it slowly falls to alessa's mind.
The Otherworld, a place that sees no dawn, only dusk.
AngelValtiel
Just Passing Through

Post by AngelValtiel »

Doctor Eggnog wrote:If it's a choice between the fetus and Valtiel, definently the fetus. The noise comes at the end of the conversation with Claudia, just before the first transition. I'm not saying the fetus is LITERALLY making that sound, but I think the developers used that sound to depict the little fetus god getting stronger and doing more to manipulate the world and show everyone, particularly Alessa (Heather) how it wants to "clense" and "burn" the world.

. . . Or something like that. I actually just now came up with that last part but it sounds interesting to me. SH1- Alessa's mind, SH2- James's mind, SH3- God's mind (that's kinda epic)
They're the only two choices that make sense, Valtiel for it's weird head movements which coordinate with the sound and also his role as the dimension shifting being.
And the fetus which lives inside heather that could very well be the nature of this sound considering it's a fetus, it can also be it's cries, it does sound kinda babyish after all.
trai has cake
Just Passing Through

Post by trai has cake »

well wasn't it mentioned somewhere that Valtiel turns the valve. that's what i get from it. each shift is caused by him to influence the rage within Heather -> thus nutrience for god. the screech sound could simply be the sound of the valve being turned. then again I could be wrong.
AngelValtiel
Just Passing Through

Post by AngelValtiel »

trai has cake wrote:well wasn't it mentioned somewhere that Valtiel turns the valve. that's what i get from it. each shift is caused by him to influence the rage within Heather -> thus nutrience for god. the screech sound could simply be the sound of the valve being turned. then again I could be wrong.
This particular sound in the trailer is different though, it sounds more organic of some sorts.
I know you can also hear the valve but it sounds completely different.
The fetus must be responsible for this, but the game never really makes it clear.
mikefile
Gravedigger

Post by mikefile »

Wow. I never thought about it that way, like a sound of a fetus growing. It really amazes me the way every single detail, like this sound, has its meaning (although it is just speculation). The sound is very oftenly heard in the game, so it makes sense. It's not like a sound put in there randomly just to scare you shitless, it's the sound of the premature God.
Mr. E. Nygma
Just Passing Through

Post by Mr. E. Nygma »

I'm not sure but in Silent Hill 1, when it shifts sometimes Harry would grab his head in pain, I think it caused him to pass out at times.
I love the Silent Hill Series. The Games: Homecoming, Origins, and Shattered Memories, did nothing wrong whatsoever, they were developed well, and did things different. Just because they were not by Team Silent doesn't mean that they're bad games. I believe in this series. I Believe that one day, we can have a game that will make all Silent Hill fans Happy. I believe that Silent Hill Downpour can achieve this.
Team Silent may be gone, but their Series isn't. Instead... it's here, it's alive.
Doctor Eggnog
Subway Guard

Post by Doctor Eggnog »

^ I think that was to add to the eerieness of it all, to allow Harry to change locations, to usually not have to show the transformation, and to make him wonder if he was dreaming or going crazy.
Socially Awkward Penguin is my hero.
trai has cake
Just Passing Through

Post by trai has cake »

But then Harry did have somewhat of a connection to Allessa, Cheryl, Heather (whatever her name really is at that point) so it could also be foreshadowing his daughters own dilemmas. something along those lines. Besides, he did kind of kill God, so there is speculation that he had a strong connection to the entity before it even truly existed :/
AuraTwilight
Historical Society Historian

Post by AuraTwilight »

Well, no, his killing God is an implication that the thing wasn't all it was cracked up to be.
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
trai has cake
Just Passing Through

Post by trai has cake »

AuraTwilight wrote:Well, no, his killing God is an implication that the thing wasn't all it was cracked up to be.
touche