My SH3 Final Thoughts

Heather finds out why it's true that you shouldn't talk to strangers. Or look in mirrors, quite honestly.

Moderator: Moderators

harrymason3456
Just Passing Through

My SH3 Final Thoughts

Post by harrymason3456 »

I just Cleared SH3 for the first time so I thought I'd give my final thoughts.I was using the PC version of the game.I thought the game had great graphics,it is a very good sequel to the first game,combat was good and the puzzles were smart and hard.Overall a very good game but not as good as Silent Hill 4 and SH2.
I understand now,it's time to end this nightmare - James Sunderland
MariaRising
Gravedigger

Post by MariaRising »

Glad to hear that you finished it and thought it was pretty good! Personally, these were the thoughts I had after playing it for the first time as well! :D
Doctor Eggnog
Subway Guard

Re: My SH3 Final Thoughts

Post by Doctor Eggnog »

Good job. Now play it on Hard!

I liked the game a lot too, even though some things about it piss me off I still think it's better than any SH that came after. In some ways it was like Silent Hill 1 Extreme. Good soundtrack too. I've played this one 10 or 15 times and beaten it on Extreme.
Socially Awkward Penguin is my hero.
harrymason3456
Just Passing Through

Post by harrymason3456 »

@Doctor Eggnog How hard is extreme?
I understand now,it's time to end this nightmare - James Sunderland
Zeraylph
Just Passing Through

Post by Zeraylph »

On Extreme, 1-2 hits kill you I believe.
Also very low ammo you get from each box?

I also like the puzzles in Silent Hill 3. You just get and combine items.

Also to clear it up. Silent Hill 1 never had an extreme mode.
Hard Mode was as far as it goes in Next Fear.
Jirachi!!!! Make a Wish!
Harrys_Girl
Historical Society Historian

Post by Harrys_Girl »

^You don't get less ammo from each box, you just get fewer boxes. The same can be said of health items. Each Extreme Hard Level has fewer and fewer items in the game. Your stamina and life bar's lengths are also lower, so think, instead of having 100 like you do in easy, your max is 80 on X1, then 70 on X2, and so on. For your stamina, instead of being able to run 100 ft. before slowing down, it drops to 90 ft. Then 80ft. etc. Ampules are so much more beautiful because they effectively double your life and stamina bar for something like 20 sec.s They are wonderful for the final boss battle.

That being said, I'm still on Extreme Hard 6. One hit from a Double-Head knocks Heather on her ass and leaves her panting w/ near no health left.
Doctor Eggnog
Subway Guard

Post by Doctor Eggnog »

Whoops. I didn't mean like Silent Hill 1 Extreme MODE. I meant like SIlent Hill 3 is like Silent Hill 1 on steroids kinda.

Anyway, I didn't find SH3 Extreme much harder than Hard mode. It helps that once you beat Hard you get a health bar that lets you keep track of your health, makes you more careful about not making mistakes.
Harrys_Girl

Post by Harrys_Girl »

^Very true. And the fact that it is bright YELLOW and PURPLE made sure you couldn't miss it.

The biggest problem I have w/ the XHard games is that she can only run like 2 yd.s before she needs to stop. So the game sort of forces you fight enemies instead of running for you life, which isn't that bad but I just prefer to run more often than fight and save my ammo for boss fights that I cannot escape from.
SPRINGS02
Location: i'm sick of these monkey fighting snakes on this monday to friday plane.

Post by SPRINGS02 »

I've. . .never beaten silent hill 3 on any modes harder than normal. There i admitted it. I don't know something about silent hill games, i don't play them for challenge too much. I mostly play them for the creepy atmosphere and story.
mrnitsua
Just Passing Through

Post by mrnitsua »

It's my favorite. I honestly wish they stopped at 4 with team silent. It was a great sequel and left us with many questions, I'm glad I played it.
The Otherworld, a place that sees no dawn, only dusk.
alone in the town

Post by alone in the town »

I remember when everybody hated Silent Hill 4 because they changed so many things around. Years later, people realize that Team Silent made that piece of shit and that somehow magically makes it awesome.
SPRINGS02
Location: i'm sick of these monkey fighting snakes on this monday to friday plane.

Post by SPRINGS02 »

^Nah i don't think that's true at all. When i first played it i was certain it was made by a different group than team silent, but i still loved it it's my 3rd favorite. Hell metacritic rates silent hill 4 at 76 while they rate shattered memories at 79.
alone in the town

Post by alone in the town »

You weren't around here when the game came out. Everybody hated it. There were even announcements telling people to shut up about it already. Six years has been long enough for people to view it through nostalgia goggles (and/or, give it a second chance and find out that there's a good story wrapped around a shitty videogame).

The same has happened to the other games. Origins was a travesty and an insult to all that was good in the world (even I thought so), but though it'll probably never be accepted fully because of its effects on series canon and because it does have some seriously flawed gameplay mechanics (and an unplayable PS2 port), people are treating it more fairly these days (as do I). Homecoming is slowing beginning to emerge from the "everybody hates its guts" stage, and Shattered Memories was good enough to secure itself a segment of the population which loved it right away.

Hell, this sort of crap has been going on longer than that, too. Silent Hill 3 was reviled by many because of how it concluded events from the first game, and because it wasn't nearly as cerebral as Silent Hill 2. And even though Silent Hill 2 seems like it's almost untouchable, a lot of fans hated it at first because it was such a radical departure in tone from the first game and not nearly as scary. I've been around long enough to see it all. Trufax: the idea that Team Silent can do no wrong never existed while Team Silent was actually making games. It's a new, and very stupid, trend.

Very likely, Downpour will follow the trend. People will be upset about a lot of things and nitpick a hundred different aspects, Team Silent ballwashers will (and already do) automatically hate it regardless of its merits, and after a few years, people will recognize its good points and accept it, probably just in time to hate whatever new Silent Hill game comes next.
Yuki

Post by Yuki »

alone in the town wrote:You weren't around here when the game came out. Everybody hated it. There were even announcements telling people to shut up about it already. Six years has been long enough for people to view it through nostalgia goggles (and/or, give it a second chance and find out that there's a good story wrapped around a shitty videogame).

The same has happened to the other games. Origins was a travesty and an insult to all that was good in the world (even I thought so), but though it'll probably never be accepted fully because of its effects on series canon and because it does have some seriously flawed gameplay mechanics (and an unplayable PS2 port), people are treating it more fairly these days (as do I). Homecoming is slowing beginning to emerge from the "everybody hates its guts" stage, and Shattered Memories was good enough to secure itself a segment of the population which loved it right away.

Hell, this sort of crap has been going on longer than that, too. Silent Hill 3 was reviled by many because of how it concluded events from the first game, and because it wasn't nearly as cerebral as Silent Hill 2. And even though Silent Hill 2 seems like it's almost untouchable, a lot of fans hated it at first because it was such a radical departure in tone from the first game and not nearly as scary. I've been around long enough to see it all. Trufax: the idea that Team Silent can do no wrong never existed while Team Silent was actually making games. It's a new, and very stupid, trend.

Very likely, Downpour will follow the trend. People will be upset about a lot of things and nitpick a hundred different aspects, Team Silent ballwashers will (and already do) automatically hate it regardless of its merits, and after a few years, people will recognize its good points and accept it, probably just in time to hate whatever new Silent Hill game comes next.
And this is basically why I can't stand the SH fanbase at times, especially because people are so emphatic about their hate. It's always interesting to me when people see, say, Shattered Memories and say it's the worst game ever and a complete crock of shit, when people right next to them can love it.
Kenji

Post by Kenji »

It's kinda funny, the way this fanbase acts, because I'm pretty much the opposite. I'm typically an apologist for every Silent Hill game, when I first play it, even if my behavior (such as switching to the news while I'm playing) says I'm bored. It takes time and distance for me to iron out my "real" opinions of a game, though my analyses comes much quicker, these days.

Wanna know what I really think of Shattered Memories? Gimme three more years.

SH3 has aged really well, and it probably represents the apex of the franchise. Its production values are good, but its strong design is what gives the impression that, despite the series moving on to the PS3 and 360, it's still the best looking game in the series. Its story doesn't stand up to SH2's, but it gets the job done reasonably well. Its sound design was Yamaoka's last roundly excellent work. The gameplay was tight and challenging, but still offered a plethora of options and snap decisions for the player.

It didn't sell as well as SH2, in America or Japan, but I think part of that involves the things I've said in other threads. Horror gaming's "wow" factor was dissipating, and its strengths aren't in line with what most people want out of their entertainment. Also, sequels generally do more poorly than their predecessors: If the game's values didn't appeal to a sector of the market, better graphics and sound aren't going to make those values any more appealing.
Pleasant Sinner
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Pleasant Sinner »

SPRINGS02 wrote:I've. . .never beaten silent hill 3 on any modes harder than normal. There i admitted it. I don't know something about silent hill games, i don't play them for challenge too much. I mostly play them for the creepy atmosphere and story.
It's awesome to know that there are others with my perspective around these parts. In my opinion, horror games (unless RE games count) have never provoked me to go *hardcore* and make me self-competitive. Witnessing SH3's intense horror was enough already, and now here's a mode where it's "do or die?" I'll just keep it at a safe normal.
SPRINGS02

Post by SPRINGS02 »

alone in the town wrote:You weren't around here when the game came out. Everybody hated it. There were even announcements telling people to shut up about it already. Six years has been long enough for people to view it through nostalgia goggles (and/or, give it a second chance and find out that there's a good story wrapped around a shitty videogame).

Hmm i guess because i haven't been a part of the silent hill community for as long as some of you guys have i didn't really notice. It seemed like i would always hear people say something about sh4 being hated but i never actually saw it that much. Honestly i don't think that the hate for homecoming has died down really though. It's more like at first people were surprised by how crappy it was, but now people have just grown used to how bad it is.
Harrys_Girl

Post by Harrys_Girl »

alone in the town wrote:I remember when everybody hated Silent Hill 4 because they changed so many things around.

Those were the good ol' days. I was a noob... an obnoxious, 14 yr.s old n00b.

All the bitching starts to sound the same afterwhile, Springs. ;) Also, Y U NO PLY ON TEH HARDZ?! SH3 is the ONLY game in the SH series that I've played and beat on Hard. Hee... "beat on hard" But I agree. I was drawn to Silent Hill for the look, feel and world of the game, not because of how hard the game was. I actually think the easy combat was one of the only reasons I didn't ragequit 15 min.s in. SH was only the second game my 10 yr. old little hands picked up.
alone in the town wrote: and Shattered Memories was good enough to secure itself a segment of the population which loved it right away.
GioGio

Post by GioGio »

It's hard to choose which is the best SH game.
1 was brilliant
2nd damn what a great game and the third I loved
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v510/tzack/0212.jpg[/img]
It Doesn't Matter Who I am, I'm Here For You James.....See, I'm Real
Doctor Eggnog
Subway Guard

Post by Doctor Eggnog »

That was interesting, alone in the town.

SH2 is my favorite game of all time, but I didn't like it at first. I wasn't used to the newer graphics yet, and the slow non-enemies beginning was weird to me.

I really like SH3, but at first I LOATHED it possibly more than I have any other SH game. I liked the graphics but I thought everything else about it was terrible.

And SH4 I hated at first and now only dislike at worst. :)