My SH3 Final Thoughts

Heather finds out why it's true that you shouldn't talk to strangers. Or look in mirrors, quite honestly.

Moderator: Moderators

peronmls
Brookhaven Receptionist

Re: My SH3 Final Thoughts

Post by peronmls »

I play Silent Hill for the scariness and story.
SH1 had a good story and some scary parts in it that satisfied me a lot.
SH2 started out kinda slow and I couldn't quite figure out what was going on. It had this dull atmosphere the whole time. Everything seemed...gray. All the people he met didn't really have to do with the story which threw me off track. The monsters were also kinda slow and not really scary. They just moved like zombies beside the Mandarins. The music was great though! Story was good.
SH3 I though had every good storyline. It explained more about Silent Hill, the history about it and Heather. I didn't really understand what Douglas was trying to do. The monster were very creepy and scary. This is the kinda of creatures I would like to see is from SH3. The music was great to. The reason it doesn't sound like SH2 is because the game has a creepy and serious tone to it. It doesn't have a sad romance like SH2. SH3 was meant for discovery and pure horror with industrial music everywhere you turn.
SH4 was not bad but not too SH like. SH4 was more paranormal with candles, curses, and "ghosts". They didn't have much "monster". Some parts were creepy though and that was good to me. The story was not really getting anywhere. You just keep going to the same places. Not much to say about SH4. It wasn't bad.

Only thing weird about all of these games were the voice acting

My Rank:
SH3
SH4
SH1
SH2
Chris Redfield
Just Passing Through

Post by Chris Redfield »

GRAPHICS: 7/10 Yes. They are graphics from '03. But they have held up suprisingly well. The fact that SH3 is rendered in Real Time(compared to Resident Evil 0, also released in '03, which was not)was a plus in my book. Although some of the characters' facial expression did get slightly wonky from time to time. And the "Closer" enemy's death animation looked a little glitchy. But it will take more than that to bring down the game's polished glory...

GAMEPLAY: 8/10 It's what you'd expect from any older SH title. The only advantage it had over 0rigins, was the fact that you could hold the camera behind Heather while running for your life...

STORY: 8.5/10 Yes, the usual dark, depressing tale. It's what you'd expect(and want)out of an SH title. Heather, Douglas, Claudia, and Vincent were all actually quite believable. I did find a couple of faults though. Mostly with the voice acting. Most of it was decently clever, while there were a couple of parts that were downright corny. There were several times throught the story when I felt like jumping through the screen and giving Heather a big, reassuring hug. But, there were also a couple when I just wanted to punch her in the forehead. Claudia did get a little annoying with her "God this!" and "God that!" bullshit. Alll in all, it was a good story. Not the best there is, but still a good one...

MONSTERS: 10/10 Yes, this group of baddies was perhaps one of the most disturbing I've ever seen in a video game. Now from what I know, there supposed to be sick 'n twisted manifestations of either Heather's(or Alessa's?)fears/personal demons. But then Vincent came along with his whole "They look like monsters to you???" That's where the game really threw me for a loop. I was left with the impression that perhaps Heather had been killing normal people(as well as Order members)the entire time. But of course I heard other theroies as well. And plus that's one thing you gotta love about Silent Hill. It loves to send us on a "Mind-Fucking, Wild Goose Chase in search of the Truth in a town that has drifted so far from the shackles of reality. Intresting shit indeed...

OVERALL: 9.5/10 Good Grpahics, Good Story, A Loveable(yet, a tad annoying)Protagonist, Good Co-Protagonists, Same Old Gameplay. All in all, an intresting journey into the Macabre...
Last edited by Chris Redfield on 17 Nov 2011, edited 1 time in total.

Yep. Just another day in Silent Hill...
EmilietheStrange
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by EmilietheStrange »

I'm one of those who vastly enjoyed this game on my first play through. The only part I didn't like was the subway level.

I could go into detail about why I liked the game, but others have said pretty much everything I have to say, except for the fact that to me, this game has a lot of reply value that some of the other titles lack.

My list of favorite SH games goes as follows:

SH1 & SH3 (tie for first)
SH2
SH4
SH0
SHH
Chris Redfield
Just Passing Through

Post by Chris Redfield »

EmilietheStrange wrote:I'm one of those who vastly enjoyed this game on my first play through.
I'm with you on that one. Despite it's minor setbacks(what game doesen't have those?), I couldn't put it down. What I should've mentioned in my post above was that SH3 has that mistique about it. On my first run through 0rigins, I actually stopped playing that game, to play this one. I don't know what it was about 3. The weirdness, the sense of hopelessness Heather must have felt. The atmosphere. Or the feeling you get when traveling through Silent Hill. Walking those empty streets. Knowing that the place you're in is pure evil...

Yep. Just another day in Silent Hill...
TheForthcoming01
Just Passing Through

Post by TheForthcoming01 »

I just finished playing SH3 yesterday and it's a really good game to say the least.

Also Chris and HarryMason said it best about SH3 in some regards.
“I like video games, but they're really violent. I'd like to play a video game where you help the people who were shot in all the other games. It'd be called 'Really Busy Hospital.” ― Demetri Martin
Doctor Eggnog
Subway Guard

Post by Doctor Eggnog »

"I'm one of those who vastly enjoyed this game on my first play through."

It gave me a horrible first impression but by halfway through I was enthralled.

Gameplay: 7
Mixed reactions here. I hate how often it's easier to run than to fight. I didn't want an all out action game and I would've rather the combat been a bit more like the first two game, but since it wasn't and I actually do try to get into the combat in SH3 I would've liked maybe a bit more bullets and slightly faster enemies. The weapons were a little crazier than the first couple games. What I loved about the gameplay was the extras, all the extreme modes, the extra weapons and costumes, the health bar (which for some reason makes the game feel easier to me). The game definetly got more fun on replays. Hard and Extreme with X2 bullets is perfect level for me. A lot of the game's bonus points come from replay value.

Story: 8
Story had AWFUL pacing at the beginning. Some annoying and mysterious scenes early on, and then NOTHING during the subway and sewers, leaving you with gameplay that I don't think was very fun on the first playthrough. The first sign of hope is meeting Vincent, and then at the Apartment the story kicks into hyperdrive and makes the game very enthralling. Though the ending is bad, the game has a lot of great scenes. I love Vincent and like Heather and Claudia. The story definetly has plently of classic moments.

Graphics: 9
The series' best technical achivement, though I don't like the style as much as the first two games. What's neat is that once in a great while, the game will look almost like it has a cel shaded, graphic novel style.

Sound: 8
The game has a WONDERFUL soundtrack that oftentimes just isn't amazingly implemented into the game. Voice acting is sometimes great, sometimes kinda bad. Vincent's voice is perfect. Weapon and item sounds are pretty perfect, monster sounds aren't my favorite.

Overall: 8.6 or 8.7/10

At its best it's really really good, at its worst it's really really bad. I've played it a ton of times though and gotten a lot of fun out of it, and sometimes a great deal of emotion out of certain parts of the story.
Socially Awkward Penguin is my hero.