Search FAQ

Login | Register

All times are UTC [ DST ]

It is currently 20 Aug 2018

Post subject: Chrissie The Nurse: Evidence For Vincent's "Joke"?

Missing since: 21 Jul 2003
Notes left: 11978
Last seen at: Nova Scotia, Canada
So I'm replaying through Silent Hill 3 for the first time in, gosh, years, and I noticed something that even back in 2003 when I last played it bothered me.

In Brookhaven Hospital, in the Special Treatment Rooms, you see a memo talking about some doctor being a pervert and that Chrissie the nurse would have been better off being fired. In one of the special treatment rooms, there is a Nurse that attacks you.

It appears clear that this nurse ended up being imprisoned and presumably brutalized/raped, for whatever reason.

What am I getting at here, besides pointing out another very creepy facet of the series?

I think this has important implications not only for the case of whether or not the town in reality is still populated (that's a topic for another, er, topic), but also for Vincent's later "joke" to the horrified Heather in the Chapel.

"They look like monsters to you?"

Is Heather conjuring Chrissie due to reading this memo? Not necessarily, as there is a Nurse in there whether you read it or not.

I wonder if Heather, in reality, walked into that room and murdered Chrissie? Is Heather indeed walking around murdering actual people, as Vincent implies by later retracts? There seems to be a general consensus that the Scrapers are in fact human cult members transfigured either by Claudia's mojo, Heather's rage, or an interaction between the two, but something about this Chrissie thing nags at the back of my mind as significant.

What does everyone else think?

and said "There you are.
There you are.
There's my heart..."

RESPECT
 Post subject:

Missing since: 19 Jul 2003
Notes left: 19401
Last seen at: #lfk
That Valtiel's responsible for resurrecting these "monsters" & bringing them to the [otherside], in a manner of speaking.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.

Rosewater Park Attendant
 Post subject:

Missing since: 27 Aug 2005
Notes left: 1378
Last seen at: Philadelphia
I think it's much like the newspaper that Heather reads in the Subway and she's conjuring up what she reads, unaware of the fact that she's doing it.

If she was killing real people, I'd think that the police in the 'real' would would have shot her on sight after her murderous rampage through the mall, the subway and so on. :P

Post subject:

Perhaps she's a sort of walker between the worlds. Not entirely existing in reality anymore but still able to exert an influence on it.

Tommy, care to elaborate on your statement? Why would Valtiel find it necessary to manifest Chrissie in Brookhaven?

and said "There you are.
There you are.
There's my heart..."

RESPECT
 Post subject:

Missing since: 19 Jul 2003
Notes left: 19401
Last seen at: #lfk
Metempsychosis.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.

Post subject:

Ah. Clarity. Thanks. :D

I'm not entirely convinced, however, that there isn't something more regarding this named nurse that bears discussion.

and said "There you are.
There you are.
There's my heart..."

My Bestsellers Clerk
 Post subject:

Missing since: 01 May 2005
Notes left: 318
Last seen at: On a rusty Rollercoaster ride
I have no idea about chrissie.
I always said to myself that she was put there just before SH got abandoned, so she died.
and after that comes alive (like some kind of zombie :roll: )
Baaad I know, but this is what I always thought it was (well not always, but mostly in the beginning)

Historical Society Historian
 Post subject: Re: Chrissie The Nurse: Evidence For Vincent's "Joke&qu

Missing since: 15 Jul 2003
Notes left: 2368
Drewfus wrote:
Is Heather conjuring Chrissie due to reading this memo? Not necessarily, as there is a Nurse in there whether you read it or not.

You do have a point there. But I'm not exactly sure if 'you' reading it has anything to do with it.

As an analogy, when I play Silent Hill (the original) I did not 'save' in Alessa's room before I went to fight Incubus. Yet, in Silent Hill 3, clearly Harry made a memo there.

I generally think that we're supposed to assume Heather read every memo that is available in the game. For example, when you try to leave the underground oratory before you fight God, Heather will mention something that indicates she cares about Claudia. In this case, it makes more sense that she read Claudia's birthday card to remind her that she, as Alessa, loved her.

But yeah. I once believed that Christie might be a real person. Not that I'm saying I don't believe it anymore, though.

Post subject:

Missing since: 22 Jun 2006
Notes left: 1924
Last seen at: Katz Street
i think your supposed to assume the characters read every memo too.like in the re series,the characters will mention something from some memos even if you didnt read it.

Post subject:

Missing since: 15 Apr 2004
Notes left: 11052
Last seen at: In the anals of forum history
One must also assume that the memo may be no more 'real' than the nurse in the room.

Post subject:

Missing since: 22 Jun 2006
Notes left: 1924
Last seen at: Katz Street
alone in the town wrote:
One must also assume that the memo may be no more 'real' than the nurse in the room.

of course.its silent hill

Cafe5to2 Waitress
 Post subject:

Missing since: 15 Jul 2003
Notes left: 221
I have to admit that I jumped to the 'Heather is killing real people' idea the first time I reached that scene with Vincent. When I fully thought it through on my subsequent play-through, however, it seemed pretty clear that it was really getting at the particular manifestations of these forces we call 'monsters', for want of a better term. In other words, the forces which Silent Hill is populated with appear as reflections of the viewers attitude. Thus Vincent and Claudia, who regard them as agents of their savior, see them in pleasing, perhaps angelic forms. Sharon, on the other hand, wants nothing to do with them, and as such they appear as the frightening creatures we see.

When he says 'They' look like monsters, he means these forces or entities, not people.

Post subject:

Missing since: 15 Apr 2004
Notes left: 11052
Last seen at: In the anals of forum history
I took it to be a matter of interpretation, as Vincent alludes in their first meeting.

Heather: Doesn't this place get to you?
Vincent: Oh yes, I find it most fascinating.

I take his words to mean that he doesn't consider these things 'monsters' in the same way two people might see a pit bull and only one might call it a 'monster' while the other thinks it is a beautiful creature.

Post subject:

While I certainly agree that most of what we see in the games is not a relection of reality, Chrissie does seem oddly specific.

Then again, Silent Hill could be manifesting Chrissie the abused, captive nurse to try and remind Heather of Lisa, which it does indeed seem to do (a short time later, Heather remembers Lisa by name).

and said "There you are.
There you are.
There's my heart..."

SHH Cult Subscriber
SHH Cult Subscriber
 Post subject:

Missing since: 26 Oct 2006
Notes left: 921
Last seen at: Southern WI
To be honest, I don't think the events that take place in the Silent Hill that we are in have a correlation in the Silent Hill of "reality"--like you said, Heather murdering a monster equaling her more or less barging into a room in the "real" Silent Hill and murdering an innocent. That doesn't strike me as particularly plausible.

The matter of Chrissie definitely is interesting, though. Certainly she's more than another generic nurse patrolling the hallways of the hospital.

EDIT:

Then again, Silent Hill could be manifesting Chrissie the abused, captive nurse to try and remind Heather of Lisa,

Eh..Silent Hill doesn't really have a "conciousness," I don't think. It doesn't decide "Ah, I'll conjure up this abused, incarcerated nurse to remind Heather of an individual in her 'former' life."

Post subject:

I disagree. While I'm not saying the town has consciousness, it does alter itself to fit the purposes of what is occuring in it. Consider the conveniently placed roadblocks/chasms that force our characters to go to certain places, or hinder them from taking certain paths. The chasm on Nathan in SH2 is absent in SH3, because there is no reason to direct Heather through the Historical Society like there was for James.

and said "There you are.
There you are.
There's my heart..."

Just Passing Through
 Post subject:

Missing since: 17 Dec 2006
Notes left: 37
I wonder if Laura can see the monsters?....she is in that town all alone most of the time and she doesn`t have one scratch.......wtf?....is this for real?.....anyways, do you people remember in SH2 when James ask Laura:

James: what`s a lil girl like you doing in this town anyway?
Laura: eh? are you blind?

Does this mean that Laura sees the town in a "normal" way...with people instead of monsters?

Post subject:

I imagine Laura sees the town as completely empty.

and said "There you are.
There you are.
There's my heart..."

SHH Cult Subscriber
SHH Cult Subscriber
 Post subject:

Missing since: 26 Oct 2006
Notes left: 921
Last seen at: Southern WI
Good point. Still, doesn't that put the responsibility more on Heather's psyche rather than the town itself?

Post subject:

The town interacts with a person's psyche to accomplish what it needs to. Silent Hill 2 is the best example of this.

and said "There you are.
There you are.
There's my heart..."