Character study: Vincent.

Heather finds out why it's true that you shouldn't talk to strangers. Or look in mirrors, quite honestly.

Moderator: Moderators

Anonymous

Character study: Vincent.

Post by Anonymous »

I've seen a handful of people on the boards claim that they like Vincent for various reasons which just don't make sense to me. The descriptions 'diverse, unanticipated, and mischevious' stand out. I can understand Vincent fandom if you like creeps, but otherwise it looks like a misunderstanding of character to me. So I'm going to go over Vincent as I see him.

Where to begin? The first time you meet Vincent, he strikes Heather as untrustworthy. "There's something wrong with you too." Now, Heather isn't that wonderful a person herself, but why does she think this? From the beginning, Vincent's aim in talking to Heather is manipulation. Vincent wishes to put Heather to use for his own ends, not caring about whether she's in danger or not. Arguably, his cause is just; stop Claudia's plot and prevent the birth of god. Some would say that the end does not justify the means, but right off the bat his morality is in question.

Vincent's motions and expressions also display a long-practiced manipulative charisma. He will often smile disarmingly or gesture expansively, subtly indicating that the person he's talking to is his friend. This charade is dropped like a hot potato any time Vincent is caught off-guard, irritated, or angry.

What's his proffession? Psychologist. There are three reasons that people will enter into the medical field: To help their fellow man, money, and to abuse their power. I say that Vincent's purpose as a psychologist is the last reason. We can see in two instances why this is the case. When Vincent meets up with Claudia, he smiles broadly...with his teeth...and steps forward, telling her about the abuse he knows she went through. The same expression can be seen before and after Heather admits to killing monsters. He grins uncontrolllably and licks his exposed teeth, stepping forward. He seems pleased on both these occasions - Vincent likes to see cruelty and darkness in other people, he gets off on it. Therefore, he became a psychologist so that he might hear all the dirty little secrets of all his patients, basking in the knowledge of their sickness.
[Edit - As Adversary and Amphreded pointed out, Vincent is a priest of the Order, probably not a psychologist. However, the spirit of his position remains the same, through the mediums of preaching and confessionals, or whatever other powers his station accords him.]

The last indicator of his deplorable personality is his perception of Otherworld. Whether this is the case or not, everything in Otherworld appears to Vincent as a human being. "They look like monsters to you?" Vincent enjoys the prospect of cruelty, and thus the sight of suffering; his Otherworld is filled with suffering humans.

Vincent = Sicko.

One thing I'd like to ask of anyone who agrees with this assessment; Why does Vincent like seeing people suffer?
Last edited by Anonymous on 24 Feb 2006, edited 1 time in total.
The Adversary
RESPECT

Post by The Adversary »

What makes you think he's a psychologist? when he's a Priest for the Order. I imagine it's because of where he's first introduced, but I wouldn't say that's a clear indication of his day-job, necessarily.
This post is the property of its author and is not to be used elsewhere without explicit permission from the author.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Wow, I sort of assumed it because of his dress and surroundings. I'll look into it to make sure.

EDIT: You're right, there's no indication that Vincent is a psychologist anywhere. Theory modification time.
Last edited by Anonymous on 24 Feb 2006, edited 1 time in total.
amphreded
Historical Society Historian

Post by amphreded »

He is a priest like what the Adversary said. But again, I think his character really fits into a psychologist role.
[size=84][b]QUICKLINKS | [/size][size=75][url=http://silenthillforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=2362]SH1[/url] |[url=http://silenthillforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=2313]SH2[/url] |[url=http://silenthillforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=2327]SH3[/url] | [url=http://silenthillforum.com/viewtopic.php?p=43347#43347]SH4[/url] |[url=http://silenthillforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=17936]SH:H[/url] | [url=http://silenthillforum.com/viewtopic.php?p=391270#391270]SH:O[/url] |[url=http://silenthillforum.com/viewtopic.php?p=85043#85043]SHMovie[/url] |[url=http://silenthillforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=12563]SHGeneral[/url] |[url=http://silenthillforum.com/faq.php]FAQs[/url][/size][/b]
[size=84][color=grey][i]

[/size][/color][/i]
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

amphreded wrote:But again, I think his character really fits into a psychologist role.
Me too, his character just screams for that job. It fit so well that I thought it was the case without even considering it, really, given the place we meet him. I also thought that psychology was where he picked up all the cash that he gave to Claudia to build her church...so maybe he's a psychologist, maybe. But probably not.
In any case, psychologists and priests have similar positions, though one is secular and the other god-fearing. My theory is basically unchanged, and I still want to hear other's thoughts on his personality.
put_here_2_feel_joy
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by put_here_2_feel_joy »

I don't know why people like him so much either. Reading your statement really make his fans seem all the more worse, but I'm a fan myself.
His disposition is cocky, his swagger annoys me, and sometimes he scares me, but I still like him. He is a sicko, and somehow that provides sex appeal. Vincent is arrogant but all this adds up to who he is. Its just how he dresses, his personality.. Somehow it attracts girls.
Maybe, we like the danger that comes along with him?
[img]http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b1/Dredge_/sunsetcopy.jpg[/img]
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

I am unsure if he is a practicing psychologist, but I do believe he has a background in psychology. When he talks to the other characters for the most part I feel he is mentally probing them. I am a Vincent fan btw I think he has the best lines in the game.
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Vincent's apparently a passive sadist; you don't see him inflicting pain on others directly, but he loves to see it. He talks about "the pleasures of this world," and while that quote isn't made in the otherworld, he never says what his view of "pleasure" is. One thing I found interesting is that he gives conflicting opinions of the otherworld. When we first meet him, he says he finds it "most fascinating," but at the end he says "If this really is the work of God, I’d say she had lousy taste" and "I do admit this atrocious scenery is all yours." Either way, he's incredibly manipulative, doing everything for his own personal gain including using the church to make money.
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Feel Joy wrote:He is a sicko, and somehow that provides sex appeal. Maybe, we like the danger that comes along with him?
Wow, not me. I like quiet and shy people...although Vincent does have his charm. That's a viewpoint that I've heard often but never understood....being attracted by danger. Self-destructive tendency? If it was, you'd think I'd have it. :?

I think the 'atrocious scenery' Vincent belittles is the physical construction of the lower bits of the building itself, which I believe were built to reflect Claudia's Otherworld. Vincent's Otherworld would be different, obviously....but how, I couldn't say. Does he see a Paradise?
StinkBomber
Gravedigger

Post by StinkBomber »

One thing that strikes me is how he tries to persuade Claudia in the hotel room, at first being vicious, but then letting up and perhaps even showing some genuine concern as he tries to sway her from doing this thing.

After she states "You don't understand. None of you do!" You can see he realizes the only way to stop her now is by killing her. His last little attempt at being merciful.
www.stinkbomber.deviantart.com
alone in the town
Historical Society Historian

Post by alone in the town »

I don't think Vinnie is a psychologist. I think he does have serious need for one, though.
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

the Adversary wrote:What makes you think he's a psychologist? when he's a Priest for the Order. I imagine it's because of where he's first introduced, but I wouldn't say that's a clear indication of his day-job, necessarily.
Saying his only interest is in The Order because he is a priest of The Order is like saying my only interest is radio because I am a board op.

People know things outside of their profession. As I said earlier I don't think he is a practicing psychologist, but I do think he is college educated where I am all but positive he studied psychology. If that scenario is not the case then I am sure he read a crapload of books on psychology.

I think what sparks his interest in psychology is two things

1.) He is a manipulater so using psychology is a key skill
2.) What I reffer to as the Hacker personality. so he can get into tear apart and see how things work.

As I have already said when he talks to someone it seems as though he is probing them menatally. To find out what makes them tick.
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Yeah, a dabbler in psychology rather than a liscenced proffessional seems pretty likely.
...I'm about to poke some of the Vincent fans towards this thread.
AgentX7k
Hope House Careworker

Re: Character study: Vincent.

Post by AgentX7k »

Raithien wrote:The last indicator of his deplorable personality is his perception of Otherworld. Whether this is the case or not, everything in Otherworld appears to Vincent as a human being. "They look like monsters to you?" Vincent enjoys the prospect of cruelty, and thus the sight of suffering; his Otherworld is filled with suffering humans.
That is an EXCELLENT theory, I love it and it makes perfect sense. That 'they look like monsters to you' line is one of the biggest puzzles in the series. I was wondering 'are they people who look like monsters, iare Harry/James/Heather just going around killing people?'. But your theory makes sense, Eddie saw them as people, which didn't bother him because he enjoyed killing people who made fun of him, Angela sees her father and James sees monsters. Like when Angela screams "Daddy, please No!" you go into the room and see a huge monster, not Angela's father. So I guess Vincent would see them as humans since he wants too.
"The Body Is Cold?"
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Yeah, that's not quite as solid or well-developed as what Adversary thinks about the creatures. I believe that a large number of them are actual people or derivatives thereof, whereas she says that all but the Scrapers and some bosses are manefestations of Alessa, created to halt the birth of god.
The Adversary
RESPECT

Post by The Adversary »

>whereas she says that all but the Scrapers and some bosses are manefestations of Alessa
She...?

Humans transfigured by Claudia: Leonard, the Missionary, Scrapers.
Monsters manifested by Alessa: Closers, Slurpers, Pendulums, Insane Cancers, et cetera.
This post is the property of its author and is not to be used elsewhere without explicit permission from the author.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

I'm dead certain I read a post by yourself which claimed you were a girl, Adversary.
Maybe you were joking, I couldn't tell.

...anyway, yes. That's the idea. My take on transfigured humans versus percieved monsters is that if Heather kills humans without knowing they're humans, it's not really a terrible sin causing the inner strife which Claudia seeks to create. There might be other reasons I don't realize, or maybe Claudia just wants some cult members out of the way.

I think that, when you meet Angela, the doorman/bedman actually is her father. That's another topic entirely though.
The Adversary
RESPECT

Post by The Adversary »

>if Heather kills humans without knowing they're humans, it's not really a terrible sin
Well, she doesn't acknowledge them as humans because she doesn't that they are; if she knew that they really were, she wouldn't kill them. Look at the way she responds when Vincent asks her, They look like monsters to you? She's terrified. We know, from that & Claudia, that Heather is incapable of taking a human life, no matter how determined she pretends to be.

>maybe Claudia just wants some cult members out of the way.
I believe it's slightly different than that. Claudia is charasmatic. People may be scared of her powers, but they also look up to her & her devotion to the Faith. She has much suasion in The Order, and she's able to convince people to do as she asks. That said, the Scrapers, I believe, are just cultists that have been euchred by Claudia into dying for God; they're sacrifices, offering up their own life for the success of God's birth. They are dying at the blood-stained hands that shall lead them all to Glory. For them, they will be among God's Chosen.

>when you meet Angela, the doorman/bedman actually is her father.
Well, yeah. That's the case.

>I'm dead certain I read a post by yourself which claimed you were a girl
Yeah, I did, but I assumed people would've seen pics of The Donkey-Headed Bearded Advesary of Humanity already to know that wasn't the case.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.
setsuna_PT
Just Passing Through

Post by setsuna_PT »

put_here_2_feel_joy wrote:I don't know why people like him so much either. Reading your statement really make his fans seem all the more worse, but I'm a fan myself.
His disposition is cocky, his swagger annoys me, and sometimes he scares me, but I still like him. He is a sicko, and somehow that provides sex appeal. Vincent is arrogant but all this adds up to who he is. Its just how he dresses, his personality.. Somehow it attracts girls.
Maybe, we like the danger that comes along with him?
i make yours my words :oops: bad guys are also sexy and dangerous :p
[url=http://www.sloganizer.net/en/][img]http://www.sloganizer.net/en/style7,setsuna-unl-PT.png[/img][/url]
... kimi wa hikari... boku wa kage...
White Zombie
Just Passing Through

Post by White Zombie »

What I want know is if Vincent is so sick why stop the birth of god? I mean if he's so damn evil why be a part of the order and oppose it's goal?
Douglas: Where are you going?
Heather: I’m taking the subway home.
Douglas: What should I do?
Heather: Hell if I know.