Character study: Vincent.

Heather finds out why it's true that you shouldn't talk to strangers. Or look in mirrors, quite honestly.

Moderator: Moderators

AuraTwilight
Historical Society Historian

Post by AuraTwilight »

And all that implies for you schoolyard fanfic writers.
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
HeathersVincentFangirlBFF
Just Passing Through

Post by HeathersVincentFangirlBFF »

Vincent was born into the cult. He grew up with Alessa and Claudia.
No,I meant like,from the time after he left,but before he came back?Since the novel supposedly says he was like a really successful businessman?
Father Vincent <33333333333333
Pyramid Head<3333333333
Heather's mah BFF!!
LISA RULEZZZZZ!!!!!!!!!!!!
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

That doesn't mean he ever left.
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
neonblack
Hope House Careworker

Post by neonblack »

Burning Man wrote:According to the novel, Vincent majored in Mathematics, graduated top class from college when he was 12, was a businessman at Wall Street. Also, he apparently knows tarot.
That does, though.
"Blessed is the lion which becomes man when consumed by man; and cursed is the man whom the lion consumes, and the lion becomes man."
[size=84]The Gospel of Thomas, logion 7.[/size]
Just Passing Through

Yup,it sure does.Gosh,is he like,in the Witness Protection Program or something? Why is no history of him?! :?
Pyramid Head<3333333333
Heather's mah BFF!!
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

neonblack wrote:
Burning Man wrote:According to the novel, Vincent majored in Mathematics, graduated top class from college when he was 12, was a businessman at Wall Street. Also, he apparently knows tarot.
That does, though.
I'm not convinced that the novel is canon, but you're right.
Burning Man

Post by Burning Man »

AuraTwilight wrote:I'm not convinced that the novel is canon, but you're right.
Okay, I'll bite. What part of the novel makes you question its canonicity?
© 2003-2022 Burning Man.
The contents of this post may only be used within the boundaries of www.silenthillforum.com.
Any usage outside of the aforementioned forum is strictly prohibited.
alone in the town

Post by alone in the town »

I don't know about canonicity, but this description of Vincent is nonsense. He doesn't come across as half the genius a 12 year-old college graduate should be, and since it's well-established that financial gain is his motivation, why would he leave Wall Street to administer a wacky cult in the backwoods of New England? I can't imagine the income stream for that enterprise even touches that of a businessman in the financial heart of the world.
Just Passing Through

I agree. I can't think of a logical reason why he would do that. :?
Pyramid Head<3333333333
Heather's mah BFF!!
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

Burning Man wrote:
AuraTwilight wrote:I'm not convinced that the novel is canon, but you're right.
Okay, I'll bite. What part of the novel makes you question its canonicity?
AITT covered one thing. I'm personally doubtful because the sections I've read have read really awkwardly to me, and between that and this, I'm not confident in the competence of the author. That, and I tend not to take alternate versions of a main work as canonical as a fandom rule, unless there's a good reason otherwise. No reason to take the Movie over the Book for most people, etc.
JuriDawn
SHH Cult Subscriber
SHH Cult Subscriber

Post by JuriDawn »

HeathersVincentFangirlBFF wrote:Why is no history of him?! :?
Because in the grand scheme of things, when you compare him to Heather and Claudia and just about everyone else in SH3, Vincent's pretty insignificant.

Yeah, I went there.

<3
Crush
Just Passing Through

Post by Crush »

alone in the town wrote:I don't know about canonicity, but this description of Vincent is nonsense. He doesn't come across as half the genius a 12 year-old college graduate should be, and since it's well-established that financial gain is his motivation, why would he leave Wall Street to administer a wacky cult in the backwoods of New England? I can't imagine the income stream for that enterprise even touches that of a businessman in the financial heart of the world.
It does if you think about the way he interacts with people. I mean, he doesn't show up a lot in the game, but when he does he's always trying to manipulate people. No small talk, no feelings really, just using them to further his goals. As to why he would leave Wall Street, he also seems to like other people in anguish a little too much. Maybe he left because he missed watching people suffer.
Reload from inventory, reload from inventory, reload from inventory, reload from inventory, huh? Out of ammo!?! Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
Phew. It was only a dream...
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

That doesn't explain any of the objections AITT raised, though. Besides, it's not like people don't anguish in Wall Street. That place is cut-throat.
Just Passing Through

Yes. It's like Financial/Emotional Rollercoaster Land! :mrgreen:
Pyramid Head<3333333333
Heather's mah BFF!!
Burning Man

Post by Burning Man »

alone in the town wrote:He doesn't come across as half the genius a 12 year-old college graduate should be
Vincent also doesn't come across as anyone who has the power to rebuild the Order single-handedly. I would imagine that that's not a feat that any normal person can achieve.
and since it's well-established that financial gain is his motivation, why would he leave Wall Street to administer a wacky cult in the backwoods of New England? I can't imagine the income stream for that enterprise even touches that of a businessman in the financial heart of the world.
The novel doesn't go into detail, but it does explain why Vincent left Wall Street to join the Order. I'm surprised that AuraTwilight thinks it's a valid objection.

AuraTwilight, if you don't know what I'm talking about, then this is your homework. I'm withholding information about the novels until you provide me with some proof that you read the damn books. I'm not going to give out information just so that you could say how shitty it all is.
© 2003-2022 Burning Man.
The contents of this post may only be used within the boundaries of www.silenthillforum.com.
alone in the town

Post by alone in the town »

Burning Man wrote:Vincent also doesn't come across as anyone who has the power to rebuild the Order single-handedly. I would imagine that that's not a feat that any normal person can achieve.
The Order is a small cult in the boondocks. It isn't, and never was, a major religion, probably never numbering more than a few hundred people. There's nothing about the religion (or its revival) that seems out of the ordinary to me. Anyone with a gift for sales and an accounting degree could have done what he did. There are thousands of such cults in the United States today, and I'm safe in assuming that not even the successful live or die by the skill of child geniuses.
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

The novel doesn't go into detail, but it does explain why Vincent left Wall Street to join the Order. I'm surprised that AuraTwilight thinks it's a valid objection.

AuraTwilight, if you don't know what I'm talking about, then this is your homework. I'm withholding information about the novels until you provide me with some proof that you read the damn books. I'm not going to give out information just so that you could say how shitty it all is.
I never said I read the whole books, just portions I've found online.
HeresJohnny
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by HeresJohnny »

Vincent is actually my favorite SH character of all time because of his charisma and strange nature. It would b pretty cool too play SH3 from Vincent's perspective, seeing monsters as ppl...Even though Vincent's morals are questionable at first, he is basically a "semi-good person"by the end of the game. Whats not to like lol
Burning Man

Post by Burning Man »

AuraTwilight wrote:I never said I read the whole books, just portions I've found online.
This is still no proof that you've read anything.
© 2003-2022 Burning Man.
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

Burning Man wrote:
AuraTwilight wrote:I never said I read the whole books, just portions I've found online.
This is still no proof that you've read anything.
It doesn't matter, I haven't read the parts with Vincent in them. All I've read are partial leaks and the demo peeks on sites like Amazon JP