First Puzzle on Hard

Heather finds out why it's true that you shouldn't talk to strangers. Or look in mirrors, quite honestly.

Moderator: Moderators

Sajun
Just Passing Through

First Puzzle on Hard

Post by Sajun »

Okay so the first puzzle on Hard mode. Anyone actually solved this without a guide?

I happened to have two friends present in the room with me when I was working on the first puzzle, both of which were well read in Shakespeare, but after sitting there for I kid you not, an hour, none of us could figure out the puzzle.
Mephisto
Historical Society Historian

Re: First Puzzle on Hard

Post by Mephisto »

I figured out one or two books by myself.
After wasting something like 2 hours or more in that puzzle I decided to search for a walkthrough. . .
Doctor Eggnog
Subway Guard

Post by Doctor Eggnog »

This is the most famously challenging puzzle in the series, followed by the piano and zodiac puzzles of the first game (the zodiac puzzles only being hard because it's so easy). Personally, I just keep my strategy guide handy.
Socially Awkward Penguin is my hero.
Violent Corpse
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Violent Corpse »

Don't you actually have to have good knowledge about those books for solving it?
Sajun
Just Passing Through

Post by Sajun »

Violent Corpse wrote:Don't you actually have to have good knowledge about those books for solving it?
I think the correct way to say it is "massive knowledge" of something like 5 of Shakespeare's works if I remember correctly.

Between my friend and his gf, the two of them had read all 5, but still could not complete the puzzle after an hour.

We ended up finding a strategy guide and still didn't understand the explanation, which was like a page long.
Violent Corpse
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Violent Corpse »

Sajun wrote:
Violent Corpse wrote:Don't you actually have to have good knowledge about those books for solving it?
I think the correct way to say it is "massive knowledge" of something like 5 of Shakespeare's works if I remember correctly.[/quote]
Haha, true that. I think SH3 on hard-mode has the toughest puzzles out of the first 4 SH games (Haven't played the rest).
Last edited by Violent Corpse on 10 Sep 2011, edited 1 time in total.
Kingvegemite
Just Passing Through

Post by Kingvegemite »

I had absolutely zero problems with the puzzle, as I have a (fairly crude) understanding of the plays in question...
...And then there is the last page "One vengeful man spilled blood for two blah, blah blah.."
Took me way too long trying to understand that bit, ended up using the internet to figure out you have to multiply the numbers. WHODAKNOWNEET?!
I used to me Magnum on silenthillforum.co.uk
soam108
Just Passing Through

Post by soam108 »

Yea this puzzle is definitely insane, even if you know the quotes which is possible the multiplying numbers is ludicrous. Oh well, I've never played any SH game with puzzles on hard (probably even normal) without seeking help.
WelcomeToNowhere
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by WelcomeToNowhere »

This puzzle was stupefying, and I could make no sense from it. Thank You Based God for GameFAQs and their Silent Hill 3 section. The worst part of the puzzle was the one-two two-three three-zero section. Even with my highfalutin high school english learnings, I completely derped through all of it.

The "I want to eat your face" love letter puzzle was also a bitch, too. I hate Puzzle Hard Mode, none of it makes sense.
Butcher Incarnate
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Butcher Incarnate »

I first seeked help here in the forum but seeing as everybody was just as stuck as I was I wasted no time looking for a puzzle walkthrough, this one explained the riddle http://m.gamefaqs.com/ps2/561292-silent ... faqs/55463
When Death Comes, It Comes For All.
JoshGecko
Just Passing Through

Post by JoshGecko »

I understood it up until you had to do all the math on the last page. I didn't understand what the hell they wanted me to do :? About a half hour later I just looked up a walk through.
Esperandote
Just Passing Through

Post by Esperandote »

LOL, oh man, this puzzle... Y'know, speaking of hard riddle mode, did anyone else think the translation for the crematorium puzzle was messed up? The first time I played on hard riddle mode, I was so sure I had figured it out that I'd have staked my life on it. But the answer was wrong! When I eventually looked up the answer, I didn't understand why that was the answer. I think the riddle had to do with birds and one of them was an owl. I, at the time, was convinced that either the clues or riddle had been mistranslated.
SAIRENT HIRU no uta minna de utaou!
KageReneko
Subway Guard

Post by KageReneko »

It took me two days, i had some basic kowledge about the Shakespeare books (Although I haven't read any of them... Shame on me) and that helped me so much... I think this has been the longest that I have been stuck in a Silent Hill puzzle... I don't like to look the solution in walkthough... At least the first time...
Esperandote
Just Passing Through

Post by Esperandote »

I just finished the game on hard riddle mode yesterday. I actually was able to solve the Shakespeare riddle on my own this time, remembering nothing about it except that I had to multiply something at some point. What stumped me this time was the cremated key puzzle, which is the one I was talking about in my last post. It confused the hell out of me because the clue for the third number is something like "now the pining hunter... blah blah... his bottomless gut..." and the owl's gurney memo says something like, "he ate and ate and ate..." so I was sure it was the owl. I had to look it up online again. I guess the "hunter" line was the real clue. It's so damn confusing!
SAIRENT HIRU no uta minna de utaou!
put_here_2_feel_joy
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by put_here_2_feel_joy »

I remember way back when, when I played SH3 (my first SH game) I had no access to internet or any form of help. I believe I played it on "normal." I have a notebook full of my notes on each puzzle which would literally take me hours to solve. I even documented my rage-quits. The puzzles were what got me hooked on the series. Gave me something to obsess about.
That being said, I know close to nothing about Shakespeare and I think I has to start over my game and choose "easy." I'm much better with number puzzles.
[img]http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b1/Dredge_/sunsetcopy.jpg[/img]