Why Does Silent Hill 3 Have Such A Lame Ending Variety?

Heather finds out why it's true that you shouldn't talk to strangers. Or look in mirrors, quite honestly.

Moderator: Moderators

Xassis
Just Passing Through

Why Does Silent Hill 3 Have Such A Lame Ending Variety?

Post by Xassis »

So, I just beat SH3 for the first time, and the first thing I do is look up the endings that I DIDN'T get. And, as it turns out, there Is only one ending that you can get on your first play through. There are 2 unlockable endings that you can get after playing through the game again though. I was just curious
As to WHY SH3 has such a lame ending variety? Now, don't get me wrong, I loved sh3 and I think its a masterpiece. I was just curious as to why it has the least endings of any game in the entire series, and why you can only get one ending your first play through? Thanks.
Typographenia
Historical Society Historian

Re: Why Does Silent Hill 3 Have Such A Lame Ending Variety?

Post by Typographenia »

That's a pretty good question. I would have to assume they wanted to pull things back a little more from the tons of endings 2 had.
It could have been they simply didn't want to work in all of the different factors for getting a larger number of endings, it wasn't as important to them anymore, or they thought the Silent Hill No Uta was crazy enough that it was all they needed. It is pretty disappointing, coming off the heels of SH2, that there wasn't more, but at least it wasn't as weak as some of the variations of SH4's endings.
colgatetoothpasteyum
Just Passing Through

Post by colgatetoothpasteyum »

Old dumb post where I say dumb things, ignore this if you come across it.

-3/8/22
Last edited by colgatetoothpasteyum on 08 Mar 2022, edited 1 time in total.
Typographenia

Post by Typographenia »

Bah, you're right. I was totally misremembering the SH4 endings as some tv/radio broadcast with a different animated sequence afterward.
The SH3 endings are even more puzzling to me now, then, haha.
phantomess
Moderator & Cult Member
Moderator & Cult Member

Post by phantomess »

I don't think anyone other than the creators could really say for sure why they didn't make more endings for SH3.
Having said that, I think it's possible that for SH3, they had a particular way they wanted to end it and bring that SH1&3 storyline to a close without having it be questioned too much about what was canon at the end.
Perhaps.
So they provided us with the Normal ending as the real ending, and threw in the UFO & possessed endings to fulfill the multiple-ending tradition.
(?)
Mephisto

Post by Mephisto »

To be fair the majority of the endings, for all of the games, suck. They tend to be very short, you know? The only exceptions are obviously the ones from the second game.

Might have something to do with that damn letter though...
thy_butcher
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by thy_butcher »

Brings me back to thoughts of the thread I created... but that didn't turn out so well. :|

I think that SH3 alongside SHH have terrible endings.
They have endings that are short by SH standards... which is crazy.
I don't mind the lighthearted tone of SH3's main ending, or that it kind of lacks substance; I just wish there was more of it.
clips
Woodside Apartments Janitor

Post by clips »

Yeah...they could have done a much better overall job of wrapping up Heather's endings. Especially since this was a storyline crossing over between two games. With everything that transpired in the game, especially the issues concerning Harry, you'd think they would reward the player with a proper ending maybe going beyond the park and showing what transpires later in the coming weeks between her and Douglas.

That ending credit screen shot was lacking in effort too....as if they are trying to show what Heather was doing after the game ended.
Its Gone Now
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Its Gone Now »

Maybe they had a canon ending in mind and didn't want to have too many alternatives, I don't know, 2 didn't have a follow on ergo no official ending so they had a few more.

And they may have simply realised that the endings are not what most of us play the games for anyway. Take the endings out and I would still enjoy the game. Lets just say that at the end the main character kills the "Boss", walks away, it ends, no real ending, it wouldn't affect the game for me as much as say, I don't know, having a whole game without combat, that's just how I feel.

Some SH endings are good, most I could take or leave.

It reminds me of Stephen King, good stories, just doesn't know how to end them well.
peronmls
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by peronmls »

That was the end of the Main SH story. There is nothing else to add or to speculate. Only 1 or 2 serious endings. So they aren't "lame" but proper.