The Huanted House

Heather finds out why it's true that you shouldn't talk to strangers. Or look in mirrors, quite honestly.

Moderator: Moderators

HarleyQuinnofHate
Just Passing Through

Post by HarleyQuinnofHate »

Well, I guess they were afraid of becoming too cliche. Silent Hill did it wonderfully.
SilentObserver
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by SilentObserver »

I hate this level, you think the red lights are difficult on Hard? Try it on extreme levels, I do believe it's faster. Use an ampoule. You can also stand for as long as you'd like after you go through the door... if you need to get your nerve up. I do not like this part at all, it's the only spot where I have to save (outside) in this whole game because of those hallways. It's a cool little part of the game, yeah, but it loses it's coolness after the oh, 30th time through. Now it's just an annoying part of the game.

I noticed someone earlier in the thread talking about a "Billy" in the mansion. Who's Billy? I thought it was Danny ..
Only some of my posts are serious.
Aldo
Just Passing Through

Post by Aldo »

I remember when I first played this part of the game. On the final stretch I had no idea the light killed you. So I was just calmly walking along when all of a sudden I died, it infuriated me, but that was the last time it killed me. Once I reloaded my save I made it through the mansion easily (this of course was playing on the normal difficulty level).

I like this level so much I youtubed it just to watch it again.
One more soul to the call, for all, in silence...
Comes two more souls to the call, for all, and in time!
Three more more souls to the call, they fall...
Unknowing that four more souls to the call, won't be all, and you know it!
Emzo
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Emzo »

The light confused me D:
The whole concept of a light chasing you and killing you. I just thought it was another scare tactic, but hey, learned the hard way!

The sarcastic style-voice acting during it was absolutely fantastic (Apart from maybe the 'I HADDD TOOO' bit), couldn't have been done any better if you ask me (:
~| I've Come to Change the Order |~
BansheeBird
Just Passing Through

Post by BansheeBird »

I think my favorite part of the mansion (though I haven't personally played it yet unfortunately, just watched it on youtube) is the narrator. The voice and bizarre calmness adds an interesting touch and I can imagine the spectre/person talking having this sinister smile that bleeds into his vioce (Maybe becuase he kinda sounds like vincent Price too :P)

The red mist creeped the hell outta me. Maybe it was the animalistic yips and other strange noises that I can imagine some monster making. Maybe it was that feeling of having death at your heels and being barely able to escape, or maybe it was just that red mist that has no real explanation for being there other than being creepy.
Either way, nice bit of the game.
"You can't fight them...run..."
Lemex
Gravedigger

Post by Lemex »

I just think this bit is a pain in the ass.

The light never got me though, thankfully the first time I played it I had a friend with me who told me to run away from the red light of death.
simeonalo
Historical Society Historian

Post by simeonalo »

Fucking walls switching-around.

The confusion was what made it scary. Not the light, the body, or the atmosphere.

The fucking confusion.
warfare315
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by warfare315 »

I don't mind SH's camera switching antics until the red light that chases you. It jumps around so much and really throws me off on harder levels. But other than that, the Mansion is great. It's kind of like the creepy comedic relief level.

Nothing beats the nightmare hospital, though.
Another frequency perpetuated into context, trapped in the eternal paradox.
vaporeyesofficial.bandcamp.com
Facebook.com/vaporeyesofficial
clips
Woodside Apartments Janitor

Post by clips »

I thought the mansion was well done...i was kinda expecting a bit more tho....like for it to be a really disturbing otherworld, but it was only part of the amusement park and most haunted houses aren't that long to walk thru anyway...i liked it.

And tru enough..the otherworld hospital was just crazy...
phantomess
Moderator & Cult Member
Moderator & Cult Member

Post by phantomess »

I'm kind of amused at people comparing the narrator's voice to Vincent Price's. Sure, I can easily imagine Vincent speaking in that same tone, but the voices really aren't very similar. :?

As for my opinion on the haunted mansion? Could have done without it. It wasn't scary, even the first time through- but I didn't find it to be painfully bad, either. In fact, considering that we were visiting various parts of a theme park, I'm pleased that they decided to include a haunted mansion. There could have been more to it (especially since it's called a mansion) and it could have been much more creepy, in my opinion. And no narrator, or only have him speak at a couple of parts.
DarthVasilius
Just Passing Through

Post by DarthVasilius »

I've heard that all rooms in the mansion have one common and one unique implication. I think that common motif is duality of truth. And what about specail implications?
Final part of mansion is simple. Red means the memories of the past for Cheryl/Heather, so we run away of it or it will kill us. What about the previous three?
Kaiza Killa
Woodside Apartments Janitor

Post by Kaiza Killa »

simeonalo wrote:Fucking walls switching-around.

The confusion was what made it scary. Not the light, the body, or the atmosphere.

The fucking confusion.
I agree. This is the only point in the game that causes, for me, fear and irritation simultaneously.

H+
"Everything above your neck's going to be a fine red mist" - Sniper (Team Fortress 2).
Brodie
Just Passing Through

Post by Brodie »

I have no idea
Death is not the end my Friend
Violent Corpse
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Violent Corpse »

The narrator is so funny!
Skylerness
Just Passing Through

Post by Skylerness »

It scared me!
I wasn't even playing on hard, but the confusing camera angles kept confusing me so I died over and over again at the red mist.
Plus when you're walking and that dead guy comes down from the ceiling. :x
What the hell?
Sergiy
Hope House Careworker

Post by Sergiy »

Skylerness wrote:It scared me!
I wasn't even playing on hard, but the confusing camera angles kept confusing me so I died over and over again at the red mist.
Plus when you're walking and that dead guy comes down from the ceiling. :x
That's Danny :lol:

Scared me too, cause i was focused on the rocking chair guy, and expected him to turn around and scream in my face or something.. But i laughed in the end. :D
Skylerness
Just Passing Through

Post by Skylerness »

So was I... I thought when the narrator said Danny he was talking about the guy sitting down!
What the hell?
Uyrikeustek
My Bestsellers Clerk

Re: The Huanted House

Post by Uyrikeustek »

I always thought that the narrator of the haunted house was the same guy as the radio quiz show host. They just sounded alike to me.
"What can be asserted without proof can be dismissed without proof." ~ Christopher Hitchens R.I.P.