RE: Vincent: Birthing God. Would you?

Heather finds out why it's true that you shouldn't talk to strangers. Or look in mirrors, quite honestly.

Moderator: Moderators

Deadbolt
Just Passing Through

Post by Deadbolt »

"Bebause, AITT, I like living to be 80 but more than that is scary and unknown and therefore baaaad."
Arsonist
Hope House Careworker

Post by Arsonist »

Although I am, in fact, talking about drastically lengthening your life via natural means. This practice is done worldwide, notably in Japan, where an entire culture of 100+-year-olds engage in activities known primarily to significantly younger people.
There is nothing wrong with living for over a hundred years. Due to our genetic make up, humans have potential to live up to about 120 years, and that's fine. If doctors or scientists were to think up a way for all of us to live up to say 125 years, that would be great.

The problem comes in when they try to eliminate death all together via genetic engineering. Having every human live up to 500 years is enough to disturbed the natural balance which has already been disturbed enough, especially if their reproductive ability is also prolonged. Over population, lack of resources and global worming are already a problem, and until those are fixed, I doubt we'll be in any condition to be immortal. And if only a certain layer of people are to live that long, the new breed of elitism would surely be formed. We are already divided by money, race, religions, etc. So why make it even worse? I imagine there would be discrimination towards the people with natural aging process, since they would be unable to be as productive as those who live for 500 years with out aging.
Computers and abortions have nothing to do with each other.
Nice. Quoting me out of context is kind of childish, don't you think so?

You know very well what I've meant. What I wanted to say was that computers and such never created controversy, that is why they eventually became available to a large amount of people in a relatively short time since their invention. While abortions, a controversial issue, that were there since there was pregnancy, have only became legal and available recently in most places. And I imagine that immortality would be more controversial then sucking out a zygote.
Alright, fine. Stop taking medicine, stop going to the hospital, get rid of all the fire alarms in your house...
Medications aren't making me immortal though. Like I said before, there is nothing wrong with having a naturally long life, but extending the said life to infinitum by re-writing your genetic code is a bit on an iffy side, don't you think?
We already do. But you know what also comes with the Singularity? Space travel.
Oh, how lovely, let's focus on ditching this planet, rather then fixing it.
Both of those scenarios are, for a number of reasons, incredibly unreasonable and unlikely under any sort of scrutiny.
Care to name any of the said reasons?

-----------------------------------------

Anyway, upon the moon landing, NASA promised us a manned mission to Mars by 1986, all I have to ask is "Where's my manned mission to Mars, bitch?"

The truth is, space travel vise, we haven't advance too much since the space race.

Yes, technology has advanced a lot in the last hundred years, but don't you think we're giving ourselves too much credit here? The world outside of Africa first became aware of AIDS during the 80's. And guess what, 30 years and still no cure. Thousands have died and thousands are dying, it seems to me like a matter of emergency, more so then someone's folly to live for over 90 years. And yet, there is no cure in sight.

People are still starving and ailing, as they did for thousands of years, until that problem is fixed, immortality, massive space travel and virtual reality sounds like a far, far, far away future.

Anyway, I'm tired of debating. 1) I haven't read his works, so I can't really analyze his theories in depth. You have, so you have serious edge over me

2) This thread itself has nothing to do with singularity, therefore, if this keeps going any further, it will be locked.

3) I'm tired of running in circles.

4) I'm just not smart or confident enough to debate that long while maintaining the basic level of eloquence.

5) Deadbolt is kind of an asshole

So yeah, I'm throwing my towel, you win.
Deadbolt
Just Passing Through

Post by Deadbolt »

The problem comes in when they try to eliminate death all together via genetic engineering. Having every human live up to 500 years is enough to disturbed the natural balance which has already been disturbed enough, especially if their reproductive ability is also prolonged. Over population, lack of resources and global worming are already a problem, and until those are fixed, I doubt we'll be in any condition to be immortal. And if only a certain layer of people are to live that long, the new breed of elitism would surely be formed. We are already divided by money, race, religions, etc. So why make it even worse? I imagine there would be discrimination towards the people with natural aging process, since they would be unable to be as productive as those who live for 500 years with out aging.
Imagine everyone can live forever.

Imagine Earth wasn't the only place we had to live.

No more problem.
Nice. Quoting me out of context is kind of childish, don't you think so?

You know very well what I've meant. What I wanted to say was that computers and such never created controversy, that is why they eventually became available to a large amount of people in a relatively short time since their invention. While abortions, a controversial issue, that were there since there was pregnancy, have only became legal and available recently in most places. And I imagine that immortality would be more controversial then sucking out a zygote.
You don't think computers never created controversy? Go read some old newspapers and magazines and say that again.

Medications aren't making me immortal though. Like I said before, there is nothing wrong with having a naturally long life, but extending the said life to infinitum by re-writing your genetic code is a bit on an iffy side, don't you think?
Most medicines you use are genetically engineered. That's not natural.
Oh, how lovely, let's focus on ditching this planet, rather then fixing it.
Who says you have to do either one or the other? A post-Singularity society will probably do both.
Care to name any of the said reasons?
Because the Singularity is a post-scarcity scenario and thus there's no rational or desirable reason for anyone to try to horde resources or try and rise up and overthrow people in a bid for power.
Anyway, upon the moon landing, NASA promised us a manned mission to Mars by 1986, all I have to ask is "Where's my manned mission to Mars, bitch?"

The truth is, space travel vise, we haven't advance too much since the space race.

Yes, technology has advanced a lot in the last hundred years, but don't you think we're giving ourselves too much credit here? The world outside of Africa first became aware of AIDS during the 80's. And guess what, 30 years and still no cure. Thousands have died and thousands are dying, it seems to me like a matter of emergency, more so then someone's folly to live for over 90 years. And yet, there is no cure in sight.

People are still starving and ailing, as they did for thousands of years, until that problem is fixed, immortality, massive space travel and virtual reality sounds like a far, far, far away future.
So we haven't instantaneously cured one of the worst diseases ever. That means no Singularity? Things take time. Murphy's Law says, however, and this is directly observed, that technology's processing speed doubles every two years. However, following that, the next iteration will only take one year, then six months, then...eventually you hit the Singularity,which is practically infinite processing speed, and thus infinite technological power.

2) This thread itself has nothing to do with singularity, therefore, if this keeps going any further, it will be locked.
The Singularity and the question of "Birthing God" are pretty relevant to each other, since they're pretty much the same thing in secular/religious terminologies, respectively.
5) Deadbolt is kind of an asshole
How so? You got along with AuraTwilight fine, from what he told me, as we argue pretty much the same.
alone in the town
Historical Society Historian

Post by alone in the town »

Seriously, Arsonist. Read the book. You quite honestly will find almost every single concern addressed.

Needless to say, our future is not biological, and it's going to drastically alter the way we approach everything.
JuriDawn
SHH Cult Subscriber
SHH Cult Subscriber

Post by JuriDawn »

This thread is way off topic and devolving into flaming. Anyone who wants to discuss the Singularity in depth is welcome to do so here.

Now be nice or I'm gonna have to cut some bitches.