any one notice?

Heather finds out why it's true that you shouldn't talk to strangers. Or look in mirrors, quite honestly.

Moderator: Moderators

Anonymous

any one notice?

Post by Anonymous »

has anyone noticed how heather is almost unaware of the hell she is experiencing. an example could be when sheawnsers the phone in the locker in the hospital. she isnt even phased by the fact that a pay phone was in a locker. Also at the amusement park when Douglas gets hurt she exclaims " i'll call an ambulance!". what is she going to tell them? " Please come quick im at the amusement park from hell!" lol. just wondering if anyone else thought this.
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

I've thought about it, but she is aware of it in some instances...I don't remember specifically, but she gets grossed out by something. *shrugs*

She's probably just thinking about getting through everything. I know if I was in a hell world and found a phone in a locker I'd probably have done the same thing--there's no time to question it's reason for being, really.

Heather probably said 'I'll call an ambulance" because that's what one would say in such a situation, minus hellish settings.

I think she wasn't as frightened as most people would have been, but then again, if she was cowering in fear every five seconds, how enjoyable would the game have been?
Fullofhate87
Just Passing Through

Post by Fullofhate87 »

The makers of Silent Hill don't want to give too much emotion to the characters in that form.. They want YOU to be grossed out, YOU to be scared, etc. etc. They want YOU to say "What the hell?" and since you're the main character, be it Harry, James, Heather, or Henry, their reaction is pretty much your reaction.
History is made by those who say "No."
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

true very true :D
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Fullofhate87 wrote:The makers of Silent Hill don't want to give too much emotion to the characters in that form.. They want YOU to be grossed out, YOU to be scared, etc. etc. They want YOU to say "What the hell?" and since you're the main character, be it Harry, James, Heather, or Henry, their reaction is pretty much your reaction.
I agree with that too. Many games make you the emotionally responsible one for what's going on in the game. When things are lead too much, it feels too linear. :)
alone in the town
Historical Society Historian

Post by alone in the town »

Well, with all the shit she encounters by the time she gets to that locker room, I just can't see a disconnected phone being the straw that breaks the sanity's back.

Besides, she's trying very hard not to let it get to her, because if she does, she will go bonkers. On several occasions you can see her resolve cracking, and after defeating the final boss, it crumbles completely.

Also, keep in mind, she IS Alessa, so none of what she sees is completely alien to her...
Archaeis
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Archaeis »

James was even worse about it than Heather though. He really didn't react at all the the sit going on around him.
[i]The first biological requisite
of the Higher Evolutionaries
is the realization that
natural evolution is complete.[/i]

Artificial evolution has begun.

[i]The first psychological requisite
of the Higher Evolutionaries
is the realization that
they do not need gods.[/i]

For they are gods.

[b]Legacy - Of the Higher Evolutionaries[/b]
amphreded

Post by amphreded »

I think the creator also wants you to think there's something wrong with these characters too.
[size=84][b]QUICKLINKS | [/size][size=75][url=http://silenthillforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=2362]SH1[/url] |[url=http://silenthillforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=2313]SH2[/url] |[url=http://silenthillforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=2327]SH3[/url] | [url=http://silenthillforum.com/viewtopic.php?p=43347#43347]SH4[/url] |[url=http://silenthillforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=17936]SH:H[/url] | [url=http://silenthillforum.com/viewtopic.php?p=391270#391270]SH:O[/url] |[url=http://silenthillforum.com/viewtopic.php?p=85043#85043]SHMovie[/url] |[url=http://silenthillforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=12563]SHGeneral[/url] |[url=http://silenthillforum.com/faq.php]FAQs[/url][/size][/b]
[size=84][color=grey][i]

[/size][/color][/i]
Goodnight

Post by Goodnight »

The other thing is that the protagonists often only make comments about being unnerved when you examine items. If Heather had been commenting on everything that was weird via cut scenes, the game would have been too slow.

She was certainly horrified by the barbecued dog.
Anonymous

Re: any one notice?

Post by Anonymous »

Gunner_ue wrote:has anyone noticed how heather is almost unaware of the hell she is experiencing. an example could be when sheawnsers the phone in the locker in the hospital. she isnt even phased by the fact that a pay phone was in a locker. Also at the amusement park when Douglas gets hurt she exclaims " i'll call an ambulance!". what is she going to tell them? " Please come quick im at the amusement park from hell!" lol. just wondering if anyone else thought this.
I think one of the answers lies in the fact that as Alessa, Heather experienced a world like that for a number of years.. She mentiones(when she sees the dead body under the newspapers in the subway) something similar to what you are saying.( i believe it was something along the lines of : "this nightmare seems to have numbed my senses a little" So she's probaly pretty used to it, don't you think?
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

i agree with alone in the town up there... by the time she fights that giant worm she is probably thinking well it cant get worse than this so it just feels like another werid thing when stuff like the phone happens... that probably how i would feel if it was happening to me, i really hope it never happens to me
PHOENIXinFLAMES
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by PHOENIXinFLAMES »

alone in the town wrote:Well, with all the shit she encounters by the time she gets to that locker room, I just can't see a disconnected phone being the straw that breaks the sanity's back.

Besides, she's trying very hard not to let it get to her, because if she does, she will go bonkers. On several occasions you can see her resolve cracking, and after defeating the final boss, it crumbles completely.

Also, keep in mind, she IS Alessa, so none of what she sees is completely alien to her...
Word.
-"And no, no complaints about sporks being far more threatening than either. Or the two combined. Clearly, the spork is the more fearsome of the three..."

-"......What the FUCK are you talking about!?"
agawa
Just Passing Through

Post by agawa »

I always thought that Heather was far more emotional about it than the other characters. She at least freaks out on more than one occasion, usually at other people in relation to the situation (Oh ho, a rhyme!) and often has plenty to say at horrific objects. It makes sense to me that she wouldn't comment on everything- after awhile, the only way to live in that condition would be to block it out.

Actually, I think the worst was Harry. James just seemed to be ignoring stuff as best as he could- there was that 'I don't even want to think about it anymore' comment, and other like it. However, Harry barely commented on anything. I don't really mind, since it makes me think he was merely focused on his 'mission', but if he had been shocked a few more times it would have been nice.

And Henry? Hell, I think he was just happy to get out of his bacholer pad. The only excitement in there was Eileen shaving her right armpit umpteengazillion times anyway.

EDIT: Also, by the time Heather begins vocalizing faint memories of Alessa, I think she's already desensitized, and that it didn't really have anything to do with Alessa at all. It's just a survival mechanism- don't think, just do. Actually, if she started to remember specific memories of Alessa, the shock of it may have scared her even more, although that's just pure speculation, and isn't really related.
silenthell88
Woodside Apartments Janitor

Post by silenthell88 »

Actually she was very hessitant to answer the phone. I think she was aware that everything around her was potentially dangerous. Sometimes she isn't like this tho like with Leonard she laughed him off like no big deal. lol
Mis Krist.

Post by Mis Krist. »

agawa wrote:Actually, I think the worst was Harry. James just seemed to be ignoring stuff as best as he could- there was that 'I don't even want to think about it anymore' comment, and other like it. However, Harry barely commented on anything. I don't really mind, since it makes me think he was merely focused on his 'mission', but if he had been shocked a few more times it would have been nice.
Ya kiddin' me? Harry reacts all the time!
Harry from various scenes in SH1 wrote:Harry: (seeing… something peculiar like a corpse strung up on a fence or something) What is this? What’s going on here?!
Harry: What’s that? Huh, radio. What’s going on with that radio?
Harry: What was that?! Who in the hell was that?
Harry: What’s this…?
Harry: What’s this? Some kind of altar? I’ve never seen anything like this before… Maybe this is the other church. (gasps) What the?!
Harry: What’s this?! Mmf! Oh. OH. … Huh?
Contrary to the belief - and trust me, I didn't think this until recently - Harry is a great deal smarter and more observant than people may realise. Sorry to go off topic, though.
I'm not dead yet, dammit.
AnneMarie
Woodside Apartments Janitor

Post by AnneMarie »

I'm surprised Heather didn't crack into hysterical laughter at the phonecall in the locker room - my two young children found that amusingly funny and not scary. SH3 has a few funny scenes... and a lot of frightening ones! :lol:
Oh, another blocked door... Oh, another blocked door... Oh, another blocked door... Oh, another blocked door................ Locked. F*** it.