Insane Cancer

Heather finds out why it's true that you shouldn't talk to strangers. Or look in mirrors, quite honestly.

Moderator: Moderators

Herr Shaun
Gravedigger

Post by Herr Shaun »

Let me help you. What happens after something burns? What is a byproduct of fire?
You've got your good things, and I've got mine.
AuraTwilight
Historical Society Historian

Post by AuraTwilight »

Burns. Not Cancer.
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
JuriDawn
SHH Cult Subscriber
SHH Cult Subscriber

Post by JuriDawn »

I think he's trying to make a joke about Heather not "smoking" anymore because she was burned, and therefore smoldered. Hilarious.
Herr Shaun
Gravedigger

Post by Herr Shaun »

JuriDawn wrote:I think he's trying to make a joke about Heather not "smoking" anymore because she was burned, and therefore smoldered. Hilarious.
Ding-ding, we have a winner! And it was supposed to be a groaner, don't act like I intended it to be anything more. :P
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

Oh. I thought you were trying to imply that being burned caused lung cancer.

Ok, yea, it's totally funny. XD
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
simeonalo

Post by simeonalo »

It symbolizes the corruption of Dahlia and The Order
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

I don't see the relevance. You can't really call the assholishness of the Order as a "Cancer", and even so, it's not all that relevant to Heather.
pyramidheadkiller007
Just Passing Through

Post by pyramidheadkiller007 »

Cancer is like a tumour mass that just grows.. or it can have masses grow right? They aren't supposed to be there. Maybe that is what Alessa/Heather thinks of the god in her. God is a cancer that is taking over her body
Mr.Webs
Just Passing Through

Post by Mr.Webs »

ShaunOfShadou wrote:
CryingInTheCorner wrote:if you examine the ashtray, heather says something along the lines of, "I don't smoke. At least not anymore." This shows that she used to smoke, so the monster must be a visualization of her fear of lung cancer.
Or maybe that was a grim reference to the fact that Alessa was burned. :lol:
Wa wa waaaaaa. :lol:

But seriously folks, I always was under the impression that, cancer, much like the fetus, is an unwanted 'sickness' that grows and grows inside of her, until eventually it's a hulking grotesque mass. Hence, Heather's visualization of the Insane Cancer.
In my restless dreams, I see that town....Silent Hill.
Herr Shaun
Gravedigger

Post by Herr Shaun »

Wow, I was a riot two years ago. :P
Mr.Webs
Just Passing Through

Post by Mr.Webs »

Hehe. What can I say? I'm a total sucker for a good pun. :lol:
In my restless dreams, I see that town....Silent Hill.
True
Just Passing Through

Post by True »

pyramidheadkiller007 wrote:Cancer is like a tumour mass that just grows.. or it can have masses grow right? They aren't supposed to be there. Maybe that is what Alessa/Heather thinks of the god in her. God is a cancer that is taking over her body
Hmm, never thought about it that way :o
I always thought since Heather quit smoking that she might've quit cause she feared ending up with lung cancer or something.
untamedbananaslug
Just Passing Through

Post by untamedbananaslug »

Burning Man wrote:Biologically, the fetus can be considered a type of cancer.
LOL. Nowhere in a medical textbook would you find a fetus being classified as a type of cancer.
Weyoun
Just Passing Through

Post by Weyoun »

Yes, but the fetus growing in Heather isn't a normal fetus.
Kaiza Killa
Woodside Apartments Janitor

Post by Kaiza Killa »

untamedbananaslug wrote:
LOL. Nowhere in a medical textbook would you find a fetus being classified as a type of cancer.
When we have the ability to "build" our children this most cetainly will change. :wink:

H+
"Everything above your neck's going to be a fine red mist" - Sniper (Team Fortress 2).
Son_of_Kauffman
Gravedigger

Post by Son_of_Kauffman »

untamedbananaslug wrote:
The cancer analogy is wrong.
I believe that within the context of the game, a fetus can be considered a parasite, draining resources from the mother´s body to sustain itself.
In my opinion the insane cancer represents the fear of something parasitic growing out of control.
Spetsnaz of the Interior Troops of the Ministry of Internal Affairs of Russia
Spetsnaz sil Vnutrenniye Voiska Ministerstva Vnutrennikh Del

http://egan.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/05/20/california-will-survive-its-crackup/?ref=opinion

Think of Italy — which reminds me of California in so many ways — and its chronic inability to form a government. That’s California, with even better food and no parliamentary system.
....somewhere in Italy a contract was put out on the life of the article's author.
Kaiza Killa

Post by Kaiza Killa »

Son_of_Kauffman wrote:
untamedbananaslug wrote:
The cancer analogy is wrong.
I believe that within the context of the game, a fetus can be considered a parasite, draining resources from the mother´s body to sustain itself.
In my opinion the insane cancer represents the fear of something parasitic growing out of control.
...and to add to this. The so-called "fetus" inside Heather isn't exactly a normal fetus now is it? It is an interloper to her body.

H+
"Everything above your neck's going to be a fine red mist" - Sniper (Team Fortress 2).
Datenshi92
Just Passing Through

Post by Datenshi92 »

I agree with what some people before me said.
Insane Cancer does seem to be a symbol of an an anormal mass growing inside of Heather.
But my doubt is: why fat? Some of the other monsters can also look like walking "cancers", like the Numb Body and the Closer in some aspects, why is this one different?
The only thing I can make out of all this is that the Insane Cancer looks like its ready to blow at any moment.
Maybe Heather is also afraid of becoming fat, wich, being "pregnant" its something that most likely will happen, her body changes for the development of the fetus.
The aspect of these monsters look like they're ready to blow, might be connected to the fact that the fetus will "blow" out of her body at any moment, like it happens with Claudia, we don't see a normal birth, but her body does disapear.
Kaiza Killa

Post by Kaiza Killa »

Datenshi92 wrote:I agree with what some people before me said.
Insane Cancer does seem to be a symbol of an an anormal mass growing inside of Heather.
But my doubt is: why fat? Some of the other monsters can also look like walking "cancers", like the Numb Body and the Closer in some aspects, why is this one different?
Perhaps it is necessary to be "fat" so as to appear overtly like an un-natural "growth".

H+
Däniken
Just Passing Through

Post by Däniken »

Son_of_Kauffman wrote:The cancer analogy is wrong.
Growing fetus is made of dividing cells and is not part of normal anatomy of the person in question. In this way it resembles cancer but the analogy only goes so far. Main difference is obviously that cancer cells lack the normal mechanisms restricting cell division. I find the analogy quite insightful anyway.
I am Malth. You will never get past me.