Acting.

Heather finds out why it's true that you shouldn't talk to strangers. Or look in mirrors, quite honestly.

Moderator: Moderators

michinobu_zoned
Just Passing Through

Douglas

Post by michinobu_zoned »

Fan from Silent Hill wrote:About Douglas, I did notice how he was making unnatural pauses between he's words... But overall I liked the acting crew. :)
His voice acting, for me, was the least natural out of all the cast. He didn't sound like I thought he should've in those situations.

PS Kick ass Avatar! Fucking Berserk! rocks!
David01
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by David01 »

I look at it this way, I thought sh3 actually had some of the best voice acting. I mean look at sh1.. sheesh the acting in that was so painful to listen to.. it looked like to dolls talking to one another.. it's like someone got ahold of their barbie collection and cast them in silent hill.. but that was the first game of sh.. sh1.. the voice acting was wooden as hell in that game.

Sh2.. slightly better.. but only one part was wooden for me in sh2.. when James says "I'm looking for.....someone......someone.. very important to me!" then after that it was ok.

But as far as acting in sh3.. I thought it was all well and good.. Douglas was a bit off when he says to Heather "Why don't you start by.. telling me...what..happened here.. sounded kinda like he was trying to take a healthy shit and grunting it out.. lmao.. sorry could not resist. Anyway.. sh3 had decent acting in it.. sh4 was good too.. except for Henry.. that guy sounded like he was either mentally retarded or stone.. or both. :lol:
The only way for evil to continue, is for good men to do nothing!!!!
Jonipoon
Subway Guard

Post by Jonipoon »

>but some of Heather's lines were cheesy
The worst being "So what?".
I EAT GALAXIES FOR BREAKFAST.
SilentMadness
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by SilentMadness »

I really liked the voice acting in sh3 even though some like vincent, claudia, and douglas...hell anybody that wasn't heather voice was a little off. Claudia with her bad english accent, vincent I noticed talked a little bit too slow almost like you were on the edge of your seat waiting for him to say his next word. "I seen how your father like to hit you..........kicked you..........and made you cry"
and then douglas, poor, poor, douglas had the strangest talk known to man. Every single sentence at the end had his tone dropped (the best way I can descibe it)
Need an example, listen to how he talks while talking with heather in the apartment.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XK15Cc5hUGE
"It doesn't matter if you're smart, dumb, ugly, pretty...IT'S ALL THE SAME ONCE YOU'RE DEAD!"--Eddie Dombrowski
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
words to live by
Mis Krist.
Historical Society Historian

Post by Mis Krist. »

Jonipoon wrote:>but some of Heather's lines were cheesy
The worst being "So what?".
That was far from the worst D:

"Looks like God didn't make it."
"You can't be dead! I was gonna kill you!"
"Don't you think blondes have more fun 8D!" (after pretending to STAB SOMEBODY)
"Ohhhh, really?" (with some stupid look that's supposed to be coy, I bet)
I'm not dead yet, dammit.
The Adversary
RESPECT

Post by The Adversary »

And Heather's best line (of internal monologue)? "There's a completely average picture hanging here."

Average pictures are the worst.
This post is the property of its author and is not to be used elsewhere without explicit permission from the author.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.
Jonipoon
Subway Guard

Post by Jonipoon »

Cool, I didn't know Heather had a best line.
PeachySakura24

Post by PeachySakura24 »

I thought Heather's best line was the whole "Shut you mouth, you stinkin bitch!" or whatever it was. :D
That is very sad that Douglas's voice actor passed away. His illness certainly explains why his voice sounded like that.
Maybe Claudia was like Crystal from Roseanne. From those of you who never watched the show, Roseanne had a friend named Crystal who was raised in Illinois but spoke with a southern accent. One day Roseanne confronted her about it and she yelled that her father was raised in the south. Maybe Claudia heard someone talking like that, liked it, and adopted it as her own accent. Or maybe they didn't want her to have the same voice as Angela, and didn't want her to have an Australian accent, so the actress settled for the British thing.
crucifix

Post by crucifix »

can't forget when heather's facing leonard. upon seeing a giant monster rise out of the water, she sees fit to wonder aloud if "every person here is a mental case?"

after which she declares, "well, i guess you're not a person anyway!" with a bit of a smirk.

just... no.
no longer active. thanks for the memories.
Alessyl
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by Alessyl »

I liked the voice acting.
Are you still following me? Do I have to scream? ~Heather
abrasive
Just Passing Through

Post by abrasive »

The voice acting of Silent Hill 3 never really bothered me - I thought it was all appropriate. You just have to take into account who these people are - similarly to how Silent Hill 2's voice actors sound terribly awkward until you realize the characters are all terribly awkward people.

Heather has some vaguely cheesy lines - but she's an angry, stressed out, emotional teenage girl, and they say weird, cheesy things. (I'm saying this as an angry stressed out emotional teenage boy.) The desperate "I'll get you for this!" sounded realistic to me. The only thing she says that I found weird even in the context of Silent Hill is how she seems to automatically think that Claudia is responsible for the world turning upside down (while she was right, it still seems weird to me that he would think Claudia had godlike powers over the world around from the get go, unless you chalk it up to the fact that the subconcious Alessa inside of her is having a heart attack over the realization Claudia's back in the picture.)

Douglas is really old and tired, both physically and mentally, and people like that tend to talk slower (although I never really awknowleged that he talked oddly slow - it seemed natural to me). Interesting observation by Sway West (two years ago, heh) at the start of this thread, by the way. Douglas's job would require him to be very slow and patient with people.

Vincent's a presumptuous goon, 'nuff said.

The only particularly odd thing was Claudia's accent. It fit her character perfectly, but I too found myself wondering how the hell she managed to pick up that accent living in the USA. Maybe she's faking it like the pretentious religious fanatic she is - I wouldn't put it past her, hah.
dr bones
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by dr bones »

honestly, i thought douglas sounded strange as well. like an alcoholic or something.

but partway through the game it grew on me. it is what it is, y'know? i guess it fits his character.

other than that, yeah.... vincent was weird. he enunciated things strangely and talked with ridiculous gestures and facial expressions. guess that fit his character, too.
"Fault always lies in the same place, my fine babies: with him weak enough to lay blame."
"The lies and the mist are not they but I. You all know that I am One. Yes, and the One is I."
SilentMadness
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by SilentMadness »

Funny you should mention the facial expression, because according from the making of silent hill 3 video on youtube, the creator said that if you notice vincent's eyes do not look at the person he speaks to and his eyes are always shifting everywhere else when he speaks. I should look into that.
"It doesn't matter if you're smart, dumb, ugly, pretty...IT'S ALL THE SAME ONCE YOU'RE DEAD!"--Eddie Dombrowski
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
words to live by
Jonipoon
Subway Guard

Post by Jonipoon »

>the creator said that if you notice vincent's eyes do not look at the person he speaks to and his eyes are always shifting everywhere else when he speaks. I should look into that.

Also, the lips first begin to move 1/4 second after the sound. That's what I noticed.
Xigz
Hope House Careworker

Post by Xigz »

I thought Douglas sounded like some kind of tutorial guide or questioner.
"What do you want to do" sounds really off.

Vince was fine.
[b]I'm constant now, and useful too.
I know my eyes cannot see through.[/b]
phantomess
Moderator & Cult Member
Moderator & Cult Member

Post by phantomess »

I always liked Douglas, including his voice actor. I thought his voice acting was decently done and that the gruff and weathered sound of it went pretty well with him, as a detective.
Detective Cartland
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by Detective Cartland »

The voices are fine; the responses are good to the enviroments, I don't know how much nitpicking you guys can do.
[img]http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i309/Juridawn/Graphics/DouglasSig.jpg[/img]
[i]"And everything seemed to be going so well...."[/i]
ur-vile
Hope House Careworker

Post by ur-vile »

Silent Hill 3 by far had the best voice acting, and was up there with 2 for the best quotes. I think one of the reasons I enjoy 3 so much is that Heather is the most believable protagonist in the series.
The Adversary
RESPECT

Post by The Adversary »

>vincent's eyes do not look at the person he speaks to
This was done intentionally so the audience would recognize him for the lying and conniving little shit that he is.
This post is the property of its author and is not to be used elsewhere without explicit permission from the author.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.
Detective Cartland
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by Detective Cartland »

Hes a psychopath which is evident by the conversations Heather has with him. You don't have to look at his eyes to figure that out. :P
[img]http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i309/Juridawn/Graphics/DouglasSig.jpg[/img]
[i]"And everything seemed to be going so well...."[/i]