Gans not returning, sequel likely to focus on Alessa

Discuss the latest about the second Silent Hill Movie

Moderator: Moderators

JKristine35
Subway Guard

Gans not returning, sequel likely to focus on Alessa

Post by JKristine35 »

Don Carmody talks about SH2:
"Well, we have had a bit of a hiccup with Roger," admits Afterlife and Silent Hill producer Don Carmody in an exclusive chat with Shock Till You Drop. "We're just debating whether we can wait for him. He's writing the script for sure."

Although actress Radha Mitchell has voiced interest in starring again (her involvement is unconfirmed right now), one original key player won't be back: director Gans. "I don't think he wants to come back. He'll have some input for sure. In his mind, I think he wanted to do the first one and for this he's very happy to consult, but I think he wants to direct something new," says Carmody who has some definite ideas about how to improve the Silent Hill franchise's big screen counterpart.

"I think we need to make it a little more accessible to the movie-going public," he says frankly. "Silent Hill is not a blockbuster game like Resident Evil or the other games out there. It's a connoisseurs' game. It has its own, rabid fan base. They're not cheap, these things. You have to appeal not only to the gamers, you have to appeal to a wider audience. So we have to get some story in there that helps explain a bit more. I think that's all happening. Of course, [the story] is going to happen years later and the main character - without giving too much away - is much older and representative to the movie-going public which is in that age group."
http://www.shocktillyoudrop.com/news/to ... p?id=12891
lost carol
Just Passing Through

Re: Gans not returning, sequel likely to focus on Alessa

Post by lost carol »

Of course, [the story] is going to happen years later and the main character - without giving too much away - is much older and representative to the movie-going public which is in that age group."

i have a feeling that the movie would be like silent hill 3, including heather in it. :? well it might. especially if the movie-going public age group is teenagers. :?
my cherished memories shattered by reality,there my shattered memories....
JKristine35
Subway Guard

Post by JKristine35 »

They'd be idiots to make it PG13. I'm assuming they may drop Jodelle and have a version of Alessa in her 20's or they're going to make her character 17 or 18 and give her enough makeup to look the role, which would make sense for the age group of any rated horror movie.
angelofROOM302
Historical Society Historian

Post by angelofROOM302 »

:shock:
What is happening with the movie!
I don't want to see Rose back again.. UGH! It needs to have a unique story!
heavensnightsh

Post by heavensnightsh »

Yeah, saw this earlier but was excited to think
PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER_SHOW PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER:
heather
would be in the movie. I vote for Ellen Paige to play her! She'd be perfect :oops:
[img]http://i41.tinypic.com/dbmhpc.gif[/img]
(o ) ( 0)[size=75]WOOO!|[url=http://www.silenthillheaven.com/wiki]Silent Hill Wiki[/url]|[img]http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s278/razrguy/tray.gif[/img]"What the hell is it?"[/size]
( ) ­ [size=75]I wanna thank you for this chance to be [color=teal]angels[/color] [/size]
[img]http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s278/razrguy/Pokemon.gif[/img][img]http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s278/razrguy/HarryPotter-2.gif[/img][img]http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s278/razrguy/LGDare.gif[/img] Thank you Harrys_Girl for the Drawing Block!
[size=59][I am currently permitted to display a larger avatar thanks to my status as a supporter of SHHF][/size]
cascade88

Post by cascade88 »

I heard one time a while back that if they did a sequel, it'd be more akin to the events in SH3, which a teenaged Sharon, or something like that.

I'd prefer it if they did an entirely different story line for the sequel, one that didn't neccesarily copy a game storyline either. That's doubtful though, I suppose.
єเภ ןє๔єг єภﻮєl เรt รςђгєςкlเςђ
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

Well, there goes the "Mr. DaSilva looking for Rose" theory.
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
JKristine35
Subway Guard

Post by JKristine35 »

AuraTwilight wrote:Well, there goes the "Mr. DaSilva looking for Rose" theory.
Thank God, that was the worst possible scenario.
The Adversary
RESPECT

Post by The Adversary »

Eh. Whatever. I'm calling a straight-to-DVD release.
This post is the property of its author and is not to be used elsewhere without explicit permission from the author.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.
JKristine35
Subway Guard

Post by JKristine35 »

That's extremely unlikely.
angelofROOM302

Post by angelofROOM302 »

Silent Hill 2 is surprisingly the number 9 most wanted movie release on upcominghorrormovies.com! :mrgreen:
http://www.upcominghorrormovies.com/anticipated_movies

I'd prefer it if they did an entirely different story line for the sequel, one that didn't neccesarily copy a game storyline either. That's doubtful though, I suppose.
I agree.
I would just LOVE for them to do a completely different and new storyline kind of like how the series went with 2. But I can already see the complaints from people saying, "It has nothing to do with the original!"
Däniken
Just Passing Through

Post by Däniken »

heavensnightsh wrote:I vote for Ellen Paige to play her! She'd be perfect :oops:
Very good. Very similar face.
I am Malth. You will never get past me.
alone in the town

Post by alone in the town »

angelofROOM302 wrote:Silent Hill 2 is surprisingly the number 9 most wanted movie release on upcominghorrormovies.com! :mrgreen:
http://www.upcominghorrormovies.com/anticipated_movies

I agree.
I would just LOVE for them to do a completely different and new storyline kind of like how the series went with 2. But I can already see the complaints from people saying, "It has nothing to do with the original!"
No matter what happens with this movie, a lot of people are going to bitch about it.
Lucita
Just Passing Through

Post by Lucita »

"I think we need to make it a little more accessible to the movie-going public"
This sentence creeps the hell out of me!
I just hope they won't change the whole story...I hope... :roll:
"Ignore the voice, it'll go away!"
=====================
JKristine35
Subway Guard

Post by JKristine35 »

Lucita wrote:"I think we need to make it a little more accessible to the movie-going public" This sentence creeps the hell out of me! I just hope they won't change the whole story...I hope... :roll:
I think that means they'll have Alessa spell out the meaning of what happened in the first movie because they're irritated at all the people that didn't get it.
Lucita
Just Passing Through

Post by Lucita »

[/quote] I think that means they'll have Alessa spell out the meaning of what happened in the first movie because they're irritated at all the people that didn't get it.[/quote]

God bless your words JRamirez!!!! I hope he was reffering JUST to this!
"Ignore the voice, it'll go away!"
=====================
ashatteredmemory
Gravedigger

Post by ashatteredmemory »

I wonder how they are going to sequel Silent Hill 1, as we saw Rose and Sharon still in the foggy world...
"Grown-ups tell kids there's no such thing as monsters, that the Bogeyman is just make-believe, and there's nothing hiding under their beds, but that's a lie. Because I've seen 'em." - Murphy Pendleton
jdnation

Post by jdnation »

Some details worry me, such as being more appealing to a broader audience... This can be taken either way.

- This could mean they'll explain things a bit more as he suggests, which I'm okay with in a way if that means bringing more of the cult mythos to life as to how the town and the evil works...

- This could also mean dumbing it down to PG-13 levels to broaden the audience and stupyfying the story so it's too easily understood and thus nutering it.

- As for the returning character, I was sorta hoping for an original storyline with a completely unrelated person, but I guess one that follows Silent Hill 3 closely could be cool!

- Hopefully Gans gets to pick a good director as he suggested he would if he couldn't return and has some heavy involvement.

Well Resident Evil is popular but they still managed to make films that are totally unlike the original games anyway. Broadening the audience can still happen by marketing a film on it's uniqueness from the run of the mill horror!

I do agree that the story can be better and a bit more straightforward approach. I'm okay with that so long as it's not stupidly simple. But this is pretty odd to say considering the ending of teh first film pretty much spelt out everything through a monologue. But they can also slowly unravel more about the cult mythos and how Alessa's power works, but at the same time they should keep a little mystery and ambiguity to it too. That's what makes the games so great. You understand the story in a straightforward way, but the elements workign in teh background are what is intriguing and that's always veiled in a mysterious fog that only offers clues that the viewers/players ought to piece together on their own.
Apocali
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Apocali »

Maybe it's kind of a good thing that it might be toned down. Silent Hill was never really about violent and gory scares, and one of the complaints of the first movie that I heard that it got ridiculous with the violence at times.
jdnation

Post by jdnation »

Apocali wrote:Maybe it's kind of a good thing that it might be toned down. Silent Hill was never really about violent and gory scares, and one of the complaints of the first movie that I heard that it got ridiculous with the violence at times.
Well horror movies tend to contain gore. While Silent Hill had it too, and so do the games, but not in an overtly gorey way, I didn't feel the film used it gratuitously. It did so when it made sense and was largely symbolic. I felt it was just right enough.