SH:R Director Michael J Bassett's blog

Discuss the latest about the second Silent Hill Movie

Moderator: Moderators

WelcomeToNowhere
Brookhaven Receptionist

Re: SH:R Director Michael J Bassett's blog

Post by WelcomeToNowhere »

I'm not sure--to me, it looks more like a blue sky. I'll bet this still is from when she's in the real world, on the way to The Mall. PROGRESS IS EXCITING! :D
emFox
Just Passing Through

Post by emFox »

teosoleil wrote:Image

I'm thinking that's from a prologue or epilogue of some sort, or maybe on her arrival in Silent Hill. Heather seems to be in a normal slightly gray (but not too fogged out, though that could be the visuals not being edited yet) background with a coat over her SH3 clothes, if you look closely (orange and white is underneath the jacket).
I've watched Bassett's "Deathwatch," "Wilderness" and "Solomon Kane," and so far he's always included a prologue of sorts to each film. They run for about ten minutes before the title comes up and the plot kicks into gear. I was feeling the same way seeing this photo. It's blurry, but I like to imagine the film starts with her heading off to the mall and she sees something on the way that troubles her.

This is purely speculative, though.
Tabris
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by Tabris »

emFox wrote: I've watched Bassett's "Deathwatch," "Wilderness" and "Solomon Kane," and so far he's always included a prologue of sorts to each film. They run for about ten minutes before the title comes up and the plot kicks into gear. I was feeling the same way seeing this photo. It's blurry, but I like to imagine the film starts with her heading off to the mall and she sees something on the way that troubles her.

I haven't seen any of those yet. But I really hope you're right on this, since a lot of the SH games start off with a 'nightmare' of some sort.

I'd love it a lot if Revelations starts off similar to SH3. The nightmare is pretty in your face right off the start. Even if it's not the same, I really hoping it's just as (or even more) intense. I want to be in an audience full of people who have no idea what SH3 was about to get absolutely mindfuckered by what they're seeing on the screen.

I'm hoping there's a lot more of the nightmare world in this movie. That was one of the downfalls for me in the original movie. The pacing needed to be a lot more terrifying and relentless on the mind like the original titles were.
jdnation
Historical Society Historian

Post by jdnation »

Looks like the Woodbine Center fair behind her, though it is a bit blurry... :P

Given the game starts out in the mall, I expect the film will more or less start out there too.

I don't think it's a given there'll be a prologue of some sort... could be... like maybe Heather explaining that she's on the run with her father or something... But I don't think a narrator style will suit the film all that well. It's likely Bassett will try and maintain some of the presentation of the first film with the exception of Alessa's summary of events to Rose which wasn't technically a narration for the audience but something being directly communicated to Rose. If anything that 'narration' bit which nobody liked is probably all the more reason Bassett may avoid it and go for the 'show, don't tell' approach with Revelation being a film where we journey with the character uncovering things and discovering things about what's going on and about herself as we go along. I expect we won't even see Christopher until at least halfway through, as the 'Revelation' of the film for general audiences not familiar with the game is that Heather is Alessa/Sharon.

I suspect the film will start off with a horrific dream sequence that were just thrown in to, similar to the start of the game. Then Heather wakes up in the mall... Much more suitable for the opening of a horror film... and to foreshadow things to come.
WelcomeToNowhere
Brookhaven Receptionist

Well, I think it's been mentioned that she'll be in the Otherworld with her friends, or at least her known associates and acquaintances. If that's so, then an introduction to her interpersonal relationships would probably be important, you know? Otherwise it'd just seem like a random bunch of strangers thrown together for plot purposes. :/
teosoleil
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by teosoleil »

emFox wrote:I've watched Bassett's "Deathwatch," "Wilderness" and "Solomon Kane," and so far he's always included a prologue of sorts to each film. They run for about ten minutes before the title comes up and the plot kicks into gear. I was feeling the same way seeing this photo. It's blurry, but I like to imagine the film starts with her heading off to the mall and she sees something on the way that troubles her.

I, too, am leaning on that it's a prologue. It seems like she's holding her backpack or some sort of strap on her shoulder. Maybe Heather has a nightmare about the otherworld, wakes up at the mall, sees the carousel ride and "Happy Birthday Heather/Alessa!" balloons (that were in that one screenshot), goes home, discovers that her father is missing (the synopsis says that Heather discovers her father gone or something), picks up from there.

Seems likely because the mall rides & balloons would foreshadow the Lakeside Amusement Park later on in the movie. I doubt the mall screenshots were a flashback, that would be way too recent for it to be. It's probably something Heather encounters or sees as a vision when she begins her adventure.
Tabris wrote:I'm hoping there's a lot more of the nightmare world in this movie. That was one of the downfalls for me in the original movie. The pacing needed to be a lot more terrifying and relentless on the mind like the original titles were.
Me too, I hated the lack of otherworld in the first movie. But you have to keep in mind that the audience is not just Silent Hill fans. They have to appeal to a wide variety of movie-goers, and a lot of nightmare world would have been too much money and it could have hurt the reception for the original film.
WelcomeToNowhere wrote:Well, I think it's been mentioned that she'll be in the Otherworld with her friends, or at least her known associates and acquaintances. If that's so, then an introduction to her interpersonal relationships would probably be important, you know? Otherwise it'd just seem like a random bunch of strangers thrown together for plot purposes. :/
I'm also thinking this is what's happening. We need personality into Heather which is why just a small amount of characters (like the games) won't let us get to "know" Heather. I think the first film was good in giving Rose the caring personality earlier on of a dedicated mother through the use of a prologue and extra characters, a movie isn't going to give comments through examination of items like the games do. I hope they don't add in too much characters with no value, like Christopher. (I just didn't like Chris, wish he wasn't in the movie at all--served no purpose, although any later purpose for him to be in Revelations is just plain chance/luck for a sequel).
JKristine35
Subway Guard

Post by JKristine35 »

Supposedly the balloon scene shows a clown stumbling backwards in surprise, so my guess is that Heather sees the balloons and is then pulled into a flashback of a clown scaring Alessa at her birthday party, causing her to exhibit her powers. Bassett said he was going to clear up Alessa's whole story and keep to Gans' interpretation, and one of the biggest things needing explaining is that Alessa had powers before the burning. This scene could be Bassett's way of emphasizing that and hinting at the relationship between Alessa and Heather at the same time.
WelcomeToNowhere
Brookhaven Receptionist

Do you think he'll be referred to as "Harry Mason" in the film, for the purposes of eluding any dangerous people involved with the Cults, like in the ganes? Or just "Chris"?

@JKristine35: I like the sound of that. A little mystery in a film adds to the mystique and makes it better, like the Briefcase in Pulp Fiction, but too much mystery and you get The Lost Highway, I think it was called, which made no sense at all.

Also, will the "Dark Alessa" fragment of her soul peek out, like in the first movie? Perhaps the Memory of Alessa from SH3 will be made into a more grown-up Dark Alessa. That'd be cool. :mrgreen:
JKristine35
Subway Guard

Post by JKristine35 »

Someone reported seeing a little girl in a purple dress with black hair chasing cultists seen in the first film, so it sounds like Dark Alessa will definitely be making an appearance, at least in flashbacks. Memory of Alessa is probably technically the same as Dark Alessa, I think. Other than that, I have no idea if an older version of her might pop up. I'm guessing all 3 children will be making an appearance, as Heather remembers her existence as each of them. I'm really curious to know who the actress is for Sharon, Alessa and Dark Alessa.
Mr.FLOOT
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by Mr.FLOOT »

I'm loving reading all of these theories, and I'm getting even more excited thinking that the movie is closer and closer to being released (hopefully anyway). Lets hope a trailer is released soon.... or even a website like we got with the first film.
Aerith Gainsborough

Post by Aerith Gainsborough »

JKristine35 wrote:Supposedly the balloon scene shows a clown stumbling backwards in surprise, so my guess is that Heather sees the balloons and is then pulled into a flashback of a clown scaring Alessa at her birthday party, causing her to exhibit her powers. Bassett said he was going to clear up Alessa's whole story and keep to Gans' interpretation, and one of the biggest things needing explaining is that Alessa had powers before the burning. This scene could be Bassett's way of emphasizing that and hinting at the relationship between Alessa and Heather at the same time.
That's actually good to hear, since in the final cut of the movie it never really states if Alessa had powers before the burning or not, which means that her being called a 'witch' just really sounded like she was one only for being a lovechild, and that's...stupid.
I'm rarely on the forums anymore. Click here for ways to reach me.
teosoleil
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by teosoleil »

^ Yeah, the aspects of Alessa's powers were only vaguely hinted at. At least we have a writer willing to clear up and fix mythology without too much retconning, at the same time adding his own mythos.
JKristine35
Subway Guard

Post by JKristine35 »

The idea they were driving for was to show that Alessa herself never understood she had powers, and so she assumed that anyone who accused her of it was just saying that because of her lack of a father. That's why Dark Alessa never touches on it, and since most of the backstory is never explained before then, it ends up confusing people. The line "When you're hurt and scared for so long, your fear and pain turn to hate, and the hate starts to change the world" shows that Alessa honestly believes anyone in as much pain as her can create alternate realities and monsters and doppelgangers and so forth. I think the creators assumed that people would pick up on her having powers by the breaking of the chain during the burning, the wilting of the flowers, and the destruction of Lisa.
Aerith Gainsborough

@teosoleil:

I don't know if you've read the original script but in the original script it goes into detail more about her powers and examples of them. The final cut didn't really clarify as much, but of course it's not going to be expected to due to budget costs and what not.

The script is definitely something one should look into if they're into reading scripts and enjoy the first film.

If anyone is interested in reading the script, go to the link posted in the OP (courtesy of JKristine, herself) of this thread. Feel free to talk about it there, too. ;)
WelcomeToNowhere
Brookhaven Receptionist

^Ooh, I know what I'M going to be doing for the next few days. Thanks Aerith, JKristine. :)
teosoleil
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by teosoleil »

JKristine35 wrote:The idea they were driving for was to show that Alessa herself never understood she had powers, and so she assumed that anyone who accused her of it was just saying that because of her lack of a father. That's why Dark Alessa never touches on it, and since most of the backstory is never explained before then, it ends up confusing people. The line "When you're hurt and scared for so long, your fear and pain turn to hate, and the hate starts to change the world" shows that Alessa honestly believes anyone in as much pain as her can create alternate realities and monsters and doppelgangers and so forth. I think the creators assumed that people would pick up on her having powers by the breaking of the chain during the burning, the wilting of the flowers, and the destruction of Lisa.
Yes, I hope they bring this into Revelations into more detail than the original script. The breaking of the chain, at first, looked accidental in my view and the wilting flowers went by unnoticed when I first watched. In fact, I never noticed the wilting flowers until my third time watching--it just wasn't given enough attention as an explanation to Alessa's powers.

Aerith Gainsborough wrote:@teosoleil:

I don't know if you've read the original script but in the original script it goes into detail more about her powers and examples of them. The final cut didn't really clarify as much, but of course it's not going to be expected to due to budget costs and what not.

The script is definitely something one should look into if they're into reading scripts and enjoy the first film.

If anyone is interested in reading the script, go to the link posted in the OP (courtesy of JKristine, herself) of this thread. Feel free to talk about it there, too. ;)
I've read the original script :) (Pendulum scene was scrapped!) It had some brilliant ideas that I liked and some ideas I didn't like. If there was more balance between the final movie and the original script, I would have been happier.
WelcomeToNowhere
Brookhaven Receptionist

The idea that all the damned townspeople possessed pale blue eyes strck me as a great idea. It would give everyone an unearthly, faintly uncanny feeling.

The idea that Sharon has bright-blonde hair and is Chris and Rose De Salvo's biological daughter, however, cast the rewrites in a better light, I should think. The plot makes too-little sense that way. Also that silly Pyramid-Head-Great-Knife-Javelin scene's deletion was probably a good call, too. I mean, REALLY? A big fucking sword THAT huge and heavy, hurled frisbee-like through the air? :mrgreen:
CrypticIdentity
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by CrypticIdentity »

From his Twitter:
Finished the final mix. Sounds fabulous. Worked so late the security guards locked us all in by accident but finally got free.
W00T.
Aerith Gainsborough

^Saw that, and was tickled to see it. Though, I feel like I've heard this so many times...

Oh well, more progress? :D
JKristine35
Subway Guard

Post by JKristine35 »