Official: Adelaide Clemens and Kit Harington to star

Discuss the latest about the second Silent Hill Movie

Moderator: Moderators

VIVIsect
Historical Society Historian

Re: Official: Adelaide Clemens and Kit Harington to star

Post by VIVIsect »

Adelaide Clemens wrote:I am looking forward to getting my teeth into some kung fu training.
Boy, I can't wait to see Heather karate chopping her way through hordes of Pyramid Heads! IN 3D!!!! Image
nobody is anybody
kumiko
Gravedigger

Post by kumiko »

VIVIsect wrote:
Adelaide Clemens wrote:I am looking forward to getting my teeth into some kung fu training.
Boy, I can't wait to see Heather karate chopping her way through hordes of Pyramid Heads! IN 3D!!!! Image
not only that I read on one of the articles posted in one of the sh2 movie threads they were going to get guy chi to do a cameo can you imagine that running and screaming from ph then sundenly a bloke like james appears
Youma Taisan!
bl00dmuffin
Just Passing Through

Post by bl00dmuffin »

If that's not a joke, maybe the kung fu training will serve the sole purpose of some smooth evasion shots. Or maybe I'm just being unreasonably optimistic.

The running and screaming sounds about right, though. That's basically how Radha Mitchell described her role in the first film. Movies have to be a little more emotionally involved than video games. Heather didn't scream a lot because the game left the emotional responses mainly to the player, whereas characters in films are the ones reacting.
jdnation

Post by jdnation »

The 'kung-fu' training might not be what some of you think it is. It could just be her personal trainer on set to give her exercises so that she has more energy and can perform better. Plenty of actors in physically demanding roles will have some exercise trainer with them to keep them in shape. Maybe she exercises through a martial arts form. It doesn't mean we'll be seeing Heather doing kung-fu in the movie.

And realistically Heather would be yelling and screaming if monsters are attacking her and she doesn't know what the heck is going on. Most cutscenes in the game are of her talking to people, or too scared to make a sound because of some astonishing things happening before her or she's just too pissed off which involves yelling and screaming. But don't take the gameplay presentation of her seriously, that just you controlling her and playing a videogame, so of course she doesn't 'seem frightened' most of the time.
Numb Body01

Post by Numb Body01 »

If you read the article it goes further, juxtaposing her role as Heather *against* other, more deep and psychologically involved characters she's played. True, the kung-fu thing but not be what it sounds like, and maybe Heather won't just run around screaming 75% of the time but it's not an encouraging little interview. We'll see I guess.
Music created by the fans, for the fans. . . . . . . . . . . . . . Vol. 1 | Vol. 2 | Vol. 3
jdnation

Post by jdnation »

Well in this one she's doing more physical things, and it's not an indie film, this time she'll be in a relatively mainstream horror film which arguably doesn't require some grander performance. But I'm sure Basset picked her based on her previous work so he was indeed looking at the characters she portrayed and wants her to bring that with her.

I wouldn't read much more from the interview, whoever was interviewing her probably doesn't know much about the franchise and thinks this will be a dramatic change expecting this to be some slasher flic.

Arguably one could even see that some self defense expertise might even fit in with the plot as her father is on the run to protect her, so he must've taught her some basic self defense, which doesn't necessarily mean she's going to be some super strong action movie star in this film.
CrypticIdentity
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by CrypticIdentity »

adelaidenow.com.au wrote:Producers say the advances in 3D technology will allow them to take audiences deeper in the world of Silent Hill than they ever dreamed possible. "Devotees will finally be able to enter this realm along side of Heather, Vincent, Harry and Rose and experience the psychological horror and the fear of the unknown with them."
Besides the whole 3D thing, do I see confirmation about Vincent being in this movie (and virtually a confirmation that Kit Harington is playing him, since he and Adelaide Clemens were the first names they released, and we already know who's playing Harry and Rose)?

Yes, I think I do. Not really a groundbreaking development, but it's something.
Numb Body01

Post by Numb Body01 »

Yeah, pretty sure he's confirmed to play Vincent now. No mention of either Claudia or Douglas yet though...
Music created by the fans, for the fans. . . . . . . . . . . . . . Vol. 1 | Vol. 2 | Vol. 3
jdnation

Post by jdnation »

The director teased on his blog that there's more casting news to reveal, so very likely it's Claudia and possibly Douglas. They're probably both relatively new and unknown actors.
SilentWren

Post by SilentWren »

^DO WANT Douglas. ;)

About the kung fu allegations: Kung fu looks better than taekwondo. Lemme explain further.....
It makes sense that an overprotective parent would teach their daughter to/make sure she knew how to defend herself. And the combat training makes enough sense on it's own because Heather has to battle the otherworld, so.....yeah.
The above user visits this forum *very infrequently.* If you need any type of response or answer from her, she may or may not be able to provide it in a timely manner.

Thank you for understanding. <3

http://silenthillforum.com/viewtopic.ph ... 28#p674128
jdnation

Post by jdnation »

I'm personally hoping for the ghost of Cybil to make a guest appearance at the amusement park alongside the Memory of Alessa :P
lain of the wired
Location: Is this not Eorzea? Where the hell was that exit...?

Post by lain of the wired »

The Adversary wrote:If Valtiel is in the film, expect a scene in which r.p.t. is in his chamber from Silent Hill 2, and, from behind it, is Heather sneaking around, watching the r.p.t., from behind, lifting his helmet off, Darth Vaderesque, revealing . . . Valtiel.
*bursts into irreconcilable tears*

Am I the only one who actually remembers what Heather's outfit looks like in the game? Except for the vest (which still isn't right except for the color), it's all wrong! I know, I know, relatively a very minor complaint... but at the same time, if they can't get something that minor right, it makes me very worried about the major stuff they can fuck up.
You'll be missed. You were missed. I am missing you.
jdnation

Post by jdnation »

lain of the wired wrote:Am I the only one who actually remembers what Heather's outfit looks like in the game? Except for the vest (which still isn't right except for the color), it's all wrong! I know, I know, relatively a very minor complaint... but at the same time, if they can't get something that minor right, it makes me very worried about the major stuff they can fuck up.
Really? This is bothering you? :?

There are guaranteed to be differences in the film. And besides there is absolutely no reason to get minute details like costume exactly right. Arguably there was no necessity to get the costume exactly right at all because that was never a factor. The fact that they did this much only tells me they are going to lengths to be as faithful as possible, which is a good sign if anything!
VIVIsect

Post by VIVIsect »

^ Just wait until you see movie Heather wearing a pair of big ol' gaudy Uggs.
nobody is anybody
CrypticIdentity
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by CrypticIdentity »

lain of the wired wrote:I know, I know, relatively a very minor complaint... but at the same time, if they can't get something that minor right, it makes me very worried about the major stuff they can fuck up.
It's difficult for me to understand this line of thinking when people bring it up. From a storyteller's perspective, wouldn't they want to get the essentials correct first, things like Harry and Heather's relationship, the motivations of characters like Vincent, Claudia, and Douglas, and the overall atmosphere (since SH is so much about atmosphere), before worrying about minor details like a character's clothing?

In the case of characters like Claudia, Douglas, or Vincent, I could understand it, since their clothing clearly indicates something about what they do (Claudia is a sister, Vincent is a priest, Douglas is a detective). Heather is a 17-year-old girl. As long as they don't change her clothing so that it drastically changes her character--for example, having her wear all black and lots of eyeliner to appeal to a Goth demographic or something--I don't see what the problem is. I'm not saying the costume they gave her in the movie is any better than the video game one--in fact, so far, neither really seem like things I'd actually see people wearing. But that might just be me.
Last edited by CrypticIdentity on 19 Mar 2011, edited 1 time in total.
Mephisto

Post by Mephisto »

If this Heather isn't going to wear a skirt then I hope for a very skinny jeans!
lain of the wired
Location: Is this not Eorzea? Where the hell was that exit...?

Post by lain of the wired »

I liked her outfit in the game: it was very deliberately not a Sexy Heroine costume, and I really liked that. If you make a video game movie, you keep the distinct look of the characters. Look at Tomb Raider, or the Resident Evil movies. People would probably be weirded out if they suddenly made her a red-head, for instance. It's just a really weird thing to change. And I hate to point out a bit of a logic flaw there, jdnation, but in changing it, they're not being as faithful as humanly possible to the game.

I'm perfectly willing to accept that I may be the only one who cares (and apparently I am, from the way people are jumping on me about it), but I do still maintain that when people get small, easy stuff wrong, there's some cause to worry about the big stuff they may also screw up. I mean, it's not the only thing I'm concerned about, but other people already addressed that stuff. The kung-fu mention, for instance... wow.

@CrypticIdentity: That's kind of the thing, though- why bother changing it at all? And actually, I've seen people wearing that vest a lot lately. High boots have been in for a while now, too, and miniskirts have been around since forever, so I'm not sure why it's so hard for you to picture people IRL wearing something like that.
You'll be missed. You were missed. I am missing you.
Lafayette_Reynolds
Just Passing Through

Post by Lafayette_Reynolds »

I'm sorry but I think if Clemens wore Heather's exact outfit from the video game it would look kind of cheap and cartoonish.
Lafayette_Reynolds
Just Passing Through

Post by Lafayette_Reynolds »

Because it looks like clothes that a video game character would wear, not real people, unless they're cosplaying.
capillaries
Just Passing Through

Post by capillaries »

I'm sorry but I think if Clemens wore Heather's exact outfit from the video game it would look kind of cheap and cartoonish.
she still looks kind of cheap and cartoonish to me. i don't like that there's so much orange (just hate that color, really </3). but all in all, i'm not that bothered by them changing it.. i would like some costume designer to explain their thinking, because really. like lain of the wired said, why bother changing it at all? what's the purpose..

(p.s. i love.. serial experiments lain.. just had to put it out there.)
Last edited by capillaries on 18 Mar 2011, edited 1 time in total.