Music of Silent Hill Revelations

Discuss the latest about the second Silent Hill Movie

Moderator: Moderators

How good do you think the new movie will be?

EPIC BEYOND BELIEF!!!
9%
Awesome!
29%
Cool
29%
Okay, I guess.
18%
Meh.
6%
Oh god it's gonna suck
6%
FAILURE
2%
{other} (please specify)
2%

Total votes: 66

WelcomeToNowhere
Brookhaven Receptionist

Re: Music of Silent Hill Revelations

Post by WelcomeToNowhere »

Mary Elizabeth McGlynn sings in the last song in the movie, the one that plays during the credits. I think it's called "Silent Scream," and it's original to the movie. It was amazing! Hearing her voice with a heavy metal sound playing behind it just fit so well. :)
KiramidHead
Historical Society Historian

Post by KiramidHead »

I actually liked most of the music. It was nothing too special, but good all the same. Some of the tracks had a bit of a Carpenter-esque vibe to them, which I dug the hell out of.
Droo

Post by Droo »

Mary's song was good.

The soundtrack was a fail to me. They only used a handful of SH songs and filled the rest with generic string-based orchestral background music. No big surprises like Wounded Warsong showing up unexpectedly in the first one.
"Oh yeah, I've been here before
I can see it with eyes closed
Shadows that look like blood
Dead as far as the mind goes
Fear that comes from my head
Lives in the mirror"
phantomess
Moderator & Cult Member
Moderator & Cult Member

Post by phantomess »

Droo wrote: No big surprises like Wounded Warsong showing up unexpectedly in the first one.
Yeah, I was a tad disappointed about that.
Droo

Post by Droo »

When I first heard Wounded Warsong in the first film, I was like "NO WAY! A song from the least well-reviewed (at the time) SH game?!"
"Oh yeah, I've been here before
I can see it with eyes closed
Shadows that look like blood
Dead as far as the mind goes
Fear that comes from my head
Lives in the mirror"
CrypticIdentity
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by CrypticIdentity »

A lot of my friends (who aren't big SH fans) really enjoyed the soundtrack, and while I liked bits and pieces of it, they just didn't have the same impact as the tracks used in the first film. And the first film was my introduction to the series.

The big players in this one were "Never Forgive Me, Never Forget Me" and "Promise (Reprise)" again, both prominently used in the first one. I understand them wanting to write an original soundtrack for this movie, but... Gah, I just saw the movie a few hours ago, so I'm still trying to parse out why different elements didn't work for me, and what could've worked better.

The soundtrack they had was certainly the soundtrack for the movie Bassett made. And by that I mean that if they had gone with the same approach as the first movie--using mostly tracks from the games and adding bits of orchestration on top of them--it probably wouldn't have worked as well.

For the record, I prefer the first movie to Revelation. And a big reason the first movie drew me in was because the music was so distinctive.

Also, the "Wounded Warsong" moment in the first movie is one of my favorite musical cues in the whole movie, and that was without having heard the track before.

Some of the choices they made in this soundtrack were interesting, especially the slowed-down "Promise (Reprise)" at one point. I think it was early on in the movie. I was pleasantly surprised, too, when "Rain of Brass Petals (Three Voices Edit)" started playing over the credits, because for a long time I'd thought, Dude, that'd be the perfect credits song for this movie, since they already used "You're Not Here" for the first one. But they'll never do it; the songs too obscure.

Jury is still out on the Mary Elizabeth McGlynn song for me. I didn't get to listen to the whole thing in the theater, but I wasn't really digging the more metal sound. I've always thought of the SH rock songs as being dark, almost grungy alt-rock songs, but this sounded more like the songs Akira wrote for Shadows of the Damned. Mostly it's the guitar tone; even "Angel's Thanatos," as heavy as it is, feels like it fits in the SH soundscape because its guitar tone is so crisp.

I'm starting to nitpick, so I'll stop. I'll have to re-listen to "Silent Scream." Don't know if I'll get the rest of the soundtrack.
Aerith Gainsborough

Post by Aerith Gainsborough »

I found the music enjoyable for the most part. I liked the use of familiar tracks, particularly Silent Hill tracks. I wish "You're Not Here" was in this film like it was in the last one, since it's one of my favorite SH songs, but oh well.
I'm rarely on the forums anymore. Click here for ways to reach me.
RinoTheBouncer
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by RinoTheBouncer »

Seriously? I thought there will be a soundtrack made by Akira, not various samples from the same song mixed with some mediocre sound clips that they basically all sound the same.
Twitter: @RinoTheBouncer | www.rinothebouncer.com | Instagram: @RinoTheBouncer
Yuki

Post by Yuki »

RinoTheBouncer wrote:Seriously? I thought there will be a soundtrack made by Akira, not various samples from the same song mixed with some mediocre sound clips that they basically all sound the same.
Akira did indeed do it, man. Jeff Danna helped out as he did in the first film, but Akira was most definitely involved.
Loveless_Dogg

Post by Loveless_Dogg »

The music was "MEH" to me. But at the same time I kinda liked that they rarely used the music from the game. The game music in the first movie is the reason why I always fall asleep during the same boring pointless scenes, so it was nice that it took a back seat to the actual score this time around. It made certain moments feel atmospheric when the game music was turned down and more subtle, almost on a subconscious level.
Value your failures more than your successes. Successes only last until someone screws them up. Failures are forever. She left...and...I'm lost.
mikefile
Gravedigger

Post by mikefile »

Altogether, the soundtrack was nothing special at all, and personally a strange choice on Akira's part. There were very cool bits of remixed songs that lasted like 10 seconds, while the rest 5min of the tracks were just typical movie background music with a SH sound here and there (ex. the beginning of Room of Angel and the first part of A Stray Child).

Frankly, the Never Forgive Me, Never Forget Me and Promise (Reprise) remixes were overused. I mean, it's nice to give the film a music theme and everything, but it just didn't stick to some scenes if you ask me.

You know what I did with the soundtrack? I put it on iTunes and cut out the parts I didn't like, that is: I extrapolated the cool pieces of the actual song, leaving out the boring mainstream sounds.

The parts I found kind of epic were the last minute of Armless/ The Missionary Attack, the Never Forgive Me, Never Forget Me remix part of Vincent and Heather Open the Box track, the Clockwork Little Happiness part in the Born and Raised in Silent Hill and the The Carousel/Red Pyramid Battles the Missionary was also a very awesome track (without the monotonous pesky orchestral music in the middle), especially the final part: if you listen closely you'll see a reference to Kill God- the crazy sound with a quiet piano playing in the background. It's a nice song because it manages to reference the game soundtrack without having even to remix or use any part of the song.

The Rain of Brass Petals fits very well the Frozen Time credits, as Mary's song, too. Her astonishing voice mixed with crazy ass music always achieves a positive contrast effect.

All in all, I tried to focus on the good parts. Nevertheless, the first soundtrack fits ten times better the movie. Although, for some reason I found the Revelation soundtrack more enjoyable as standalone music.
wonder's boy
Woodside Apartments Janitor

Post by wonder's boy »

Like other aspects of this film, I didn't find myself impressed with the soundtrack as I was with the first film. But I feel like that is, again, weighing Revelation with the original film too much in mind. It is what it is. The first just did so many things well in its attempt to be both original and familiar to the games that the sequel seemed to struggle straddling both worlds. The music was just...there.

There were those moments when a familiar track, even new ones, came in and it seemed to belong to the experience. Mostly things were either caught up in the rush so you couldn't really hear the freaky music before it was gone, and some slower sounds dipped into the boring end of the pool. It'll be nice to re-watch it with headphones on.
Music created by the fans, for the fans. . . . . . . . . . . . . . Vol. 1 | Vol. 2 | Vol. 3