Teaser posters

Discuss the latest about the second Silent Hill Movie

Moderator: Moderators

Aerith Gainsborough
Historical Society Historian

Re: Teaser posters

Post by Aerith Gainsborough »

To be honest, my friend and I both didn't like the mouthless Alessa one. You can tell they photoshopped it, it's just so obvious. It's like, I can't explain it! It's like, you can tell where they took it off and stuff. Sorry to anyone who liked it, or even made it, but...eh.
I'm rarely on the forums anymore. Click here for ways to reach me.
jdnation

Post by jdnation »

Well of course it'd be photoshopped, and someone without a mouth is obvious, but that's not my issue with it. It just felt pretty bland. It stood out to be sure though so maybe that's why they went with it...

Someone I know managed to nab a 30 foot long banner of it that hung from the ceiling of a theater... I wonder if they still have it... :P
Aerith Gainsborough

Well, yeah, I mean, there would be no other way to do it besides PS or something like it. What I mean is that it just was very noticeable.
zach9044
Just Passing Through

Post by zach9044 »

well I did not like that because for one it reminded me of a specific scene from the matrix, and honestly I did not see anything that would had to do with any meaning behind the photo shopped closed mouth idea, of course I could have to watch it again, and see if I am missing any hidden point.

That is just my opinion, I felt it was irrelevant to the story, and seemed like they were doing to basically get more butts in the seats. That is how I see it anyways.
KingCrimson
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by KingCrimson »

^Yeah, I agree. If the picture was of Alessa, they never really took away her ability to speak as such, or removed her "voice" per se. If it's supposed to be Sharon somehow, she's the one who instigated the whole sequence of events with her screaming and sleepwalking, so that doesn't make sense either. :?
gomezaddams
Just Passing Through

Post by gomezaddams »

I've always disliked the mouth-less poster, as well as the U.S. dvd cover art.
god it was terrible. for a while i actually wondered if the art department were
trying to sabotage the film.
in my mind i had this scenario where the person in charge of the main poster
thought ''hmm, silent hill. i know! someone without a mouth is silent! yeah!''
and that's all i could think of after that when i saw the poster.
the dvd art just looks like some bad b-movie. ''look at all of these monsters! and the girl with no mouth! and it's orange, like fire!''

and i know what you mean about the photoshop being obvious. they fixed it up a bit better on the U.S. cover, but the one of just sharon, it's like they didn't correct the shading/contrast where they took it out. it just doesn't blend correctly...or at all.
http://www.stuffwelike.com/stuffwelike/ ... ntHill.jpg

god that's terrible. almost as bad as homecoming's U.S. cover.
Mr.FLOOT
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by Mr.FLOOT »

It just never made sense. I mean, they had the poster competition, and they market it with this shoddy one instead. Ah well.
Hopefully the SH:R poster looks better when that gets released.
jdnation

Post by jdnation »

I wouldn't expect them to really consider using submissions to the poster competition to be anything more than just something to get the fans involved.

Marketing departments etc. usually never use anything fan made unless they get the person to sign numerous documents etc. handing all rights over to them so they don't get accused of using someone else's efforts to produce actual material to make money.
Mr.FLOOT
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by Mr.FLOOT »

jdnation wrote:I wouldn't expect them to really consider using submissions to the poster competition to be anything more than just something to get the fans involved.

Marketing departments etc. usually never use anything fan made unless they get the person to sign numerous documents etc. handing all rights over to them so they don't get accused of using someone else's efforts to produce actual material to make money.
That's true, however they did use the winning poster for the HMV Exclusive DVD cover. Which sadly I never managed to get my hands on :(
jdnation

Post by jdnation »

There's also this other one that I believe is fan made by the same guy :

Oddly enough, someone is selling it :P
http://www.moviepostershop.com/silent-h ... oster-2012
Numb Body01

Post by Numb Body01 »

The winning fan-poster submission was used a lot to market the original film, in England at least. I have it hanging up on my wall as I type.
Music created by the fans, for the fans. . . . . . . . . . . . . . Vol. 1 | Vol. 2 | Vol. 3
Yuki

Post by Yuki »

jdnation wrote:There's also this other one that I believe is fan made by the same guy :

Oddly enough, someone is selling it :P
http://www.moviepostershop.com/silent-h ... oster-2012
I like this one, but I dislike the tagline. Without it I think it could be great.
simeonalo

Post by simeonalo »

I feel like the fan-winning poster for the first Silent Hill movie should have been darker. It has the right vibe--mysterious, large, empty, vague, alone, cold, etc...but it was just too bright. You know what I mean? If it was a little darker and had more of a veil or vignette around the edges, I would be happy...

the Silent Hill Revelation fanposter seems a little too grunge for me. Something more like the first...I just can't...look... at all that green. It makes me think of vomit...when I should be thinking of fog. Maybe I'm nitpicking too much, eeh :P
JKristine35
Subway Guard

Post by JKristine35 »

The mouthless poster is full of symbolism, everything from Alessa's lack of a mouth (Alessa's physical body is mute due to the fire) to the missing pupils (representing Alessa's soul becoming detached from her physical body after the burning) to the cracks (just like Alessa's skin was cracked by the fire). A lot of thought and effort was put into that poster, and it perfectly represented the heart of the movie's story - Alessa's suffering.
The winning poster, on the other hand, was the product of someone taking an already released screenshot and slapping a title on it, using photoshop skills even a child could replicate. It would have taken them a good 2 minutes to put it all together. The only reason the poster works is because the screenshot it comes from is suitably creepy. There's no meaning or thought behind it whatsoever.
pink_isnt_well000

Post by pink_isnt_well000 »

I'm sure we will see a lot more fan posters in the coming months. I hated the official poster for the last movie. Hope they can do better with this one...
CrypticIdentity
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by CrypticIdentity »

Dude, if they did a viral marketing campaign with the Halo of the Sun popping up everywhere, that would be awesome. I think the Facebook group (which I believe is unofficial) for the movie is already encouraging that, but I would love a poster that just had the Halo of the Sun on it and the release date (maybe the title, too, and a website link--sort of like the new poster for The Dark Knight Rises). Of course, the probably WON'T do that, since anyone who's unfamiliar with the franchise would just see the poster and be confused, but...well, I can dream.

How cool would it be to walk by the movie theater at the mall and just see a Halo of the Sun on the wall?
Numb Body01

Post by Numb Body01 »

That'd be sick.
Music created by the fans, for the fans. . . . . . . . . . . . . . Vol. 1 | Vol. 2 | Vol. 3
Aerith Gainsborough

I like the Halo of the Sun, but...it's getting really old. Everyone keeps using it, and it's a tad bit annoying. I would love to NOT see the Halo of the Sun, and instead see something symbolic that hasn't be used over and over and OVER.